“Three reminders for a pot of tea?”
Review of Raasay House

Raasay House
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish, Bar, Cafe
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Raasay House Dining Our Restaurant, Cafe and Bar offer a delightful range of dining experiences all with a fabulous view across the Sound of Raasay to the Cuillin Mountains of Skye. We understand how important food is to your Raasay experience, and we work hard to make sure it's one of the reasons you'll visit us again and again. Our 'Food Philosophy' Our approach is simple. We source the best local, seasonal ingredients, and we prepare them in a delicious, authentic, wholesome, uncomplicated way.
Reviewed July 9, 2013

It was wild, wet and windy on our afternoon's visit to Raasay so we popped into the hotel for a cup of tea. I have to say I found the staff to be more absorbed in their own conversation than serving customers. Further, it required three reminders before my humble pot of tea materialised so it was rather a rush for the ferry. Next time I'll bring a thermos. My friends liked their cheesecakes which they had ordered. The hotel is conveniently placed for the ferry.

4  Thank RH1447
Carol_Raasay_House, Manager at Raasay House, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear RH

Thank you for your recent review and for taking the time to provide valuable feedback on your visit to Raasay House.

I am sorry that you felt the customer service which you received fell short of the standard you would expect. We are a family run business and we do pride ourselves on a high level of hospitality from our hard working team. We are constantly coaching and training our team and your comments will help towards this. This level of service is not typical for Raasay House and I only hope you will allow us a second chance to impress you. Thank you once again for taking this time to review us.

Kindest regards
Raasay House Management Team

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Raasay house has been beautifully restored .We therefore thought it would be a good place to eat.
We were sadly mistaken.
The Menu sounded very inviting. It was not what it was described as.
Had I cooked such a meal I would have binned it and started all over again.
The food was very pricy for the quality. Total waste of money for us.

On a more positive note our visit to the coffee bar during the day was pleasing to us .
Coffee and cake was good.

5  Thank hebrideanparadise
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Stopped into Raasay House for tea and scones. The staff was unbelievably welcoming, the grounds were exquisite and in the small amount of time I was there, I wished I'd booked in for a long weekend. Will definitely be back!

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Taking the wonderful ferry trip from Skye to Raasay is one of the highlights of our annual vacation from our home (in landlocked Colorado) to Scotland. We discovered the architecturally stunning (but fairly run down) Raasay House several years ago and were very much looking forward to experiencing it's newly renovated interiors (following a devastating fire in 2009) and having lunch in the new bar. We were certainly not disappointed. As the ferry approached the new Raasay terminal, the imposing estate house rose from the wooded hills overlooking the water and when we turned into the tree lined drive, we knew that Raasay House was back. Although it had only reopened in April and was still in the process of getting ready for their first summer season when we were there in mid-May, we found the staff warm and welcoming, the cafe and the bar comfortable, and the food to be excellent. We were given a tour of the hotel by the hotel director Lynn, who graciously and enthusiastically described the detailed efforts to make each of the 22 rooms special. We were impressed by the beautifully decorated rooms with gorgeous views, large bathrooms and comfortable sitting areas. We even found our perfect room with a separate sitting room and access to the balcony overlooking the sea for our stay there next year.

The new French chef told us he has plans for an expanded menu and although we were there for lunch, he offered to prepare anything from their dinner menu that we wanted. We opted for the lunch menu and I thoroughly enjoyed the roasted Scottish chicken breast and my husband loved the Aberdeen Angus steak, both with wonderful salads. They have a good selection of wines, Scottish ales and beers and we found the sticky toffee pudding to be the perfect conclusion to a delightful lunch.

It's difficult to describe the sense of tranquility, beauty and timelessness of the Isle of Raasay. In all of our travels in Scotland, the views from this island - especially walking the path from North Fearns to the old village of Hallaig looking across the sea to Applecross and the Kyle of Lochalsh are among the most memorable and beautiful.

We expect the newly renovated Raasay House to become a very popular destination for all types of travelers and outdoor enthusiasts and we can't wait to stay there next year!

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We had a lovely meal in Raasay House - sitting in the bar looking at the beautiful view. The courses my husband and I chose were delicious - we had the duck and the "Dram Sweet" to follow was gorgeous! Price was what you would expect to pay and staff were friendly and attentive. We will certainly return for another evening out!