“Excellent friendly welcome - very enjoyable stay”
Review of Tigh na Mara

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tarbert
Tigh na Mara
Ranked #2 of 4 Tarbert B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 17, 2012

What a lovely guest house. There are three rooms and I had the single room, which is definitely on the small side but it has everything one needs. A slice of cake is a lovely little gesture - yesterday it was chocolate cake; today a fruit cake. The room does not have a television but there is a nice lounge for guests, which has a telly. The broadband wifi is available (but possibly not in one of the other rooms) and although it has a weak signal, it seems pretty reliable.
Although there is no en suite - which I suppose may bother some people - the large bathroom and separate toilet are just along the corridor and are spotlessly clean.
Breakfast is plentiful and delicious and Flora has offered me an earlier breakfast tomorrow because I have an early start.
This is a low-budget accommodation but it is not low standard. I have very much enjoyed my stay here and would certainly come back again.

Room Tip: You may wish to check the wifi availability when booking if it is that important, because I gather i...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Xopher147

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Booked last min with my work for one night. If you have anything bigger than a standard car don't try driving to the door you will lose a mirror or 2. Woman very friendly who owned the place showed me to my very very flowery wall paper room.. View was fantastic from my window thank god as there was no tv in the room. No Wifi no Radio nothing but flowers "Everywhere" Told i could use the Tv room down the stairs if i wanted to watch tv. Said to Woman i would be catching the first ferry out approx 6.30 and not to bother with a cooked breakfast .After she stopped laughing and said if you want breakfast you can buy it on the ferry i thought better not ask for a bowl of weetabix or a Yogurt.as i might start her of again. I did find food at 7pm when i finally could not stand looking at the flowers anymore at the Main Hotel just down the road. Typical fish and chips kind of food. Then had a very very slow walk back. If you where on Holiday place prob fine but working away defo no good. And what B/B does not have a Tv in the room now a days.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Gary H
Reviewed June 3, 2012

It's rather a steep walk up to the B&B but that means that the views from the house are good ones which overlook the sea and, anyway, quite a bit of Tarbert is up a hill from other parts of it ! I was on my own and got the last of the three rooms (a twin) for £30 for one night, which was well worth it for the comfort, cleanliness and full Scottish breakfast. I met both Flora and her husband John, and they were both friendly and helpful. Shame they don't do weekends but if you need somewhere during weekdays you should certainly consider Tigh na Mara - or 'House by the Sea', if I remember correctly.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Finny333
Reviewed May 21, 2012

A lovely place to stay. Such a warm welcome from Flora Morrison, who leaves wonderful home-baked cakes in your room instead of mass-produced little biscuits wrapped up in plastic.

Only drawback was that the bed was a little bit uncomfortable. Otherwise Tigh na Mara would definitely deserve an excellent rating.

Overall a wonderful place to stay and I'm sure we'll go back.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2012

I was visiting the hebrides for the first time with an American firend. This was the first stop on the trip. This was an excellent Scottish B&B . Our host was extremely helpful . The room was very pleasant and we had an excellent full Scottish breakfast . No ensuite but at the price it was tremendous value for moneyt and I would not hesitate to recommend it

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We stayed here for two nights recently. We had the the room with twin beds. The views were lovely. There is a nice enclosed porch where one can sit and enjoy the evening it the weather is inclement. Florence is a lovely lady and she made sure we had plenty to eat, especially as we are vegetarians. Certainly a great value for the money and a nice place to stay. One note: bathrooms are shared by the folks renting the three rooms.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank evanstonwallah
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I couldn't have asked for more from the delightful Mr and Mrs Flora Morrison. Arriving on a push bike in heavy rain (quite common around these islands it seems...) I got a bit lost - hint for future travellers, it is not where google maps says it is - and phoned for help. Lo and behold, Mr Morrison came out and stood in the road - in the pouring rain - to ensure I could find them. As soon as I arrived, Flora let me drip in their conservatory whilst she took my wet waterproofs etc and dried them overnight. They also have a large shed for bikes.

My single room was on the small side, however guests did have use of a lounge downstairs. The homemade cake on the bedside table was very welcome though - much more so than the normal pack of biscuits you may get! The view out of the window over the Loch was fantastic. Tigh Na Mara is in a very quiet area so I slept well and finished off with a delicious breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo