“Nice place to stay”

Ranked #1 of 6 Struan B&B and Inns
Farnham, United Kingdom
“Nice place to stay”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Nice room, good view. Tea and cakes on arrival. Reasonably priced. Good off the beaten track location, and nice meal in the evening. Located on a sinlge track road. Good aera for walking. Quite a long way if you want to go out for the evening.

Room Tip: Dr Johnson room to be recommended. Nice views.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank colin t

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Edinburgh
Reviewed June 20, 2013

On arrival at Ullinish on a beautiful Friday eveining we were delighted with the house and location. Our welcome was curt and certainly not the island hospitality we expected on Skye but as the place was so nice we could live with that. We had a long journey and looked forward to a nice G&T in our room while preparing for dinner but were astonished to find a charge of £3.50 for a glass of ice!! If you wanted a bucket - £10 and if you had the audacity to drink you're own wine in the garden, they would happliy take £20 corkage for that!
Our rooms were very good and clean with comfy beds. The restaurant was an interesting room and the food was excellent, a limited menu and no vegitarian option but they did cater for our gluten free request. We all enjoyed the choice and variety at breakfast and the waiting staff were very helpful.
The main issue I have was with the owners - when booking we asked about transport to the 3 Chimneys restaurant (OUTSTANDING BTW), fully expecting to be told taxi rates. We were pleasantly surprised to be told by Brian the owner that is was not a problem he could sort it. Did he say taxi? No. Did he say he would take us for free? No. He very heavlily implied he would ("as long as you don't want to come back at 1pm as I need to get up for breakfasts" was one of the statements he made to lead us to that conclusion) It sounded too good to be true and of course turned out to be the case. When we asked in the morning about the "Lift" we were told a taxi would cost £20-30 each way. When we politely suggested to Pam that Brian appeared to offer us a lift, we were met with a stone-wall fo disbelief and Brian was nowhere to be seen. A bit of "I think you made a mistake" or "sorry if there's been a misunderstanding" would have been accepted. Unfortunately, it was more "you must have dreamt this" and "no way would we ever offer such a thing". I can assure you I did not invent or dream up the conversation, looking for a free lift! when paying £150 per night for the room, a taxi fare would not have put us off!
It all ended a bit messy with Pam following us out of the building shouting "if you have anything to say to me, say it to my face"!! She didn't speak to us for the rest of our stay.
We went on to have a great weekend with glorious weather in a lovely part of the country. Suffice to say we won't be back to stay here and would advice anyone booking here to do so by e-mail so they have a record of conversations with the owners

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Issie B
PBHoward, Owner at Ullinish Country Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Firstly your welcome was absolutely not "curt" as you imply, your welcome was warm as with all our guests.
With regard to the charges for ice and corkage you are simply citing the information in the room about this and other matters, which as regular readers will know is our policy and we make no apology for charging guests for drinking their own alcohol on licensed premises, as do all other hotels we know of.
We only offer a vegetarian option when we have vegetarians taking dinner - all guests are asked this question.
When you booked over the telephone I advised you that I will happily book a cab for you to go the other restaurant. Indeed, when your husband came down to reception on the appropriate morning his actual words to me were " when we booked you said you could book a taxi for us to go to the other restaurant". I said that's no problem and he then asked how much it would cost - I replied I expect it would be between £20.00 - £30.00 each way. The shocked expression on his face led me to ask if he still wanted the taxi. He said yes so I booked it for him then and there. I had to go out on business and your wife came down with a ridiculous statement that I had agreed to drive them there and bring them back. During the booking I simply stated that I was glad they had an early table as late bookings mean I have to wait up until 1.00am for guest to return to us, (which when you work 16 hours a day and have to get up for breakfast is not good. I have to ensure the premises are secure for the night and lights are turned off etc).
It would simply be impossible for me to leave the premises as I am the licensee and have to be on the premises when open for the sale of alcholol and we were full as well and why would I ever agree to take our guests to another restaurant ??!! It is a totally absurd suggestion. This mistake was pointed out to you by Pam but you never the lesskept on insisting you were correct, when you wre clearly not. You also muttered some insults as you exited our front door. We make no excuses for not accepting such rudeness. In fact she did have further conversation with you clearly you did have an issue with paying the taxi fare as you later asked us to cancel it.
PBHoward
Isle of Skye, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We've just returned from a short one night stay and wished we could have stayed longer. We were in the Bracadale room which is very tastefully furnished and has a superkingsize bed. The room has everything you would expect from a hotel of this standard, complimentary water, fresh coffee, teas, homemade shortbread, bathrobes etc. The bath was huge with lots of hot water, very nice toiletries and large fluffy bath sheets.

The hotel itself is beautiful, in tranquil surroundings and gardens, totally peaceful. But the best thing about this place without a doubt was the food and great service. We had a fabulous three course dinner which was one of the nicest we've had on the island. From the amuse bouche to dessert we savoured every mouthful. The wine list is comprehensive with very reasonable entry prices. The staff are so lovely and very keen to make sure you enjoy every minute of your stay. In short this is a wonderful place to stay, you won't be disappointed if you book here. We hope to be back when we get some time off!

Julie and Steve

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlisle, Cumbria.
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for five nights recently, having stayed previously some two and a half years ago, and were delighted with all aspects of the hotel, particularly the food. The hotel is full of character as befitting one which was visited so long ago by James Boswell and Samuel Johnson during their tour of the Hebrides. The reception was welcoming, the room comfortable, clean and well presented. The Hotel has recently employed a new chef who presented a simple but superbly crafted menu, utilising the best of local produce. The cooking was excellent, prepared in the style of Simon Rogan of Cartmel fame. My only slight criticism was that service was on the slow side, but then again what else do you do on an evening on Skye after a good day's walking, but to savour the delights of good food and wine, together with the conversation of new acquaintances. If you are lucky you may, like us, see a the spectacular evening light of a sunset on the Cullin ridge from the Hotel garden.

2 Thank Robert N
Burton upon Trent, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Ullinish for the first 2 nights of our honeymoon, and were absolutely delighted with our choice. We were greeted with an amazing afternoon tea, and given advice on where to go for a short stroll before dinner. Dinner on both nights was excellent as was the service throughout - the wine recommendations were spot on also.

We stayed in the Dr Johnson room which has brilliant views and all that you could ask for in a hotel room.

I would highly recommend Ullinish Country Lodge to anyone staying on Skye

Room Tip: Dr Johnson room has a great bed, great bath and great views!
Kyoto, Japan
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed Ullinish Country Lodge for two nights in late April after one and half day's long drive from Glasgow.
The dinner impressed us and far much better than we had expected. In each evening they prepared almost different menu in starters and main courses. For example as for fish, on our first day, sea bass and crab, and second day, skate and prawn. Sources are unique and secret. Choosing dishes from daily menu were interesting and exciting experiences. What challenging ideas by the chef. I could not find such high quality seafood French restaurants in Japan. I love it.
We enjoyed breakfast, too. In particular, my kipper was great and tasteful.
Room "Harport" we stayed was well prepared, neat and clean with two beds. As the owner indicate at the entrance, this lodge is " a restaurant with rooms". A room is best quality as british B&B, not as modernised American standard hotel. Sunrise I saw from the room was very beautiful.
Brian, the owner, gave good driving and trip advices. We enjoyed self-drive and saved time. Various services touched us.
This lodge got five-star rank as B&B from Visitscotland and AA. We agree with these asessments and strongly recommend this lodge to our friends.
Memorable stay at Isle of Skye. We would like to visit this lodge again even if we spend expensive air fare and fly 10000 kilo metres from Japan.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kinkaku(金閣)
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Ullinish for a night and won't be recommending this place to anyone we know. The reception we received was fine but not friendly, but the thing we both remember the most about our greeting and being showed to the room was to not get any water on the floor from the bath. Apparently it floods below. The room was small and dated but clean and warm. The bathroom was nice and had a roll top bath, as promised.
When it came to dinner, this is when it really went downhill. On the menu was Langoustines, which we got 3 overlooked and 3 small lettuce leaves. Then the main came out, "Poached Loch Duart Salmon"!!!!! The amount of salmon both my wife and I got! could have fitted on a TEASPOON! Not kidding. We instead got a small piece of smoked salmon and a scallop. Would have been a nice starter. Needless to say after the main, still hungry. Desert was "Berry Crumble". No, only a few fresh berries and a short bread broken into 3 pieces. The same we had as complimentary in the room! When I quizzed the owner after the meal he admitted they didn't have enough food for all the guests. All 9 of us!!???! Amateurish. Every comment that I made, came an excuse and he didn't seem to understand our disappointment.
If you're looking for a nice place to stay while on Skye, as my wife and I were, give this place a miss. Not worth the money. We found the lady of the house to be very friendly and warming, as was the waitress on the night of the meal.

11 Thank Neil S
PBHoward, Owner at Ullinish Country Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for your review.
As we explained to you after dinner, uniquely all the dinner guests opted for the salmon main course, which unfortunately meant that our chef had to amend the dish. This he did by adding smoked salmon, scallops and potatoes and to say that the amounts were so small as you describe is simply not correct. We did apologise to you for this situation after the meal when you complained. You also referred to the “crumble” on the dessert. As explained, the fact that crumble as in quotation marks meant that it was a de-constructed crumble, not a traditional one. There were pieces of crumbled shortbread together with chocolate chip cookie and other ingredients. At no point did you ever raise any issue with the three large langoustines on your starter at the time and we question your motive in now saying this. They were definitely not overcooked as we had some ourselves. To say that our portions were so small is not accepted. We are a fine dining establishment and you had five courses which were all appropriately sized as confirmed by the AA the week before your visit who confirmed our 5 star status, which covers all areas of the business.

If the food was as bad as you allege why didn’t you raise this during service when you were asked on more than one occasion if everything was alright and you stated it was.
Every other guest complimented us on the food that night.

You also commented when you left that all the remarks made in our guest book were highly complementary about our food and accommodation and how much they enjoyed their stays. You seem to be in a singular minority.

Neither do we accept that our rooms are dated. This is a 300 year old property and modernist beds/furniture would be totally out of place.

Upon arrival and where appropriate we ask guests to keep the water within the bath if they are using the hand held shower on the roll top baths as otherwise this can lead to flooding below as they are bathrooms not wet rooms.

We are wondering if all this stems from the fact that you misread our tariff and thought that the rate for dinner, bed and breakfast was for two people and not per person as stated by us to you on the telephone and is clearly stated as such on all media.
PBHoward
Also consider these accommodations in or near Struan
Cuillin Hills Hotel
Duisdale House Hotel
Skeabost Hotel
Skeabost Hotel
#1 of 6 in Skeabost

Been to Ullinish Country Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!