“'Just the Best' Probert/Morrish”
Review of Achtalean

Achtalean
Ranked #5 of 12 Staffin B&B and Inns
Brighton, United Kingdom
“'Just the Best' Probert/Morrish”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We spent 3 days with Suzanne and Greg during August. What a wonderful welcome they gave us. Our rooms were so clean, comfortable and quiet! Breakfast just really was 'the best' - Gregs scrambled and poached eggs simply delicious! Both Suzanne and Greg could not do enough to make our stay so enjoyable - great sightseeing advice and friendly conversation on our return.
What a lovely couple. A thoroughly enjoyable time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Linda P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Caloundra, Australia
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Spent 3 days with Greg and Sue. If travelling to Staffin you must stay with them. They provide everything you need, including exceptional mountain and sea views. They went out of their way to cater to my specific dietary needs which was much appreciated. Greg is very happy to share his extensive knowledge of his local area. He is a mountaineer (and a member of local mountain rescue team) so he also knows what he's talking about when offering suggestions/advice on walking in the beautiful local mountains.

Thoroughly enjoyed our time at Achtalean.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the mountains and sea.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pat257
Mumbai
Reviewed August 19, 2012

The title of this review summarizes my trip of London & Scotland that ended with the destination I still believe was a dream - The Isle of Skye! And as coincidental as it may be, the best B&B we stayed on the trip was also the last one - Achtalean House - a little beauty which is home to two beautiful people - Greg & Sue!!

Everything about this place is out-right exceptional; the house itself - magnificent, the views from the house - stunning, the hospitality - top notch, Greg & Sue - extremely warm and friendly, the breakfast - you can't ask for better, all in all - perfect! For me personally, the time spent on Skye was like staying at one of those places whose descriptions, I thought, featured only in storybooks or fairy tales till the time we actually reached there. To me, the very fact that a place like this exists and that I could get a chance to visit it was in itself an experience of a lifetime and my stay at Achtalean was only an icing on the cake!

Just a few words about Greg with whom I interacted a lot - I think he really brings out the charm in this place. As helpful and friendly as he is, I must also point out that he is quite a knowledgeable and experienced guide around Skye. Do not forget to take some cool travel tips before you head out for the day. A die-hard football fan and a passionate supporter of the English Football team, Greg also screened all of England's Euro 2012 matches on the big screen in the common living room. It was just delightful to watch the game with him and hear his views and takes on the game. Greg is also an accomplished mountaineer and could help you out with some pretty good hiking advice (apart from his own travel escapades that he loves to share)!

I would usually write a lot more in my reviews about the place and it surroundings, accessibility,etc. But for this one, I'll just leave it at this with an honest plea to fit this place into your itinerary and stay at Achtalean if you happen to plan a trip to Scotland!

There are a lot of experiences we think we would remember for long but life has so many experiences to offer that many get over-ridden by others and only few really really memorable ones actually stick - I'm sure this will be one of those!

Room Tip: Travel tip (not really for the room but for the place) - It is difficult to find yourself a meal aro...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
NowhereNear
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Seriously damaged my rented car on my way to Skye, had to have it carried to Staffin on a recovery lorry, reached the Achtalean around midnight and the owners were there to welcome me, help me place the car in a safe corner and calm me out of my distress with their warmth and kindness.
Next morning, on a Sunday, they made several phone calls on my behalf to help me sort out the car problem (my English isn't good enough for that) and truly made me feel safely at home with a supportive, helpful family.
Circumstances aside, it is a lovely house, with impeccable and comfortable rooms, excellent breakfast, magnificent location - and truly great people, Highland hospitality at its very best. I am very grateful.

Room Tip: Mountains side rooms overloook the bird feeders in the garden, lovely to watch early in the morning...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Glasgow
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Great location overlooking the bay and North Staffin area. Very friendly and helpful hosts and good breakfast in morning . We had the family room so a bit cramped with extra beds but very comforable overall.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 24, 2012

My boyfriend and I spent over a week travelling around Scotland and staying mainly at B&Bs. All of our B&Bs were chosen very carefully and all had excellent ratings on TripAdvisor.

This one was our favourite.

Firstly, the location is excellent. I noticed that many visitors tend to stay in Portree, but I think that Staffin is the actually the most ideal spot. It's so close to many of the attractions in Skye (Old Man Storr, Kilt Rock, Quiraing) and the landscape in the area is just gorgeous. The only downside was the lack of restaurants in Staffin. It was sufficient for us though, and we didn't mind driving a bit further sometimes to find a restaurant we wanted to try.

The rooms are fine. We had a small cozy room. It was probably the smallest room we had on our trip but it was enough for us and we slept great. The water pressure was a bit weak, but that seems like a common problem in Scotland. I liked having the menus of restaurants nearby in the room as it was very handy for deciding on where to eat.

Breakfast was great. The food was consistently yummy. I really enjoyed the fresh berries they served every morning.

Everything about the B&B was good but what made our stay really excellent were Greg and Sue. They were so genuinely welcoming and helpful. Greg asked what our plans were during our stay and when he saw that we didn't have much planned, he took it upon himself to sit down with us every morning to help plan our day. So, everyday after breakfast, Greg would tell us about the attractions in an area and help us plan our itinerary and route for the day. He even gave us a bit of a history lesson sometimes, to show us the significance of a place. Even on the rainy day, he was able to fill our day with lots of activities to do and we were able to keep ourselves busy and have fun regardless of the weather. Sue was also great. We walked into the house in our hiking boots one day and left mud stains everywhere on the carpet. We guiltily told Sue about it the next morning, worried that we ruined the carpet. She assured us that it wasn't a problem and when we came back from exploring that night, we noticed that Sue cleaned completely cleaned our room carpet. It looked new again. I was so very impressed. They were both so incredibly helpful and genuine. I can't say enough good things about this place and about Greg and Sue. You'll just have to go and see for yourself!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Maggie H
Oensingen
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Beautiful well sized room with sea view, delicious breakfast and excellent tipps for visiting Skye.

• Stayed July 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staffin
The Flodigarry Hotel
Redwood House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Greshornish
Gairloch View B&B & Holiday Cottages
Duisdale House Hotel

Been to Achtalean? Share your experiences!