“Wonderfull!”
Review of The Glenview

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Staffin
The Glenview
Ranked #1 of 12 Staffin B&B and Inns
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Wonderfull!”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Superfriendly people here, helped us the serve dinner early and directed us to the nearest pub with tv (as I booked without realizing there was no tv and my boyfriend really wanted to watch the soccer match EK 2012, Netherlands-Germany). You can hear and see the sheep from the bathroom. The bedroom is very cute, in a romantic style. Our room did only have very small windows, but the nice atmosphere does make up for that. And I loved the blueberry pancakes for breakfast. Jummy!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Humuhumu_on_the_move

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Harwich, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 2, 2012

My 3 friends and I recently stayed at this lovely hotel. I can't say enough good things about it. The hotel is beautifully decorated and well appointed. We had had a long day on the road and within minutes of our arrival were sitting in the comfortable lounge sipping a whiskey. After heading to our lovely rooms to freshen up we came down for our 8:00 dinner reservation.The meal was fantastic! Simon is quite a chef and you would be a fool to miss out on this culinary experience. We slept quite soundly in our comfy beds and woke with a pot of tea,hot shower and downstairs for a wonderful breakfast. My only regret about booking at the Glenview is that we didn't make time in our schedule to stay longer!!!. Kirsty was kind enough to offer us directions to one of her favorite "bric-a-brac " shops to find some great treasures of our own.Beautiful place lovely couple- I highly recommend a stay here. Enid

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ebailey_12
Rye, NY
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here this fall for two nights. What a nice place! And I love the "restaurant with rooms" thought.
-Really nice people running the place.
-Comfortable room.
-One of the better meals we had in Scotland was at their restaurant.
-Comfortable little lounge for reading and having a beer at night.
-For us the location was great for exploring, and hiking.

Only complaint would be that some of the walls were a little thin.

On our second night we had dinner in Portree while we were out-and-about. Should have come back to the Glenview instead!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Edinburgh, UK
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I stayed two nights here, travelling with friends. Simon and Kirsty were warm and welcoming and the room very clean and comfortable - no TV and no mobile phone coverage is a plus! My room had a shower (no bath) and a lovely view. There is free wifi if you need to connect. The guest lounge is beautifully decorated and you can relax here with a drink before dinner, while perusing the menu and wine list. The restaurant is open to non-residents so there's always a few tables and a good atmosphere.

We had dinner at the Glenview both nights. The food was fantastic, well executed and presented. Service was great too. Breakfast was also good - home-made granola and yogurt, poached fruit and lovely home-made bread toasted. You're asked to pick your cooked option, if you want one, the night before.

There's a lovely short walk (15 mins) down to the beach opposite the B&B. It's down a steepish slope with lots of sheep but it was lovely to see at sunset. Interesting wee cemetery too.

All in all, a great find and I'd thoroughly recommend staying here - having the dinner option rounds off a perfect day, if you've spent time driving round Skye it means you can just relax and enjoy a drink with your meal. Simon and Kirsty are doing all the right things and I wish them continued success.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank MortonFan
KL
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed at the Glenview for three nights in September, as Parton a photography course. It really was superb.

Simon and Kirsty are lovely and will do their utmost to make you feel at home. Friendly, warm and very helpful. It was such a pleasure walking into my room which was spacious, bright and welcoming with lovely touches eg displays of local craft on the shelves. The room and the bathroom were both spotless. Bed was nice and comfy. I stayed at an expensive five star London boutique hotel which shall remain unnamed just before that- the Glenview was a million times nicer- the room was far nicer and prettier, the service was a lot more attentive and of course, warmer, and it was just much more pleasant overall.

And the food is phenomenal! I had dinner there all three nights, and it was superb every time. A choice of two starters, two mains, and two puddings- that doesn't sound like much choice but I had problems choosing each night as all the options sounded so tempting. The food is imaginative and superbly executed, using fresh local ingredients and generously portioned. It was such a treat- it is obvious Simon is a particularly talented chef and cooks with love. And the homemade breakfasts were also superlatively good (especially after the dawn photo shoots!) - the porridge with brown sugar is a particular eye opener.

Only complaint? The shower was a little small, but that's a serious nitpick-y point. Wholeheartedly recommended!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Elbereth_Gilthoniel
cambridge ma
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Cramped bedroom, no dresser, no bathtub, no TV, no cellphone coverage, one small window with not much of a view. So why did we find staying here one of the most pleasurable experiences in all our travels? First of all because of the proprietors: Simon and Kirsty. You’ve heard often enough the word of praise for a B&B host: friendly. It is usually true (why would a misanthrope ever want to run this kind of establishment?). But Simon and Kirsty carry friendliness to a new level of nuance: neither intrusive nor diffident, just appropriately warm and attentive, seemingly matched to the particular temperaments of each guest. (How they manage so well to run this inn, with only part time help and raise their two small children is a mystery we never solved.).

The second reason we loved this place—for us just as important—the food. I have posted a long comment under the “restaurants” section, but I reproduce it below as well.) I should add that the breakfasts, also prepared by Simon, offer a range of choices for those with small as well as large morning appetites, but you must at least once try his full Scottish breakfast.

The other reasons for staying here may be important to many: the charm if not the luxury of the décor; the location midway between two of the most popular natural sites on the Island (Quiraing and the Storr), and the reasonable rates. But we would want to stay here if it were twice as expensive and located in suburban Kabul.

Comment on Restaurant

On a recent culinary tour that took us to Edinburgh, Glasgow and Skye, we ended up eating three dinners here even though the restaurant was not originally on our list. We could have happily have eaten all our meals here. Simon Wallwork, the chef and proprietor with his super competent wife Kirsty, is one of the most talented chefs in the UK. He is not yet as widely recognized as he deserves to be. He does everything himself in the kitchen, in addition to running the Inn with Kirsty. The choices are limited (only two main courses, two starters, two desserts), and the service, competent but casual. The wine list is well chosen but modest.

But what comes out of the kitchen is extraordinary. The soups, a different one each night offered as a kind of amuse bouche, were deceptively simple creations (pureed leak with almonds, rabbit broth with tomato); they yielded a long and complex finish like a fine wine. The starters could have been finishers (not in quantity but quality): a delicious crabmeat tart in which the crab flavor shone through brightly; an exquisite mussel salad; local salmon with garden greens and mustard seeds (I spotted Simon picking these from his garden in the morning). For main courses, we generally could not resist the seafood offerings: local salmon with soft roasted potatoes and those garden greens again but with a subtly different dressing; sole with potatoes this time roasted in fish stock. On the basis of the one meat dish I tried (roast pork on a bed of cabbage and a savory sauce), I could tell that the pleasures here are not limited to Skye’s seafood.

Desserts? No pastry chef here, so after this incredible meal (and Simon prepares the great breakfasts too), we did not expect the chef to have time to produce more than routine desserts. We were wrong. Desserts, we learned later, are Simon’s favorite course. We should have known after enjoying the intense orange savarin with cream cheese ice ream; the luscious chocolate profiteroles with a nutty caramel ice cream; and the perfect blueberry crème brulée.

Simon’s cooking is a true expression of the locavore credo that so many Scottish restaurants now claim to be following. Skye still offers a bountiful supply of incredible seafood, meat and game, and root vegetables. Yet some of the most celebrated restaurants on the island—Kinloch Lodge and Three Chimneys—are trying too hard to be distinctive, producing conspicuously complex dishes that are often more imaginative than flavorful. The chefs too often let their sauces and accompaniments overwhelm the natural flavors of the ingredients. Simon does not give in to the temptation to show off culinary technique. His preparations are creative, but he lets the natural flavors come through. The cooking is precise: Sauces and garnishes perfectly matched to the main dish; vegetables lovingly prepared, astutely paired with the fish or meat (or by request tastefully offered on their own). I was reminded of Thomas Keller’s style—not as playful or as diverse but just as respectful of the ingredients and just as skillful in consummating the perfect marriages of flavors. (As we were leaving, I think I caught a glimpse of a dog eared copy of the French Laundry cookbook in the kitchen.)

Our bottom line: Considering only what is on the plates, we found the dinners to be the best we had in Scotland on this trip (and that includes the Michelin starred places we visited). This modest establishment is a national treasure.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lucullus
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

This b&b is above all the rest. Being a foodie, food matters. I was blown away here at The Glenview. We had homemade carmel tablets on our bed when we arrived. The dinner was amazing and the breakfast, outstanding. Homemade granola and jellies. They really put in a lot of time and care into your experience here. Highly recommend. location is great as well.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank FOODIE_JOJO_54321
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staffin
Hotel Eilean Iarmain
#1 of 1 in Greshornish
Skeabost Hotel
Skeabost Hotel
#2 of 6 in Skeabost

Been to The Glenview? Share your experiences!