“lovely hotel, superb food, great views”

Toravaig House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Sleat
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My family and I stayed at Toravaig last summer. Toravaig is nicely located close to the ferry, and overlooks the beautiful Skye landscape. We had a very special walk to an abandoned castle while we were there--and the hotel also arranges boating excursions if you are there for awhile. Our two rooms were quite comfortably arranged, though a bit small given the tariff. The dinner and breakfast were both quite good, and the dining room is attractive.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 12, 2012

This review is well over due! The Toravaig House Hotel will always hold a very special place in my heart for the rest of my life. My boyfriend and I traveled in August 2012 to Scotland and had the most amazing trip, but what made this trip special was the Toravaig House Hotel! Words cannot describe how much I adore and love this hotel! From their beautiful property, to their upscale rooms, to THE most accomodating and outstanding staff, to their delicious food, and to the best ownership/management a hotel could ever have! My boyfriend proposed to me in Scotland, and the Toravaig House Hotel was a HUGE part of the surprise making the entire event personalized and special! The staff went above and beyond for us and I will always be grateful and will always remember our few days at the Toravaig. You are exceptional! Thank you, thank you for everything that you did! We arrived as guests and left feeling like family! I hope we can visit again in the near future, but either way, that wasn't our last trip to the Toravaig!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jackie W
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Recently done up this hotel is now a sister to the plusher Duisdale Hotel close by. It is very pleasant, has nice rooms, amiable staff, and great surroundings. At £120 b&b in mid October it was however pricey. My only gripe, a tiny one, was that the shower leaked, requiring prompt attention to avoid a damp bedroom carpet.

We had dinner elsewhere, so were unable to sample the evening meal - breakfast was pleasant, and the service excellent. My colleagues' scrambled eggs with salmon looked very good - they both enjoyed them very much. However the kitchen decided to do something arty with my kipper, delivered as a cross, which somehow meant that fish meat and bones were impossible to separate properly and the whole was tough and unpleasant. If the kitchen cannot be persuaded to cook kippers normally, avoid!

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms facing the road - windows are double glazed but as the road is at the level of th...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed at this hotel because everywhere else was full - nevertheless, no stable was this!! The booking was expensive and consequently the room seemed rudimentary for the charge. Our minds were changed by dinner - from the moment we stepped into the Lounge before dinner to the conclusion of I forget how many courses, we were treated like royalty and ate the most exquisite food. We met only one member of staff throughout our stay, who played his role extremely well.
The hotel is not in the best part of Skye, but the experience was extraordinary! Well done and thank you!! We were there in August 2011!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2012

If you´re arriving by car with the ferry from Mallaig and don´t wish to drive far from where the ferry docks, this is lovely and quite charming place. Everything is very well-maintained and looked after. The staff is courteous and welcoming - with particular accolades given to Rosemary whose warm personality and helpful insider tips made our stay very enjoyable. We ate only breakfast here but it was of a high quality. Due to the rather intimate, somewhat formal nature of the accommodation, I would say that Toravaig House seems best suited to couples, rather than families.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Volkolas
Reviewed September 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Toravaig House Hotel for one night. Upon our arrival, we were greeted by a gentleman who took our bags, led us to our room, and made sure we were settled in. The scenery is beautiful. The rooms are large and comfortable.

Our mistake was staying for dinner. Much of what you pay for here is the dinner 'experience'. The food was only OK (dessert was not good), and the time between courses was too long. I also made the mistake of waiting until after dinner to complain - I am not sure if they actually took me seriously, as they only took 18 GBP off the bill.

If you are looking for a comfortable place to stay, with better food and rooms that are almost as nice, stay at the Sconser Lodge Hotel. The prices are lower, the service is just as excellent (though the staff there will not be in suits and ties as they are at Toravaig), and the meals are larger and tastier.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chris B
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Very nice small hotel in Skye! Room is not too big, but very comfortable. Service is prime, and the restaurant is amazing - one of our best meals in Scotland! It is pricey, but then everything in Skye is expensive. So, I was happy with the choice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sleat
Hotel Eilean Iarmain
#1 of 1 in Greshornish
Bosville Hotel
Bosville Hotel
#3 of 6 in Portree

Been to Toravaig House Hotel? Share your experiences!