“A rare and surprisingly affordable treat”
Review of Kinloch Lodge

and 1 more site!
Kinloch Lodge
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“A rare and surprisingly affordable treat”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Lads, if you are ever in a situation where you want to earn some Brownie Points with your better half, then I can think of few better ways than taking mini-break at the Kinloch Lodge on the Isle of Skye.

Even though the price initially seems a bit stiff at £400 per night. This is for full bed, breakfast and evening meal for two, and it can be split into two affordable chunks – a £160 deposit when booking and the remainder on departure. We booked a couple of months in advance which took the sting out of the bill.

We were there in early August and were fortunate to enjoy beautiful weather for the duration of our stay. For a few extra pounds you can have a room with a view, and we had one which opened out on to the exquisite Sound of Sleat, a wonderful enriching experience first thing in the morning. Goodness knows how those poor souls who ply their trade in the big cities are ever able to tear themselves away from this wonderful place.

The hotel itself is warm and comforting rather than grand and ostentatious. The staff are fantastic, very warm, welcoming and endlessly helpful without once slipping into sycophancy or intrusiveness. A very thin dividing line which they are able to negotiate with effortless ease. Clearly selected on attitude as well as skills, the highest compliment I can pay is that they reminded me of the staff at The Gleneagles.

The evening meal was extremely well orchestrated, with guests first being ushered into a drawing room where we were plied with drinks and starters or ‘amuses’ as I believe they are called. It’s all done in such a way as to encourage conversation among guests and we spent a very pleasant time with a fine lad from the US and a father/son combo from the Central Belt. Dinner itself was a very pleasant affair with four or five different courses, all delicious and all a first time experience – just as you would hope for in a place like this.

At breakfast, as well as the traditional bacon and eggs I had the most fantastic porridge I’ve ever tasted in my life, which is a big statement for a Scotsman to make. And then we were off exploring the beautiful Isle of Skye and Wester Ross. My only regret was we hadn’t booked for more than one night. Next time I fall foul of my partner I know exactly where to go.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JohnnyAmsterdam20

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Monmouthshire
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Michelin starred restaurants can be found further north than this but we stopped by for one night heading south. Our room was well located in the south lodge and was very comfortable. It had an old established feel despite being a new build. The public areas are very comfortable with lots of cosy seating options. The bedroom plumbing was perhaps a touch too edwardian in its manner, but we had a loch shore view which provided a rare sunsrise during this holiday.

There is evidence of Claire Macdonald throughout but the commercial push of food guides and preserves was fairly low key.

We felt a bit abandoned for predinner drinks and the bustling dining room had a conveyor belt feel at times. The fare was good but not excellent and the ambience may have been more suited to the overseas tourist rather than home gown visitors. Were the portraits real oil paintings we wondered. Very distracting. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend. Perhaps we should have stopped when heading north?

1 Thank daloughlin
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have wanted to go to Kinloch Lodge for years and finally made it this October. Met outside on arrival and bags carried in, glass of champagne served, then shown to our room. We were in the South Lodge in first floor room with a view of loch and mountains (this view is now my screensaver!) Nice big room with plenty wardrobe space. Double sinks in ensuite (always welcome), shower in the bath (prefer separate, but that's picky) Perhaps the bathroom needs a little update.
Pre-dinner drinks, with delicious canapes, are served either in the bar, or lovely sitting room in the main Lodge (complete with roaring fire), but we chose the sitting room in the South Lodge which is absolutely gorgeous, full of family paintings and photos - again, fire had been lit and there is an honesty bar.
The menu was full of local, seasonal produce and all was cooked to perfection. Portion size perfect for me (hate too much food on my plate and like to leave room for cheese!). I am on a gluten free diet, which had told them about. The chef had adapted each course for me, so no sauces contained flour - no mean feat, so big thank you to him. They had got gluten free bread in for me as well. Not had such thoughtful treatment before.
Breakfast was an absolute feast - think you should walk a couple of miles first to get the full benefit! Staff wonderfully cheery and gave helpful advice on what to see and do on Skye - some local, some Australian, all really professional. They made up a flask of coffee for us to take on our day's sightseeing.
It is always a risk visiting somewhere that has been on your wish list, so often you are disappointed, but not this time. You do have to think about the cost - we decided to do three nights here and the rest of our trip was in much simpler hotels without serious food. I think it was worthit. The hotel is smaller than I expected, somehow I thought it would be a great big grand house, but it is full of charm and wonderfully relaxed, although run incredibly efficiently Make sure you book well ahead - it was full - people from all over the world. We will return.

Room Tip: I would recommend room 12 in the South Lodge, but did not have opportunity to look at other rooms...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Recently had lunch at Kinloch and really enjoyed the experience. The food is of a high standard and is up there with other Michelin rated restaurants we have visited. Flavours were amazing although the portions were not as big as I have had elsewhere. All in all, worth a visit although we were a bit disappointed by the service which was very friendly and unobtrusive but perhaps lacked the professionalism seen elsewhere, e.g wrong plates served where meat was cooked to different tastes. Definitely on the shabby side but this is part of the attraction.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed here for three days to celebrate a special birthday. Everything from the welcome to the farewell was first class. We were made to feel special and the staff were courteous, friendly and professional. The food was to die for. I could not fault a single mouthful. Our room was warm and comfortable and the view over the loch was just stunning. All in all a little bit of heaven.(Oh yes and Skye was just beautiful too!)

Room Tip: have a loch facing room in the south lodge
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights for our wedding anniversary at the start of a tour of Skye & Hebrides. Overall we enjoyed our stay. Would agree with other guests that bathroom was a little tired and could have been cleaner. Corners were grubby & skirtings quite dirty which surprised me. Room itself - mid priced - was well appointed with very comfortable bed, excellent quality linens and a wonderful view. Personally i would have preferred fewer little cards advertising afternoon tea, spa, etc. they got in the way & leverything was already in the guest information. A bit too much like hard sell which detracted from the ambiance of the room. Candles on turndown a lovely touch. Our meal the first night was superb. The second night was not really as good. My husband & I both asked for a medium rare steak. His was perfect, mine was overdone, spoiling a lovely piece of beef. Sending it back would have knocked everything out of synch so i ate most of it although it was dry Portion sizes I thought perfect and wine list good, however we did feel that other drinks were very overpriced Breakfasts were excellent - figs & apricots beautifully spiced & quite delicious. Also a good selection of fish available which many hotels no longer offer The young staff were well trained with just the right mix of efficiency and friendliness. We had an enjoyable & relaxing time in beautiful surroundings but not quite as good as we expected.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank scottishtraveller44
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We had hoped to see something of Claire during our stay and taste some of her cuisine, as an avid user of her books over the years. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and the food was great. The only disappointments were; our bathroom was very dated with an old scaly bath and signs of mold, very poor shower....very surprised... We were above the restaurant, so could hear lots of conversations (esp. the Americans...) whilst trying to sleep and we were disappointed not to be able to walk along the foreshore of the loch. You may have been able to access it but it was not obvious and looked to be private... We went because of the 'name' and reputation but sometimes in life, things slope off and we felt this was the case here...the emperor's new clothes..... Also, we purchased a couple of Claire's books and would have hoped they had been signed as were being given as gifts....could have purchased them at Amazon for all the receivers knew...

3 Thank Botanic13
tomtom31, Owner at Kinloch Lodge, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thanks for posting your review. Claire and Godfrey have run Kinloch for 40 years. While they are at Kinloch as much as possible, they have many other work and family commitments which take them away - not least Claire's 97 year old Father. Tom, my husband, and I are here at Kinloch virtually 24/7. I am Claire and Godfrey's daughter and have been based back on Skye for the last decade - graduallly helping my parents with the day-to-day running of Kinloch. I'm glad you enjoyed the service and food, despite your disappointment at not seeing my Mother.

As I explained to you at check-out, Claire pre-signs a huge number of books which we sell in our shop. We are lucky to sell so many and I apologised to you that all signed copies had been sold. I did offer to post signed copies on to you, but you decided to take the unsigned copies with you.

We are working towards a refurbishment of some of our bathrooms over this winter and I am sorry that your bath enamel was a little worn - it is however a fabulous large and deep bath.

Best wishes
Isabella
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sleat
Hotel Eilean Iarmain
#2 of 2 in Broadford
Redwood House Hotel
Redwood House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Greshornish

Been to Kinloch Lodge? Share your experiences!