“Fabulous place to stay.”

Duisdale House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sleat
Linlithgow, United Kingdom
“Fabulous place to stay.”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We booked this hotel for a couple of nights away after particularly stressful period at work. Excellent choice ! The staff were very welcoming and interested! The food was exceptional and the comfort of our sea view room was just what we needed .
Would love to come again sometime!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank msl63

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I looked forward to dropping into Duisdale House for afternoon tea as advertised on their website. On arrival we were not met or greeted by anyone. Couldn't see any sign of life in Duisdale House. After some time we met a member of staff, possibly the duty manager, who had to check with the kitchen about availability of food. Feeling most underwhelmed and unwelcome, we decided to leave and take our custom elsewhere. Poor experience of a 4 star establishment. Particularly unhappy because we drove for an hour to get there. :(

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank AnnamarieMc
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Top class location, customer service, cleanliness and food (as to be expected in this type of hotel). Our only issue (and let's put it into context, the hotel is great), was with some aspects of the room. Room 2, facing the sea. New decor, 4 poster bed, but too small and not particularly comfortable. The bathroom was spotless, but the mirror was too high, you need to be over 5ft 6 to use without standing on tip toes? Why!!?? For this class of establishment we were surprised to see disposable cups in the bathroom and there is a ridiculous drop from the bath to the floor, that is very slippy (I know, put towels down, we did but the whole floor was like an ice rink), again why?! Little things, the TV in the rooms is obviously fed from A sky box, but there is no info on the channels or a guide on the remote control. The wifi connection is slow so don't expect any high data downloads, and the curtains had a mind of their own. But, as I said, it is a lovely hotel with truly caring service. Would we stay again, probably yes.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Happyseekers44
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed over the Easter weekend which also happened to be my birthday. I had originally booked for New Year but discovered after booking (and paying) the Duisdale that everything on Skye is closed for Christmas / New Year, credit to them that they allowed me to change my 'non-refundable' booking to another date.

Upon arrival we were informed that the hotel had not given us the garden suite as we had requested, one of the managers who I now know to be David intervened and offered a solution and we were given a junior suite upstairs.

The good points:
- Very comfortable bed in main room
- Very comfortable sofa-bed in other room (which was occupied by my daughter)
- Nicely decorated
- Good quality linens
- Lovely bathroom with nice toiletries & fluffy towels
- Free wifi in the room.....

The not so good points
- TV only had 4 channels and was tiny
- Picture quality on those 4 channels was terrible
- No TV in the main bedroom of the suite we were in
- Wifi was all over the hotel but only worked downstairs, they have an issue with the wifi repeaters losing the internet signal, which should be easy to fix. I was able to connect to the wifi no problem, but the wifi was not communicating with the internet.

I reported my concerns to one of the other mangers but these aren't issues which can be fixed overnight - TV's & Wifi, but they should be easy enough to improve. For a hotel of this quality it is a real let down to have such poor technology. (You could argue you don't go on vacation to watch TV, to counter that, every up-scale hotel I've stayed in has always featured decent entertainment systems be they in NYC, Paris, London, Monaco or Sydney!)

So, those minor negatives out of the way, the rest of my stay in bullet points:
- Manager David is one of the best (if not *the* best) front of house managers I've had the pleasure to interact with. Friendly, attentive, interested, quite charming, hospitable and very helpful. A credit to the hotel and the island.
- Chef David: If the owners are reading this, DO NOT lose this chef, the food is outstanding. I've been fortunate to eat in some wonderful restaurants, David's meals are in the same league as MIchelin Star restaurants I've had the pleasure of eating in. The Dunvegan venison is one of the finest main dishes I've eaten, superb.
- Lounge - Lovely comfortable lounge with roaring fire and a terrific drinks selection. The Skye Ale is delicious and brewed just up the road, get David to give you directions to the brewery and buy a case...I did!
- Gardens - Lovely gardens which will be a real treat in summer - when we're going back!
- Manager David - Worth a second mention for listening to my reasoned complaint about the bedroom mix-up on check in and making restitution.

Mistakes happen and we all accept that, it is not about the error but about how it is handled. I had initial reservations about the hotel as we booked a particular room and did not get it, and this could have impacted on our stay, however, with the excellent food, wonderful hospitality and wonderful ambience, those minor negatives pale into insignificance. Can't wait to go back and enjoy more of the same in the summer.

If they have a dinner, bed & breakfast rate on you should not miss it! (I ate in the Michelin Star Kinloch Lodge and The Three Chimney's over the Easter weekend, still the best meal of the trip was David's Duisdale Dunvegan Venison.)

Room Tip: There is no lift in the hotel and it is over 3 floors so if you are a little immobile, make sure you...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed for two nights during Easter and it was a lovely and very comfortable stay. We were welcomed by Morag who showed us around the hotel and also gave us guidance on most beautiful places in Skye. We stayed in room no. 3 which has a lovely garden views; this room also has a four poster bed which was very comfortable. We had a dinner in the restaurant too which I will review separately :) There is a fair selection of breakfast and nice coffee but I must say that the breakfast staff was quite slow even though there was only couple of us in the room. They seemed a bit unorganized too. But overall experience was great.

Room Tip: Room no. 3 was spacious and clean with lovely views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed there while visiting Skye and from the moment we arrived it was a wonderful experience! The house is gorgeous, views are spectacular, and food (breakfast and dinner) and staff were great. Definitely worth a visit if your looking for a nice break and good food!

A special thanks to David who gave us fab advice about getting the most of our short time in Skye and who made us feel so welcome!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
St.Andrews
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Set back against a background of beautifully mature trees, Duisdale House is an imposing sight but it has such an outstanding view of the sea that it takes a while to take one's eyes away from it,as you park your car.
Once through the door, there's a friendly welcome and a warm lounge. Loud voices wouldn't fit in here. There's been a lot of renovation since my first visit, and I like it.
We were here for Sunday Lunch, and impressed by the menu. I chose the Scallops as a Starter, and Fillet of Highland Beef for my main course. My friend went for the Chicken, followed by Apple Crumble as dessert: not the usual kind. This one was something to start a conversation with!
If I had the opportunity, I know I'd really enjoy a long weekend here. As it was, Sunday Lunch was a memorable experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Busybee888
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sleat
Toravaig House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Flodigarry
Dunollie Hotel
Dunollie Hotel
#2 of 2 in Broadford

Been to Duisdale House Hotel? Share your experiences!