“Would have been happy to stay for longer”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sconser
Sconser Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Sconser B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 31, 2009

Unfortunately we only had time to spend one night at this lovely little hotel with fantastic views. The owners and staff were welcoming and helpful. Having suffered over-priced, pretentious and badly cooked food at most other hotels in the Western Isles my son and I were conservative and stuck to a simple choice of food which we ate in the bar. We were rewarded with a very palatable meal, the best value for money experienced on our trip, washed down with a decent house red and followed with a good Malt whilst sitting at the waters edge. I note some reviews are critical of the hotel but to my mind the slightly faded Victorian appearance added to the charm and the room was perfectly acceptable.

• Stayed: May 2009
1  Thank roadtripandson

Reviewed May 27, 2009

Lovely setting but let down by room. We had a twin with very uncomfortable beds - room and bathroom basic and bathroom cold.

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed May 22, 2009

A group of us stayed in May enroute to catching the ferry to the Isle of Harris. The location of the hotel is fantastic right on the shore overlooking the sea. The house itself is a fairly typical run down Scottish country house. Depending on which entrance you take to get into the hotel then your first impressions may differ. We took the first entrance down the side of the hotel and initially thought it was a derelict house. We noticed the main drive 20 meters further on later which was better. The rooms were a little dated and not particulary attractive. Therewas the odd corner of wallpaper hanging off, worn carpets, etc. We dined in the hotel and found the menu choice a little limited. The food was acceptable but nothing to write home about. Certain menus choices were limited and given that 5 of our party wanted venison and there was only one portion this was quite disappointing especially when it did not appear to have been busy. There is certainly better eateries fairly close by. Breakfast was nice with a choice of some local produce, kippers, haddock, etc. However it was served by an extremely surly waitress who obviously had some attitude problem that morning. I hope this is not the norm as it is not a great impression of Scottish hospitality. A decent hotel for a a nights stopover but dont expect to much.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 25, 2008

Recently stayed at th Sconser Lodge Hotel, decided on this to simply get away from it all, even though it was just for one nite. Had a really lovely stay, the owners and staff were very friendly, the evening meal and full scottish breakfast was just delicious. The hotel is situated right by th sea with fantastic views. Had a great time sitting in front of the open fire in the evening. The place had a really lovely, welcoming feel to it. Our room had a four poster with gorgeous and clean fresh bedding. will definetly be back for another special night away.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jay031
Reviewed October 19, 2008

In October 2008 my husband and I stayed at Sconser Lodge Hotel for one week. We chose the hotel as a starting point for our walks on the Isle of Skye.

The Hotel is situated next to the sea and we had a great view from our room which was comfortable and tastefully furnished. Everything was clean and in good condition.
In the evenings we enjoyed our Red Cuillin on tap in the bar next to the fireplace, where we talked to other guests and the always friendly and helpful hotel staff.

Almost every evening we had dinner at the Sconser Lodge. The food was really excellent. Freshly cooked with local products. I never had such aromatic salad and especially the seafood was fantastic! If you visit the Sconser Lodge try the hand dived scallops or the langoustines! And don´t forget the sticky toffee pudding...

I recommend this lovely family run hotel to everyone who wants to visit the amazing Isle of Skye.
We already plan a return trip. The Sconser Lodge Hotel will be our first choice.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Senigallia76
Reviewed October 16, 2008

Our visit at sonser was wonderful. We had the most wonderful view from our room, the beds were very comfortable. I believe I got the best night sleep I did on the whole trip. Every thing was Clean, informal and confortable. Craig and his staff were very accomidating.

We had a first class dinner, including the Best Scallops we have ever had, they were caught by craig himself right out front, infact we even saw the shells on the beach from where he had opened them earlier.

The location was good in that it was about half way between portree and broadford. I highly reccomend the Sconser lodge to family and friends, and would stay again if i ever get the opertunity!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Atrixwolfe
Reviewed October 15, 2008

We only visited Sconser Lodge for a meal and given the reception, I'm so glad we didn't stay. I had booked us in for a meal over the phone (last time we stayed in the area someone had recommended the food). We arrived propmptly at 8pm to find the lights at the front door all out. We could just make out a desk in the gloom but no sign of how to get attention so we made our way into the hallway. Closed doors in all directions and no sign of people. A woman emerged from a room at the end of the corridor and I told her we had booked a table. Oops - it turned out she was another guest. She directed us back out into the cold porch to search for the bell in the darkness. Eventually we found it, someone came rushing through and ushered us through the dining room into the bar, saying he would leave us with the woman behind the bar who would see to us.
We ordered drinks, she handed us menus and suggested we take a seat in the bar whilst we chose. After the cold reception we went over to the open fire! After about ten minutes, our drinks hadn't appeared and then we noticed them sitting on the bar, in front of the waitress who was involved in a deep conversation. My husband retrieved our drinks and we sat down to peruse the menu. We made up our minds, closed the menus and waited....and waited... Eventually we realised that we were expected to go up to the bar and place the order. This is absolutely fine if you are ordering a bar meal but not what I expect in a restaurant (and the prices certainly weren't bar meal prices! around £15 - £17 for main course). I could even have forgiven it if the place were busy but it wasn't - one family eating in the bar, three tables in the restaurant.
When our food was ready the barmaid/waitress then asked us to follow her through to the dining room. My husband asked where he could put his jacket - she obviously didn't hear him - but then he shouldn't have had to ask. We were directed to an enormous table set for 4 in the middle of the room, even though there were two smaller empty tables. By now I was feeling thoroughly uncomfortable. Then the food arrived and I forgot my unease - the scallops were quite simply delicious - perfectly cooked and dressed - my husband's starter was equally good. The plates were cleared away - no one asked if everything was ok and significantly no one offered us a wine list - we had to ask. The meagre candle on our table went out and no one noticed - but then the room was so brightly lit. The rest of the food was fine - even if no one asked!
There is some seriously good cooking going on in the background but eating out is about much more than just the quality of the food. The next night we went to the Old Inn at Carbost. The atmosphere was wonderful and the food was fanatstic and very reasonably priced - the sticky toffee pudding knocked spots off the one at Sconser Lodge.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Padavi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sconser
Cuillin Hills Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sligachan
Skeabost Hotel
Skeabost Hotel
#1 of 6 in Skeabost

Been to Sconser Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!