“A Vibrant Establishment.”
Review of The Isles Inn

The Isles Inn
Ranked #55 of 98 Portree B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 9, 2013

If you like being at the Hub of social nightlife in Portree, this is for you.
If you enjoy good food at a reasonable price, this is for you.
They have definitely got something right !

The Black Bar has a thatched roof with hanging stones, large open fire,
plenty Patrons and a great atmosphere.
The smallish, crowded dining area, does 2 - 3 sittings per evening, there is always a queue.
The Breakfast is more than adequate, although on 2 days Kippers were not available.
The Staff are personable and helpful and work very hard.
The Hotel is well situated in Somerland Square , the local and touring coaches leave from there.
The harbour area and shops are within easy reach.
The Bedroom, ours was No 5, was spacious with a good view of the Square.

However - The En Suite was not up to scratch and required maintenance and cleaning and there was a problem with the TV programming which was eventually sorted out.
This is not a Hotel for those who like peace & quiet as there is music most evenings until around midnight, which resonates up to the bedrooms.

If the Isles Inn ever has an off season period, which I doubt, perhaps they would consider recarpeting the stair area (bright Tartan would be good) as the dark carpet makes the steps difficult to define.
As one of the other Diner's said - they have the right Food, the right Crack (conversation) and the right Staff.
Useful Information -
We did not have good weather and did not want to drive. So we took the DayRider coach ticket which was £7.00 per person and excellent value. To Armadale and back and then to Dunvegan and back. The Coach Drivers are very helpful and advise the time of the next bus, which allows you time to explore the local area before embussing back to Portree.

Room Tip: The front rooms garner the most noise as they are above the Public areas and face the Square. Thi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
islesinn, Manager at The Isles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Thankyou for leaving us a review, it is very much appreciated and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Kippers are normally available and I can only apologise that they were not for you. We do get them locally so occasionally have to wait for a delivery. We are in the process of upgrading some of the rooms and are going to change the stair carpet, it will be tarrtan but probably in a light grey to bring some light to the area. Hopefully we shall see you again.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Arrived at this hotel a little apprehensive after reading the various reviews on Trip Advisor. Initially was a little put off by the attitude of the young chap checking us in - however he was just showing off in front of his mates and we decided to ignore his immaturity. On arrival in our room we were pleased with the size, cleanliness and standard of the room. The hallways and doors are a little run down but the building as clearly been there for a while and you don't stay in the hall so it doesn't really matter.

The bar was busy and a little noisy but hey - you choose to stay in a pub - you should expect some noise. The music went off at midnight and the only noise after this was from other drunken guests screeching on their way to their rooms.

Breakfast was great - overall a good weekend. Would recommend you try it - keep in mind it was £60 per night so you're not going to get a 5* luxury retreat!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Donna O

Thankyou for leaving us a review, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and your comments were much appreciated.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Having read some previous reviews of the Isles Inn I was slightly wary of booking a stay here, however my fears were unfounded as the room was clean and cosy, the location excellent, and the staff friendly. Would not hesitate upon booking another stay here.

Room Tip: Should mention that there is adequate free parking nearby at the long stay car park (couldn't se...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
islesinn, Manager at The Isles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thankyou for leaving us a great review I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Our rooms are clean and more than adequate at a reasonable price, we cannot please everybody however so I am delighted you left us a review after initial hesitations, thanks again.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I spent 11 days in Scotland and I found this the best pub for food quality.
We had a lamb shank and a kind of pork chop recipe. The pub was overcrowded but there was an excellent organization, so we did not have to wait much to have our dinner, having also the time to taste some of the Skye ales.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thankyou for your lovely review and I am delighted you enjoyed your meal with us hopefully we shall see you again.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

An extreme contrast to the Ranald in Oban, where we started our trek, the Isles Inn is just that - an Inn. No messing about with formalities here - the young man in the bar consulted the diary and handed over our room key, and as an afterthought told us what time breakfast was. We eased our way past the locals and ascended the carpeted stairway to our room for one night. My heart sank as I viewed what awaited us. A rucked up carpet by the vanity unit. A four poster bed with no canopy. An blackened shower with wonky doors and horror of horrors, one of those toilets that sport a machine behind them that is supposed to chew up all your doings and spit them down a half inch pipe. This loo preyed on my mind all the time until I was forced to use it! I had recollections of encountering one of these contraptions years ago in a York guest house which required 5 flushes to eventually dispose of what was not an exceptional amount (sorry about the detail).
So, intrepid reader, how can I append the same rating to this place as I have done to the brand new Ranald in Oban? The two are at opposite ends of the spectrum, surely. There can be no comparison and the Isles Inn should by rights only be awarded a grudging "1" with a litany of complaints.
Hang about though. The room was clean. Tea and Coffee was available. The bed was comfortable and the shower worked. We were over a packed and lively bar but suffered no noise problems. The breakfast was triple-star excellent, freshly cooked and enjoyable. If you are rating by the overall experience, which is what I tend to do - then this place, for all its foibles was just as accommodating.
Plus, although we didn't dine here, the inn seemed exceptional popular with locals for food. And there were a couple of lads playing music. And the beer was good. I enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it to anyone - with the appropriate caveats.
Oh, back to the loo. During the night, and at odd times of the day the machine would rouse itself and utter a few munching sounds of its own accord. A little startling the first time. But I have to say that despite my hesitance, it worked perfectly after I had used it!
My only other minor grumble would be the price of the room - but taken in context with where we were, this was just about acceptable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thankyou for taking the time to leave us a review it is appreciated. I too hate macerator toilets but they are a necessary evil in old buildings plus we inherited them BUT we are in the process, slowly, of changing them to 'proper' toilets. Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

For the last 6 years the family and I have had a meal at the Isles Inn ever since my mother started coming to Skye. Todays meal was utterly disappointing. Under cooked scallops (which as everyone knows can be dangerous), under cooked vegetables, overcooked chicken. The sauce served with the Chicken was suppose to be a Drambuie sauce however it was more like a chicken stock sauce. Additionally the vegetables were unseasoned.

Not one of the party that had a meal was 100% happy with it and unfortunately the staff did not pay attention to the customers or even asked how we felt the meal was even though there food was left.

I do not believe we will be returning to the Isles Inn in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank nuttiesa

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meal, I did email you a week ago asking if you could advise when you had eaten with us but unfortunately you have not replied back.

Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Having spent the previous two nights at The Three Chimneys up at Colbost we arrived in Portree for two nights at The Isles Inn. We were not expecting anything other than what we got, good value, clean room and a lively bar downstairs. We had live music on our second night and therefore waited until it had finished shortly after midnight before we went to bed due to the noise. Staff were friendly and the breakfast was filling. The location is in a good location and if you want value for money, this is the place to go to. We enjoyed our stay. Thank you.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Rangadog T

Thankyou for leaving us a lovely review and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay, thanks again for your lovely comments.