“Excellent fresh baking”

The Isle of Skye Baking Company
Ranked #1 of 2 Bakeries in Portree
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Scottish
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Food shop with seats - contemporary bakery specialising in artisan bread, shortbread and oatcakes. All food is available in compostible containers for take away or take a seat! Wood burning stove in winter, free parking, child friendly area. Viewing window to watch the bakery in production. Excellent coffee, homemade soups, filled lunch breads and patisserie.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Excellent fresh baking”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We were directed to the Isle of Skye Baking Company by a local shopkeeper - otherwise we might have missed out on some fine baking. The roadside sign is easily missed and might not entice the traveller in, however, if you enjoy fresh baking, it is worth looking out for. The shop/restaurant is simple, but there is a good range of bakery, which can be purchased to take away or eat on the premises. We merely wanted a snack, so the helpful assistant cut a loaf of our choice (from numerous available) and served part with butter, giving us the remainder to take away. The coffee was served in a paper cup and was okay, but nothing special. Definitely worth the visit - the number of locals who use the place tells a story!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank snorkelpony

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Good food!”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We stayed in a cottage in Carbost, and a complementary selection of items from the Isle of Skye Baking Company greeted us when we arrived. We had asked for them to be gluten-free, and I was pleasantly surprised to see two loaves of bread included, as I hadn't thought that they would do gluten-free baking. They can't guarantee that the products are totally gluten-free because they are made in the same bakery as the normal products, which for some people on a gluten-free diet would cause problems, but I decided to treat myself and go with it. At some point during the stay I definitely allowed some gluten into my diet, but I'm not sure what food it was in, and I couldn't say for sure whether it was or wasn't the loaves.

The bread was very good, my husband ate some and enjoyed it - particularly when toasted. There was a small pot of raspberry jam which was delicious, a gluten-free chocolate brownie that was also good, and a small pot of chutney which my husband really enjoyed.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank HBunyan
England
“Lovely produce, nice ambience, very helpful staff”
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We looked for this company having sampled their raspberry shortbread from a shop in Localsh. We were not disappointed. We were greeted by very friendly staff who took time explaining all the produce to us. We thoroughly enjoyed the stew and caramelised onion lunch breads, the delicious baked cheesecake and the orange cake. We bought relish, jam and breads to take away which were equally enjoyable. We also bought produce to take home for gifts for family including lavender shortbread and scottish berry jam. DO NOT MISS!!

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank Joanne H
Warwick, United Kingdom
“I agree with the local reviewer”
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I agree wholeheartedly with the reviewer who said the local bakery is better value and more representative of Scottish food. South Africa is a long way from Scotland and this bakers has a load of hyped up advertising but is a let down on some of the flavour.
Just for the naive tourist I'm afraid.

• Visited February 2012
9 Thank HubbleBubbleTrouble
Inverness
“Great wee bakery”
Reviewed February 17, 2012

We stumbled upon the bakery more by luck than design. What a find! Lovely coffee & cake served by the charming lady behind the counter. The coffee was enjoyed in a spacious, spotlessly clean area dotted with brightly painted chairs with an amazing log burner in the centre of the room. There is a marvellous array of home made jams, chutneys as well as tweed hats & locally made lovely looking jewellery. Look out for this place, it's not that easy to find but is well worth it when you get there

Visited February 2012