“less than average.”

Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner
London, United Kingdom
“less than average.”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We went to this restaurant after we noticed how busy a queue there was outside for it, since they don't take reservations either. Another person waiting outside also said he had heard things about this place so we were convinced to give it a try.

The atmosphere itself is nice and cozy and the waiters were friendly. However the food was less than impressive - The mackerel seemed as if it were frozen from a local supermarket, the presentation was very boring and lacked flavour. My dad got breaded fish and chips which again looked as if it were frozen and was very dry and my mother got mussels. Although the portion of mussels was a good size the sauce it was in was very bland. The worse part is that it certainly was way too overpriced for the quality we were given.

There are plenty of other great places in Portree, I would not recommend going here - I would rather get fresh and chips from next door and hope that the sea gulls don't come after me. This restaurant has a lot more potential to be so much better.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank RFA24

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Geneva, Geneve, Switzerland
“Good and dedicated to the improvisation lovers”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I love to improvise when I am on holiday. I hate those places where you need to reserve the day before... Lower Deck is perfect, they do not take resa... The food and the service are good, too! Just stand in line enjoying the harbour view and you'll get your table and meal in no time. Choice of beers is the only negative point - very poor

Visited July 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great place, amazing food a view”
Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

We had a great meal, great soup and salmon. The restaurant is always full and they don't take bookings so you just have to be there at 6pm when they open for dinner.

Springfield, Massachusetts
“Good but over priced”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

This restaurant had the highest rating, but was not the best experience we had in Portree. Food was delicious, but overpriced in my opinion. They do not accept reservations, but seat people on a first come, first served basis.

Visited June 2014
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, service and ambience”
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

I really wonder what is happening when I read reviews on here that seem to bear no relation to my experience. The aggressively-negative comments about abysmal food and service could not be further from the truth as far as my wife and I were concerned, and after talking to a local about this, I am wondering if there could be some business rivalry behind it all.

We went here after noticing they did not take reservations and seeing a small queue outside just before 6. We decided it should be good if people were prepared to wait, so went in at 6. By 6.40 pm it was full.

The 3 waitresses on duty were all excellent, experienced, and anxious to please. The food was top-notch, clearly cooked from scratch and very tasty. We did not feel at all rushed, though as soon as anyone left, their table would be cleared and people waiting outside would be ushered in.

To say the food was warmed-up produce from the Co-op nearby is ridiculous, and to say the polite and friendly waitresses were rude is equally so. No one HAS to wait outside, they are perfectly free to eat elsewhere, though we were glad our B&B had recommended we go there at 6 to be sure of a table immediately.

All in all, we found this an excellent place to eat and feel somewhat suspicious of the negative reviews.

Visited July 2014