“Disappointed”
Review of Kings Arms Hotel

Kings Arms Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kyleakin
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed here recently on a group holiday. I am afraid that I am not impressed with bespoke hotels. This is the second we have stayed in and frankly their standards are very poor. Again the bed was clean and comfortable but that is the only positive thing I can say about this hotel. Shabby room with a view over the dustbins. There was a smell in the corridor of cigarettes! Rushed meals, some good and some very poor. Staff overworked but very polite in the circumstances. When asked if we could have cheese and biscuits (my husband is diabetic and the sweets were not suitable) we were told they did not have any even though another party who ate later had the choice of this! If we were travelling independently and not part of a group I would not ever stay here.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lel1234

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Hotel in major need of refurb. My room on the first floor was down a corridor. The smell was awful.air fresheners were placed along the corridor on the radiators but it was still over powering.
Room very small and shabby. Tv not working. Told reception at 5pm - someone turned up at 10pm.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Chris B
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night in August but would've been better to have slept in the car. I had booked 3 twin rooms (adult and child in each) and on arrival I didn't even get chance to look at a room before the money was taken off me( should've guessed all was not right then) The receptionist was too busy with her young daughter in the back office and as for the reception area it was a disgrace. The carpets were dangerous,I have never seen carpet being held together by gaffa tape and the whole area had a distinct smell of smoke (as did the upstairs... I found a cigarette end in my room) The rooms were a disgrace,my room had curtains that were hanging off,a used tissue in the drawer and as for the bathroom I wouldn't let my 10 yr old shower as it was filthy. The shower mat was black with slime but it went pretty well with the clump of hair on the floor. The next room was damp but best of all when my 12 yr old told me about their drawer I had to look for myself... it had written inside"welcome to hell" quite an apt description from a previous guest!. The doors were awkward, my 81 yr old mother, after surviving the gaffa taped carpet couldn't open her door and I had to ask a passing guest to help me with mine as the key wouldn't turn. Breakfast consisted of over cooked eggs and cremated bacon and the waiter looked at me as if I had just landed from Mars when I asked for ketchup,eventually explained and was given two sachets of tomato sauce between 6 of us!! The carpet in the dining room needs to be ripped up,again dangerous. Tried to complain but lost the will to live waiting for someone to attend reception so I called Bespoke head office on return and was told there is only one person in the company who could deal with complaints and she was away. I explained I wasn't going away and eventually the hotel contacted me and I was given a full refund which I would suggest anyone who has been unfortunate enough to stay here does. The guy was helpful in refunding me and called back when he said he would( unlike the h.o.) I was told that they are undergoing a refurb to the reception area but it needs so much more than that the whole hotel needs to be refurbished although cleaning it would be a start. Such a shame as it could be lovely as it has such a lovely spot on the island. Never again!!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank tbdhfhdnr
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed at The Kings Arms Hotel as part of a coach tour.

Room 147 has problems with the electric sockets. There was 5 sockets in the room but the most we could expect was to have 1 working. Everyday the sockets would trip out and have to be reset. Sometimes this would happen twice a day. Comments made by the staff suggested this was an on going problem and if that was the case why wasn't it sorted?

Good luck to the next occupiers of this room.

Room Tip: Check your electrical sockets, before you unpack.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Allan W
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I spent 1 night in August at this pub hotel as we wanted to be near to Skye Bridge for the following days traveling.
You know things are not going to go well when you enter the reception area and there are quite a few people waiting to be seen and it was pretty obvious things were not going well for them.
I should have spotted the signs when they wanted paying before I had even seen the room.
I asked if there was a charge for using a card to pay but the polish? receptionist had difficulty understanding what I wanted and even more difficulty answering back.
Our room was grubby, walls have obviously had some damp in the past, patchy/blotchy painting on the walls, no extractor fan in bathroom/toilet. The room furnishings were a cheap hodge podge, The flat screen tv could only get 2 watchable channels, the other 2 or 3 were fuzzy. It was analog not digital TV, I didn't know analog TV still existed!! The whole building was grubby and I really think as already suggested on Tripadvisor, that it needs closing down and totally refurbishing before it takes any more money off people. This pub hotel is classed as Bespoke, it certainly didn't fulfill our needs.
The only saving grace was the breakfast was good along with the breakfast staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank John_Fallon
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Much better than expected! We walked through a very hot corridor on the way to our room (so can sympathise with comments made by people staying in that part of the hotel), but our room was spacious, and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was small, but did the job, so our overall experience here was good.

I thought the food was excellent, and the staff were all very friendly and polite.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights as part of a coach holiday. The location is superb with lovely views. Good view from our room across the loch to the mainland. Food and service were excellent and dining room was very pleasant. Lovely lounge area for after-dinner coffee. Would like to come back here.

Room Tip: Request a room at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank RichardE007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kyleakin
Dunollie Hotel
#1 of 1 in Flodigarry
Portree Hotel
Portree Hotel
#2 of 6 in Portree

Been to Kings Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!