Kings Arms Hotel
$100
$97
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
Kintail Lodge(Shiel Bridge)
Tigh an Eilean(Shieldaig)
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I only stayed here for one night (thankfully) and was very disappointed overall with the state of the hotel, the poor breakfast and the shock I received a few days afterwards - more on this later... Having paid £20 less for a very good B&B on the previous night, I was looking forward to a lot more for my money than I actually received. On checking in, I was informed that the showers were all out of action on the entire floor I was on, due to ongoing refurbishment works, but the bath was operational. Ok, a bit disappointing but not the end of the world, I headed up to my room, noting the tired and dated decor on the way. The theme continued on into the slightly depressing room, whereupon I noticed the ceiling light fitting was lying on the debris-strewn bathroom floor. After waiting 10 mins at reception to be seen, I was assigned another cheerless room on the same floor. On the plus side, the view of the Skye Bridge and across the water to Kyle of Lochalsh was beautiful, but that's where the beauty ended unfortunately… No debris on the bathroom floor this time but instead, obvious traces of excrement around the inside of the toilet - ugh! Not wishing to be seen as a serial complainer (or to be blamed for it after checking out!) I cleaned the bowl myself with the thoughtfully-provided toilet brush. After that, the priority was to try and warm up the room using the small wall-mounted electric heater. I’m a hill-walker so I don’t mind the cold but the room was a bit on the cool side even for me, so I took that hot bath while the heater did its best to raise the mercury a few degrees. This was only late September, so God knows how it would cope in the depths of a Scottish winter! And so to bed, which was comfortable enough and afforded me a good night’s sleep – a few pints of cider in the nearby ‘Saucy Mary’s Lodge’ (highly recommended for a good evening with live music) certainly helped with that! The next morning, breakfast was another disappointment – two small poached eggs, one small rasher of bacon and an overcooked piece of potato scone which duly arrived (not very warm) accompanied by hard, dried-out toast and nondescript coffee. Back to that shock… a few days later after returning home, I routinely checked my credit card statement as the bill was due, only to find that the hotel had made an unauthorised charge of £260 on my credit card, six days before I’d even arrived at the hotel – talk about adding insult to injury! I’d booked the hotel via Booking.com who passed my credit card details to the hotel to guarantee my booking – it transpired that coincidentally someone with the same distinctive surname as me had also booked there via Booking.com and the hotel had charged their bill to my card in error. Booking.com Customer Services were excellent in dealing with my complaint and I subsequently received a refund of the £260 from the hotel, but at £55 for a forgettable night’s stay, this was neither cheap nor cheerful.

Room Tip: Find a good B&B instead!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Scotfree53
OHIML, General Manager at Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your thought onto TripAdvisor. The hotel is currently in the process of being re-furbished and showers and redecoration are definately on the list for the near future. I would like to apologize once again for the clerical error regarding your credit card and I can assure you that it is the first time it has happened and new measures are in place to make sure it does not happen again. Should you wish to stay with us again as I hope you will, please contact me directly and I will be happy to deal with your booking.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

You get what you pay for. Rooms were adequate and clean , but bit tired. Bath only - there were signs of a shower to be fitted but nothing operational.

Evening meal and breakfasts were ok. Young staff in the hotel were great in all the areas we met them - both local staff and other nationalities. The older staff and especially the receptionist need a bit of customer training.

Location and views great and the owning chain look as if they are trying to improve it , which is good. No obvious sign of a manager in charge when we were there which may not help some of the additude type issues from the older staff who seemed to also enjoy a good moan about their shifts, workload etc which is never good for customers to hear.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
OHIML, General Manager at Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you for your recent comments after your stay with us. Please be assured that we take all customer comments seriously and put in place the necessary action to improve daily. There is a planned maintenance programme for painting within the hotel and hopefully we can have all bedrooms completed before we re-open next season to complement the new beds ,TV’s, flooring and new showers that are in place in all bedrooms along with the planed new curtains and soft furnishings. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and you can see all the work once it has been completed.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed here in 2008 and it was looking ver old and tired back then and it's even worse now.

The receptionist when we arrived was awful, so unwelcoming and her language in front of customers was terrible - there was a complete lack of customer focus.

The rooms were a disgrace, mouldy bathroom walls, threadbare carpets, old tatty furniture and dirty, scuffed walls, definitely not worth the money paid for it! If I'd been charged £45 per night, this is what I would've expected!

This hotel needs some, no sorry A LOT of upgrading and a new receptionist!

You can get a lovely hotel or b&b elsewhere for the same money or cheaper so don't waste your £80!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel for a good room, you won't get one here!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for you feedback. The hotel is in the process of receiving investment of £200,000 which will see all carpets and soft furnishing replaced as well as new beds, furniture, showers, televisions. I would like to assure you that we fully intend to restore the property to it’s full potential but as you can imagine this is a lenthy process that cannot happen overnight. However, the need for investment can be no excuse for the poor cleanliness and general maintenance issues that you mention and for this I apologise and again accept my reassurance that this will be dealt with accordingly.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

The views and location great. The staff were very helpful but the food very basic - boiled potoes in skins with every evening meal (no choice) and rewarmed vegetables. Effort on presentation was made even though mostly tasteless.
View from room was over massive gas tanks and very worryingly the window was painted shut!
No working shower, odd taps in sink, paint peeling off walls, stained. Twin bedded room very small - no drawers, one bedside table - couldn't swing a cat! Obviously hadn't been decorated for many many years......

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
OHIML, General Manager at Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Thank you for your comments after your recent stay at the kings Arms. Our refurbishment is on-going and will be completed for the start of next season hopefully. All the showers will be finished, new curtains and soft furnishing will be in place and we have a programme of painting works over the closed season. I am glad your group enjoyed your weekend with us, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Despite having seen the wide range of reviews for this 2 STAR hotel, we had a very enjoyable stay between 21-24 September 2012. The hotel is clearly going through a period of refurbishment, but the bath/shower issue was made clear on arrival and with so much hot water it didn't matter anyway. Showers should be in all the rooms by the end of the refurbishment. Whilst the decor was a little tired in places, this was more than made up by very friendly and efficient staff, good food and the rooms were spotlessly clean. We requested a specific table layout for an evening event and nothing was too much trouble, despite having to deal with their normal coach parties. Maybe our event was so enjoyable because nobody there was looking for something to complain about. Good value and based on this experience great for the non-petty.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jim A
OHIML, General Manager at Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Thank you very much for your comments after your recent stay. The refurbishment is still on-going and all the rooms will be ready for the 2013 season. I am glad to hear that your group enjoyed staying with us here and that we got it right with timings and seating arrangements as requested. I hope that you will be back next year and will be able to see the finished product once our refurbishment programme is complete.