Kings Arms Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Kintail Lodge(Shiel Bridge)
Tigh an Eilean(Shieldaig)
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed recently with a large group of hill walkers and friends and having read all the previous comments on Tripadvisor was prepared for the very worst. I was therefore pleasantly surprised that the modest refurbishment which was apparent had resulted in acceptable public areas in the hotel and ensuite facilities which provided good bath and shower arrangements though was surprised at the original combination of hand basin taps which did not match.
This is a hotel that basically (in the literal sense) caters for the budget end of the bus tour market and if you are not in that market you should not come here. We knew what to expect and I don't think we were disappointed. The rooms were clean, the beds comfortable and the meals lightening fast but good enough, with a special mention for the breakfast which was not overcooked and was indeed a full Scottish breakfast. I think there was general relief that the food was fine and not dreadful but that is surely not what should be in the minds of the guests in the first place.
The staff have clearly been taking English lessons since previous reviews have been posted as there was no language problems and they were efficient and helpful if somewhat over worked.
The weather was great and the views over to Kyle spectacular but I don't think the management can take any credit for that.
So why do I rate this hotel as 'poor'. I think there are clear management issues when the receptionist can roar into a packed reception area ' there's no parking cars at the front of the hotel' and when asked why replied 'because we have a sign in our front window telling you'. Absolute nonsense, of course, but sufficiently upsetting to the large number of elderly guests who had just disembarked from their coach and were now trying to check in. And later, on trying to get a couple of drams of Highland Park from the hotel bar to be told 'Sorry but we only have two small measures left because there's only twelve days left until the hotel closes for the season.' What!!!!!!!!!!!
And on leaving reception to find my room, I travelled down so many long tatty corridors with worn scruffy carpets through a never ending succession of battered fire doors, I would not have been at all surprised to emerge, blinking from the gloom, into the West End of Glasgow. What a long long journey.
The hotel bar is far too bright, has far too few tables and chairs, and is generally completely soulless.
The overall feeling one is left with is of having stayed in an old peoples home, the sole purpose of which is to feed the residents in as short a time as possible and at a time suitable to the management and not to the residents or guests, and then get them off to bed as early as possible so the staff can climb on the treadmill yet again to prepare the breakfast for the next morning. This is a factory not a hotel.
With a little more money spent on it, a bit more staff training (don't think there's any hope for some of them though), and a bit more flexibility and imagination, the guests would stay up longer, drink more beer and give the management a new and large income stream. It's called 'bar takings'.
And maybe you should think of increasing the prices by a couple of pounds a night to get the additional capital to invest in the property. The prices we paid were very cheap but actually represented poorish value. We would have paid more for a modestly higher quality of experience. I may stick my head round the door next year to see if the improvements continue and if so hope for a much improved welcome and a bar which has had some money spent on it.
Good luck.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
OHIML, General Manager at Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you for your recent comments and please believe me when I say that we take all our customer comments seriously.
I am pleased that you found our restaurant and food to a high standard as did others in your party as they have also posted their comments too. I am also pleased to hear the you found the rooms good for a standard 2 star hotel.
The fire doors do take a battering due to the 1000 plus people that come through the doors on a weekly basis over the course of the summer. There is ample seating in the lounge bar with 17 tables and seating for 65 with also the public bar available with seating but I apologise you found there was not ample room for your liking.
The hotel was closing for the season a week after you stayed with us so, as any business would, we started to run down the stock of malt whisky’s rather than having them sitting on a shelf all winter. However there was highland park available in the public bar which we felt was a suitable alternative.
The hotel does have 3 signs asking guests not to park in front of the hotel as the police and fire brigade need a clear thoroughfare and you wont see any cars park on the main road in the full length of the village.
I am sorry we did not meet your expectations on this visit and hope that you will visit the king’s arms in the future when the refurbishments have been finished so that you can see the improvements for yourself.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Having just spent two nights at the Kings Arms we couldn't have have had a more pleasurable experience. Robert and his staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. The beds were new and comfortable and if not for the lure of the plentiful breakfast would have slept in longer. The public bar had many friendly faces and I spent s few hours getting to know them. Thankyou to Nicole for taking such good care of our daughters, they had a great time. I will have no hesitation in bringing my wife and three girls back as soon as we can.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ForrestBlundell
OHIML, General Manager at Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Thank you for your recent comments after your stay at the Kings Arms. We hope we make everybody feel at home while staying here and glad you found the new beds (which we have in all the bedrooms) comfortable.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Good hotel, food and staff. Exellent view from hotel. Pity about the little items like bathroom mirror light not working. No shelf on bathroom mirror. Half of toilet roll holder missing.On bus tour for 5 days

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank alanferguson
OHIML, General Manager at Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Thank you for your feedback, I will discuss this with my maintenance team. I apologise for the poor service you have received on this occasion and I hope you do not take it as a reflection of the high standards that we aim to deliver daily.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I visited this hotel last week and was shocked how awful it was.

I arrived at lunch time and asked if I could check in to be told in a rude manner that checkin was after 3pm. At no point was I offered to leave bags or have a coffee.

I then left hotel and went sight seeing and returned at 9pm to check in, only to wait whilst a drunk guest was flirting with receptionist .

I was then given my key and left to find my room. To call this hotel a dump is an under statement. The carpets seem 20 years old red or brown tartan, Then there is pink / orange walls to a dado rail then what would of been cream blown vinyl wall paper that is bear or hanging off.

I then went in the room only to find wallpaper was hanging off the walls. the room was vile. There was rotting windows and again threadbare carpets.

I guess the bathroom was updated a few years back because at least that was acceptable.

I asked to change rooms but was told hotel was full, from a coach party.

I did get a breakfast but again the food was cheap and tasteless. Own brand supermarket cornflakes summed up the place. cheap and nasty

No wifi anywhere. This really is a terrible hotel. Great location but a complete dump.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Greenoak

Please be assured that we do take your comments most seriously and will certainly be looking into the issues you have raised. Feedback such as yours is always welcome in helping us to improve our hotel and the service we offer our guests in the future.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

very disapointing it was very busy thought the room was very basic paid less and had better facilities could do with being brightened up comfortable bed not good value had to wait for our table poor selection for breakfast and didnt have something i ased for very rushed

Room Tip: check online closely check reviews
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your constructive comments and you can be assured we will be improving the issues that you have raised. I have already spoken with the restaurant manager to ensure that Breakfast is better staffed and the level of service is much improved.