MacKinnon Country House Hotel
$156
$100
$97
  • Restaurant
All reviewshonesty barisle of skyedining room isstayed here for two nightsfull scottish breakfastbreakfast was excellentpoached eggscarolbridgeearsmainland
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This hotel is perfectly located for an early escape from Skye. On first sight, you will be taken by the incontrovertible problems which any hotelier would have in keeping this 1929 property looking spic and span….it just cannot be done. Accepting the slightly decrepit certainty you enter by half a door (I never got the other half to open but it surely must) and find yourself plunged into that uniquely English period of late 20th century mock-shambolic. This is not necessarily a bad thing but when the entrance door is only half working and the mosaic steps are crumbling it is disappointing to find what you expected. Contrary to other reports, and speaking as found on the day, we did not receive a warm welcome except from the resident dog. I entered after a few minutes as my wife had gone in ahead and was looked at with some puzzlement as though it was difficult to imagine TWO guests within two minutes; I had to ask where my wife was and was told laconically “through there”….and that was it.
Having established ourselves in our very large room we were taken at once by the stentorian throbbing from a beast of a central heating boiler which lurked in a cupboard (locked, thankfully) in our room (21 for future reference). This hissing, roaring bezemer seemed to be the heat source for the whole Island and it ran for 24 hours a day, every day on a 185 seconds off and 16-28minutes on continuous cycle (I timed it lying awake at 3.05 a.m. until 5.25 a.m.
Now, you are going to ask, why not complain? Well, I’ll tell you. First off, we may be sensitive to ANY noise in the night but if you live beside Heathrow Airport the noise would not bother you…so it could be us. Second…the host/chef/owner(?) is a very genial and quite bizarrely eccentric ex-army cook/chef. He is extremely affable and quite delightfully unselfconscious. He works hard but just does not seem to have got himself a “team” together. We just thought he had enough on his plate.
Dinner is a grand affair in the underfloor heated conservatory with anti-cat burglar flooring that squeaks and groans, drowning out conversation, if anyone moves. So loud is the floor that I could not hear the boiler in our room. So that’s a plus.
All the accoutrements of fine dining are here. Ice pails languish unused and unknown against one wall. A dated but fine wooden podium stands as a reminder of days past (or to come?) when the maitre de checked your reservation and twirled you to your table. Not any more. Once again, we were left alone to our own devices. I must put on record that IF you asked for anything, I got the feeling you would get it…but isn’t asking tiring when you are on holiday?
This lack of information extends throughout. There is NOTHING in the room about the hotel, its history, local facilities, local walks, how to work the bloody television (not possible if you need to plug in the hotel hair drier found by accident in a drawer). There is a decanter of something on the dresser which we later found contained the hotels only Grouse Whisky (non behind the help-your-self honesty bar, without ice or lemon or tonic or, naturally, anyone to advise) and which is FREE. We only found this out by accident, too. No information given.
Nothing about the gardens, the walks in the grounds…in fact, the place does not stick up for itself….so I am not going to either.
Breakfast slow but dinner showed signs of sporadic accomplishment. The chef/owner/manager/maitre de works too hard and is thin (but only) on the ground. Needs more of everything except the plethora of baroque bits and pieces everywhere you look. Full deep-sea diving gear, fish tank with crashed German aircraft (unlit and gloomy) and a whole car-boot sale of someone’s memorabilia. Not for me. Note that this review is EARLY SEASON in a year where the seasons are late….so things reported here are as found on the day.

Room Tip: Ask not for Room 21. Remember it is whisky in the decanter and it is free but of unknown vintage...tasted good to me, though.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tectak
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

This country house is incredibly beautiful on the inside. On a cold and windy night in Skye, it felt amazing to have pushed the door open to house like this one. The furnishings were pretty and the tartan carpet perfected the look of the place. As we made a couple of wrong turns along the way and were quite worried as we had missed the check-in time. However, our worries were unfounded as Ian was still active around the house and was happy to check us in despite the late hour. He is extremely friendly and even gave us an upgrade (from a quad room to two rooms: Buchanan and Thompson) as the hotel wasn't full that night. Both rooms were warm and comfortable but the Thompson room was a lot bigger and had a vintage feel to it. We were welcomed with some shortbread and there was even some scotch whisky in the rooms!

The next
morning we got out and were thoroughly impressed with how the house was set against a mountainous backdrop. Mackinnon is located in a small town near the Skye bridge and was perfect for our departure towards Loch Ness.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 23, 2013

we had a very enjoyable stay at the hotel, staff were very friendly, food was very tasty rooms clean and cosy, the large garden will be fantastic in the late spring with all the daffodils and bluebells that are starting to come to the surface during our visit in march 2013

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Arrived unbooked off-season (not booking as not sure we needed to stay in Skye), but checked booking.com which said same number of double rooms available (3) as had been that morning and the night before - lady looked up (?down) at me and said All Rooms were booked (I'm mid-50's and don't look like a rowdy hooligan!). I said I should have booked this morning as 3 rooms had shown on booking.com, to which she bluntly replied "You should have". A bit taken aback, I then checked online via mobile phone and they were still advertising 3 rooms available - I returned to reception, and advised lady there that she should probably reset / adjust her listings on booking.com as they were still showing vacancies - she simply said booking.com must be wrong as the hotel was fully booked (except for a single room this time) and that booking.com gave her all the business and its list was full. I said that I could press the booking.com online app and asked what would happen then if I showed her a reservation? - mumbled answer only.
I write this as it seems to be in keeping with other reports re this hotel - either very good or very poor - not much in-between. Obviously my face did not fit the type of customer they were looking for.
So watch out if you turn up unexpected (or booked because maybe they overbook?)

2  Thank WRLR
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed here for three nights in march15-17th. We were travelling with our dog Meg and we were made very welcome. The rooms are clean, comfortable and warm. The breakfast is great. Also dinned in the restaurant one evening and had a lovely meal.
Herons nesting in the trees in the hotel gardens. Fantastic!
A great place to stay and enjoy all the wonderful things the island has to offer.