MacKinnon Country House Hotel
Winkle hall(Kyleakin)
Hillside(Kyleakin)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshonesty barisle of skyedining room isstayed here for two nightsfull scottish breakfastbreakfast was excellentpoached eggscarolbridgeearsmainland
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Since we first arrived to the Mackinnon House, we received excellent and kind personal attention from Ian, the owner and manager, which complemented the charm of the property and made us feel truly at home. The house is very nicely decorated, cosy and very clean. The rooms are comfortable, the garden beautiful and breakfast is generous and yummi. Small details such as the honesty bar and ammenities in the room enhance the atmosphere of hospitality. I travelled with my grandparents and my husband and all of us feel really grateful to Ian for making us feel so welcome and pampered. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor overlooking the garden are the nicest.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank AnaOsunaOrozco
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I stayed in MacKinnon house recently with my partner and we found it very unwelcoming. The house itself has so much potential as its has beautiful garden and a lovely honesty bar. The rooms are spacious and clean. Unfortunately, It is let down hugely by the lack of friendly staff and heating. When we arrived the lights were switched off. When we entered the main hall there was one woman sitting in the dark at a computer. She didn't welcome us or even speak to us. After introducing ourselves we were led to our rooms in silence. It was awkward and very unwelcoming in fact it was very creepy. The room was clean and presentable but again cold. We asked about the heating and was told bluntly ''it is on a timer'' ''I appreciate it is cold''. We were unable to use the honesty bar or lounge as both the lights and heating were not on there either. We had to leave the hotel to find somewhere we could sit to warm up. Although on return we were given a portable heater for our room it meant we were confined to it as the rest of the house was freezing.
Despite the cold it was the lack of friendly service and welcome that bothered us the most during our stay. Unfortunately, the lady in question seems to be the owner therefore there won't be a change of staff anytime soon and so we would not recommend this hotel to any of our friends.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank M C
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I stayed at the Mackinnon House whilst working at Kyle. We were starting early and finishing late so we didn't see much of the staff or the owners until breakfast on ther last day, but they were very friendly and welcoming. I think we were the only guests there for a couple of nights. Anyway, the rooms were clean, and very snug given the inclement weather outside. The whole hotel has an air of quiet Scottish charm about it, which we loved. And the most friendly "guard dog"! We didn't get to eat at the hotel due to our working ours, but breakkie on the last day was fine.

I've worked in Kyle several times over the years an previously always stayed on the mainland, but I would be happy to stay at the Mackinnon again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank DavidElGato
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights here. When we arrived the receptionist really did not speak to us during check in process. This was uncomfortable. I had asked for a ground floor room so we were in the lodge building behind the main hotel. The room was large and comfortable,but, we could see that the carpet had not been vacuumed before our arrival. We did eat one evening meal here and it was very good.This place has the potential to be very nice.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I booked the MacKinnon Country House hotel for an evening meal on the recommendation of another guest-house further down the road. I almost didn't bother to turn up as the receptionist had been distinctly unfriendly on the telephone, making me feel that perhaps outside dinner guests were not really welcome. However, as there didn't appear to be any other good restaurants in the area we went ahead with the booking. I have to say that the lady on reception was as disdainful in person as she was on the phone - not even bothering to smile or look me in the eye when I confirmed our arrival! Once in the dining room however, the atmosphere completely changed, and we were served a delicious meal which everone enjoyed, so our compliments to the chef. Many thanks also to Sandra, the wonderful waitress who went out of her way to make us feel like special guests. She is a real treasure!!! I am glad we saw the evening out and stayed (in spite of the initial frosty welcome).

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends