“Love Otters”

Bright Water Visitor Centre
Ranked #2 of 4 things to do in Kyleakin
Reviewed September 14, 2013

This visitors centre was almost missed but glad we found it and even though part of it is more orientated towards young children it is worth a little visit if like us you love otters and this is where you need to purchase your tickets to visit the Gavin Maxwell Museum at Eilean Ban (The Island under the Bridge).

2  Thank KGR247

Reviewed September 10, 2013

great source of information about local wildlife and helpful info on where to look for otters etc. Great to give you an insight into the marine ecosystem of the area.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Having read Ring of Bright Water as a child, I have always wanted to know more about the background to Gavin Maxwell and his otters.
This was certainly fulfilled, and I also discovered so much more about the wildlife in this area.
The exhibits are informative and interesting, and there is a lot for all different ages.
The staff are very friendly and helpful, and it was a real pleasure to visit.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Went Oor to the museum to book tickets for the wife and I really friendly lady had to wait till two o'clock for the tour to start so headed back Oor the bridge tour mannie very informative really good tour ALSo met the man who gifted them the statue of an otter this tour is a must great little island only thing that spoils it is the hideous bridge

2  Thank oman987
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We went to the Centre purely to buy tickets for the visit to Eilean Ban (the tiny island under Skye Bridge, where Gavin Maxwell wrote "Ring of Bright Water"), but found that it was an attraction on its own account. There is plenty of information about local wildlife, and where you might find it, and there's a little nature-related activity area for children, which I enjoyed very much, even though we didn't have any children with us!

We had to come back later in the day for our visit to Eilean Ban, which, as it happened, didn't disrupt our day at all, but could have been considered a little inconvenient. Parking for the trip to the island is precarious, because you have to use a limited space at the side of the road just before the bridge. I imagine that's why only small groups are shown around at any one time.

First, we visited the museum, and the guide gave us some interesting insights into Gavin Maxwell's life and lifestyle. From there, we climbed up the lighthouse. I left the others to go to the very top, via a very narrow ladder and hatch opening, while I sat on a conveniently-placed chair at the base of the ladder and waited for them! Then we visited the beautifully-designed otter hide, but, sadly, saw no otters.

All in all, I found the tour uplifting and interesting, even though I've never seen "Ring of Bright Water", nor read any of Gavin Maxwell's books.The island itself was an oasis of peace, and it's well worth the visit.

1  Thank Gillian P