“Lovely spot for a stopeover”
Review of Dunvegan Hotel

Dunvegan Hotel
Ranked #9 of 10 Dunvegan B&B and Inns
Lochcarron, United Kingdom
“Lovely spot for a stopeover”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights in January. I was extremely well looked after. The food was very good "pub grub", and the portions were very generous. Although I would not say this hotel would be ideal for people to stay for a week, it is ideal if you are travelling through Skye or the Highland and are looking for a stopover for the night. Contrary to other reviews, there are a number of places to eat out in Dunvegan.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We didn't stay in the hotel but did have a meal here. Granted, the restaurant area was quiet but the lady ' owner' couldn't have looked more disinterested if she'd tried when we arrived enquiring about a table. We were told we could eat then as they would probably shut up the restaurant soon if no-one else came in. This was about 7pm. We looked at the menu board and said we'd eat and she took her time getting up from her seat before going behind the bar to take our order. The meals were only average and the atmosphere completely flat. I know this hotel from years ago and it used to be lively and previous owners enthusiastic. Such a shame given its beautiful location and many years standing that it has come to this. On a brighter note, down in the cellar bar, the atmosphere prevails from years gone by thanks to Willie and the faithful regulars. If only the owner could look to his engaging and fun personality to inject some life upstairs.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank leoxlady

Travelers are raving about these Dunvegan hotels

Lancashire
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Having recently stayed in Dunvegan for a week, we visited the hotel twice for an evening meal. The first night we were well looked after and the food was quite good. We went a few nights later as there are not many places to eat out in Dunvegan. When we got there only a couple of tables were taken, maybe 5 people in all. The bar area is quite large with quite a number of tables, it was indicated that they were expecting a large party plus they had to keep some tables free just in case any of the guests in the hotel wanted to eat, also there was only one person in the kitchen (not our problem). Reluctantly we're given a table in the corner whilst the anticipated large party arrived. It transpired that the large party was only 7 people and there were no other guests that arrived wanting meals. The first course arrived and was okay. When the main courses arrived the size of my husband's salmon was just incredible. The piece of salmon was so thin it wasn't even the width of a knife. Considering the price for the salmon dish was £13.50 and it was my husband that had ordered the meal we felt it was an insult and had the feeling of being completely ripped off. Whilst we appreciate that fish can be expensive that was absolutely disgusting. Think they should re-consider their portion control.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Giminana
Brisbane Australia
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I tried booking for a night near Dunvegan weeks in advance but most of the accommodation was already booked out. We were relieved when we found the rooms available here. The accommodation was comfortable and breakfast fine.

Room Tip: There are loch view rooms and hill view rooms - ask for your preference
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We arrived in dungevan on a tour of the isle of skye with very limited accomadation aviable, so with the rubbish weather decided to settle upon the dungevan hotel, at first recieving nice hospitality, we firstly went down for food and a drink, which was ok, although not to fresh tasting and overally boiled, it was then when back in the room, when we discovered the digusting state of the room, with a carpet that looked like it hasn't been vacked in years, lots of dead moths, brown mould growing in the shower and a awfull smell to the whole room, howvever nice view out of the window, also discovered a broken bed, which was impossible to sleep on, after a night with very little sleep, my girlfriend decided on not having the breakfast while i made the mistake of doing so, awful smell in the dining room, fruit juice was nice, but the cooked food was absouluty disgusting, had all seemed to have been but through a microwave. All in all would not stay here again in serious needed of diy and cleaning, shame as lovely views in a nice village.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sam n
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We spent the night here after arriving at what we thought was Skye's second biggest town, only to find not much option on the b&b front, ie just Dunvegan Hotel available.

As others have said, it's a bit like going into a time warp entering this hotel, but that seemed to be the case for most of the highlands so we grew to expect it. The room was fine, clean enough - ancient tv though with only 3 working channels. The shower was dire though! We ate in the restaurant without mishap and I thought the food was quite nice, portion size was fine. Breakfast too was nice - had fresh fruit rather than tinned.

The hotel needs a lot of updating, but it serves its purpose for a night.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ra'anana, Israel
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I arrived in Dunvegan today, staying at the guesthouse across the road, I was looking for a place to have dinner. The Dunvegan Hotel restaurant seemed to be the only thing open around this area (at 7:10pm). I wish I'd have read other reviews here before I even attempted it.

I went into the restaurant. Being alone, I felt uncomfortable immediately, people were staring at me. I approached the lady at the restaurant and asked if I could take away food, she said no. And so I said, "ok, I'll just sit here". Then I looked at the menu, since I'm vegan and there were no vegan options on the menu, I asked if I could just have fries, since they come as a side order to many meals. The woman said "no, we don't do just fries for dinner". So I said, "ok, but there are no vegan options here so there's nothing I can eat" and she said "we don't do just fries for dinner" so I said that I understand, but is there anything else I could have suitable for vegans, and the woman said no, and giggled a little. I'm glad she found it funny, being the only restaurant open at this time, and seeing as fries WERE ON THE MENU, I thought they'd care a little more, guess I was wrong.

I drove a little down the road and found the beautiful Old School restaurant which had a great vegan dish and seemed all around nicer, with great service that come with a smile. Skye is full of nice Scots, no need to get served by grumpy ones.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank lalyil
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunvegan
Cuillin Hills Hotel
#4 of 10 in Dunvegan
Kinloch Follart
Kinloch Follart
#1 of 3 in Dunvegan

Been to Dunvegan Hotel? Share your experiences!