“Warm and friendly welcome” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waterside Cafe Bistro

Waterside Cafe Bistro
Ranked #4 of 8 Restaurants in Dunvegan
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Soups, Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Cafe Bistro, with decking providing outside seating to the rear of the Cafe Bistro, looking out over Loch Dunvegan. Next to the village filling- station,
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Warm and friendly welcome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

Excellent service in attractive surroundings with local art displayed on the walls. Well presented and delicious food. We would certainly come again when next in area.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Arleneskye, Owner at Waterside Cafe Bistro, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments. We hope it won't be too long before you return to Skye! It's a long way from Kent - but well worth the journey.
Hopefully you'll manage to visit us for Dinner, as well.

Inverness
“Home Cooked microwave meals”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

My friend and her two children and I ate here at the beginning of the month. It is a nice modern clean cafe' / Bistro but unfortuntely all the meals although home cooked seem to be roasted to within an inch of their lives in the microwave.I had curry which was ok, but nothing really to speak about and quite a small portion, my friend had chilli con carne which had a very watery base - presumably because it had just been defrosted and reheated - tasty she said but again quite a small portion. The kids only had soup which came with bread which they enjoyed and appeared to be home made.

The customer service was not great - order taken after a 10 minute wait although no one else was in at the same time as us. Then another long wait for meals to be served and meanwhile the microwave was pinging in the background. You can also hear every word spoken in the kitchen - something the management should be a bit more aware of as it was unprofessional hearing the staff being told what to do by the boss.

My husband & I popped in again at the weekend hoping they did something like Sunday Roast, but the menu was very similar. I had macaroni, which was ok although slightly overdone in the microwave and my husband had linguine and meatballs which he really enjoyed - a good hearty portion.

I don't think I would go back as food heated up in the microwave does not appeal to me, shame it could not be served as freshly cooked as I would definately go back if this was the case.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Chanelbabe8
I remember your second visit to our cafe Bistro very clearly - and your first visit also - although I hadn't realized you were the same guest.
On the occaision of your first visit, we were very busy in the kitchen and hadn't noticed your arrival. This is the reason for the request on the top of the menu, prompting guests to come to the counter to order. Of course, when we are aware of customers arriving, we are very happy to take the order at the table. It was only hearing the childrens' voices that alerted us to your party.
Regarding portion control. We have had to upgrade the plate size from 27cm to 30cm, as the portion size is too big for the smaller plate. I am afraid I dispute your remark 'quite a small portion'. In both cases.
We were very aware of guests hearing us. Unfortunately commercial kitchens are quite noisy and to be heard by each other we have to 'speak up', one downside of an open kitchen. We now have music in the seating area, which has helped resolve the problem.
I think it is quite acceptable for the 'boss' to instruct the staff.

I'm sorry you feel so strongly against microwaves. We serve our home made meals All Day - from 10a.m. until 9p.m. - and it really isn't acceptable for food to be kept hot, for even half of that time. The thought of our very popular fish chowder being kept hot for any length of time makes me shudder with Horror!
We pride ourselves on our Home made food - from soup to main meals, to cakes & scones, ect. & the amazing feedback we receive from our customers keeps us cooking!
I'm so glad your husband enjoyed his meal & hope he can persuade you to come & visit us again.
Cheshire,UK
“A welcoming place for a quick coffee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

We had good coffee with a great view over the loch. The cakes, tray bakes and meals looked very good too but we didn't have time to try them. We would definitely return. It was really encouraging to see that there were local patrons as well as tourists.
In remoter parts of Scotland it can be difficult to find a place for a quick cuppa or a light meal (all one needs after a hefty Scots breakfast!) so this place is very welcome.
It seems odd to rate 5* on just a couple of coffees but it is difficult to see how it could have been done better.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank CheshireCat44
Wow! What can I say? You can definitely come again!
Joking aside, I'm so glad you enjoyed our coffee. It is the best we can get - in fact it's roasted right here on Skye, by Craig - who has a business in Broadford. He blended different beans until he found the one I liked best - and that's the one we use - blended especially for us!
I hope you can spend more time with us when you come back. In the meantime, thank you for taking the trouble to give us such a great review.
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
“What a pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

This delightful little cafe isn't what you'd normally expect attached to a local petrol station. It's tiny but very attractively appointed and the coffee and food were really good when we called in. We were disappointed that we only discovered it at the end of our stay near Dunvegan, otherwise we'd have visited a few more times.

Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, United Kingdom
“Good coffee & cake”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

Pleasant cheery service.
Bean to cup coffee - good.
Homemade cake selection - no complaints.
also the Ice cream (Rizzas of Huntly I think) was just perfect on a hot sunny day!

Small cafe, next to petrol station, but views are fantastic.
Worth a visit.