All reviews tasting menu split level scones oysters isle of skye venison local produce before dinner long drive loch dunvegan little touches breakfast room each evening remote location granola single track road porridge
Reviewed December 10, 2010

For my 30th birthday my Fiancé treated me to two nights in the House over By, and dinner each night in the Three Chimneys. It was an absolutely fabulous weekend, and I will try to reign in the gushing whilst I write this review.

Location:

The location of this place has to be seen to truly be believed. You drive to the farthest end of Skye, then turn onto a single track road and drive even farther west. The eventual location is absolutely stunning, with Loch Dunvegan metres away, and hills all around. It is completely silent at night, with an absolutely stunning view of the stars, and is truly peaceful. The place is surrounded by wildlife, with deer roaming the moors around it, seals in the loch outside, and dolphins (which we regrettably didn’t see) only a wee drive away.

Service:

The service was absolutely impeccable, with a warm welcome (and cakes) upon arrival, to the ‘nothing is too much trouble’ attitude that everyone seems to exude to the amazing knowledge displayed. The staff were only too happy to help us with local walks, suggesting difficulties and areas of interest, even preparing a really good packed lunch for our full day of walking. The general attitude was very laid back and unintimidating, although I understand why some may be a little put off by the evening service, as it is somewhat ‘silver’ – although this is evidenced by the staff being extremely polite, rather than snooty. Indeed they were quick to pick up on our level of comfort, and adjust their conversation accordingly. You always feel welcome somewhere when you never have to tell anyone your name. They just KNOW who you are, even if you have never spoken to them before.

Accommodation:

The accommodation was cozy, modern and clean, as well as a wee bit rustic. The whole place has recently been refurbished, and everything is of the highest quality (for example, the toilet brush is Brabantia – true indulgence!) This place does not aim to look like a super modern city centre hotel, and individuals who have commented negatively would do well to remember that the aim is to show how good life can be on Skye, not to emulate other places. It has its own style and is unashamedly proud of it. It goes without saying that there is Sky and Broadband, but the little things that are unexpected really make it, which you can discover for yourself, rather than me telling you!

Food:

This is what elevates this place from excellent to unbeatable. The food was simply outstanding; we had a three course ala carte (included in the room rate) the first night, and on the second treated ourselves to the seven course (nine including appetizers and pre-deserts) taste of Skye dinner. Everything was incredibly fresh, with most of the ingredients being sourced locally (within five miles) and the shellfish coming from the Loch right outside. The presentation was beautiful, and the wine list was tombe like in its complexity. (Although plenty of sommeliers were on hand to assist, again in a completely unsnooty manner). We had a few waiters serve us, and one (whose name I regrettably cannot remember) was truly outstanding. I tried to throw him with several complicated questions about the food and drink, and simply couldn’t.

Cost:

A major sticking point for most people. For us two nights including all meals and plenty of wine came to just under £1000. This is a lot of money for us, and yet does not feel for a second that it has been wasted. Some things simply have to be experienced, and this is one of them.

This was really a wonderful weekend, and despite the cost, we would visit again in a second. In fact, she turns 30 next year…

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank DustMonkey
Shoreside, Owner at The Three Chimneys House Over-By, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2011

Dear Dust Monkey,

This is a fabulous review! Thank you very much for taking so much time and putting so much careful thought into its creation. I do hope that someone special treats you to another visit in the future. SS

A TripAdvisor Member
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2010

I am very sad to have had to leave this wonderful, warm, inviting piece of heaven yesterday. What an experience! This was a rare birthday treat for me as I turned 39 and 365 days and it was everything I hoped it would be after finding this little gem in a Sunday Herald article named "100 Things To Do in Scotland Before You Die." They were so right.
We pushed the boat out a bit to pay for an overnight stay in a gorgeously sumptuous room at the House Over By as well as dinner and it was worth every penny to us.
The food was outstanding, the service was impeccable with no trace of the 'snootiness' you can often get at top quality restaurants and we felt so at home, it felt strange to leave - or maybe I just wished very hard that I didn't have to...
The location is truly stunning; with rooms so cosy and comfortable and top quality extra's thrown in. We guzzled the gorgeous Three Chimneys tablet within about 10 minutes of check in, followed by complimentary melt-in-the-mouth muffins that made me ashamed to ever attempt home baking again (and I thought I was a good cook!) The huge bed was so soft and warm I had the best nights sleep I have had in ages and had to be dragged out of it to venture into breakfast but was very quickly glad I had been. Yes, there is no 'traditional full Scottish Breakfast' at the Three Chimneys, but you can see this very clearly on the menu which appears on the website. You will pay for a gastronomic experience and I promise you that is what you get. My own partner is a stickler for a full Scottish too and the very astute waitress did offer to bring eggs and bacon after he faltered over the hot breakfast menu.
No one made us feel uncomfortable or like any request was too much. I had my first taste of oysters and whole, mouthwatering Scottish langoustine after a full explanation (without having to ask) from the waiter on how to tackle shellfish - which IS quite daunting when you do it for the first time. I'd go as far as to say this is the very reason I haven't tried it before and I had decided, as I'm now at the life begins phase, it was time to go for it but yes, I was worried I'd look a fool not knowing where to start! I'm so glad I did this in a place where the staff were not phased by shellfish first timers. All of these little extra touches and staff who were so attentive they were almost psychic(!) made it feel like a true home from home. We couldn't have asked for more. If you are considering a visit to the hauntingly beautiful Island of Skye I urge you not to miss out on a visit to this truly outstanding place. Thank you so much to all the staff at the Three Chimneys

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Hello Heather.

Wow! Nothing else I can say. Thank you very, very much. SS

Reviewed November 22, 2010

We stayed here for 1 night when eating at the restaurant. Considering the remoteness of the restaurant it was super to have been able to avoid a long back to Dunvegan, or further.

Do not picture it as a hotel, but more as a very upmarket guest house. There about 6 rooms from memory, so it doesn't necessarily offer the "full service" approach that a typical large hotel might, but that is primarily due to the size and space available. But it is more than adequate, and wonderfully relaxing. Large, well-appointed rooms (more like junior suites), lovely breakfast room with a view (and telescope!).

I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2010
1  Thank Hawthorn08

Thank you very much for sending such a thoughtful and complimentary reveiw to TA. It is very much appreciated by all of here in Skye. SS

Reviewed November 14, 2010

We went to the Three Chimneys for our Silver Wedding Anniversary and stayed at the House Over By for 2 nights. We had a very warm welcome from Meg on reception. Our split level room with king size bed had a view over the sea loch and we were very impressed by the well thought out lay out of the 6 sided wedge shaped bathroom and the luxury toiletries. On the first night it was raining when we went to dinner but we were taken over to the restaurant by Ray who sheltered us under an umbrella. We had the three course menu which also included an 'amuse-bouche' and pre-dessert. Plenty of staff in the restaurant, all local we thought. They were appropriately attentive and perhaps ever so slightly smug, but they had every right to be as the food was imaginative, superbly presented and delicious.
On our second night, which was our anniversary, we had the 7 course (actually 9) 'Taste of Skye' menu, again presentation was beautiful and taste faultless. Unfortunately the wine we selected was not available, but a suitable (and cheaper) alternative was suggested. The portion sizes and the pace at which they are presented (at least from a 7pm start) mean you reach the end feeling comfortably full rather than bloated.
Breakfast was taken in a room in the House Over By overlooking the loch and as we ate we watched the light changing and the autumn colours and even a dolphin on the second morning. There was an attractive cold table of mostly local produce, a hot dish of the day and eggs any way you like. On our second morning one of our fellow diners was upset by the lack of full Scottish breakfast (sausage in particular). Another had brought his lap top to the table, so appeared not to appreciate the experience at all.
This is the perfect place to go for a special occasion or a treat. Some reviews we have seen have mentioned that the menu does not change every day. It is however a restaurant with rooms and not a hotel. The dining is the main event and to be savoured (but the rooms are jolly good too).

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AndyXB

I am so pleased that you chose to spend your Silver Wedding anniversary here in the Isle of Skye at our restaurant with rooms. We think it is a perfect place for special celebrations of this kind and delighted that you found it so special. Thank you for all of your lovely compliments and detailed observations. Please come back again for another stay! SS

Reviewed November 6, 2010

Three Chimneys and the House Over-By (the inn next door) were the highlight of our late October trip to Scotland. We were greeted by numerous staff members who helped us with luggage, made dinner reservations, served us snacks and wine and generally made us feel like very welcome guests. The rooms were impeccable, with great views of the loch and hills beyond. The front rooms are a mere 20 feet from the main road, but, hey, there is no traffic after 9pm in Colbost, so no disturbances. We stayed two nights, doing the tasting menu the first night (superb) and a la carte(also superb) the second. Service was first class, as was the sommelier and wine list. Be sure and ask him for wine recommendations as he knows what goes with the chef's many exotic creations. It is amazing that Three Chimneys does not have a Michelin Star yet, although the restaurant itself, with small rooms and constant wait staff traffic as a result may be a reason.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dla911

It is very kind of you to send this appreciateive message and we are all very pleased that you found your experience here a pleasant one. Michelin always tell us that our restaurant layout and style has nothing to do with their decision to give us a star. They insist that it is all to do with the food. We will never change our food to suit Michelin, so perhaps that is why they have never recognised our delicious ingredients and menu. Thank you for writing. SS