All reviews tasting menu split level scones oysters isle of skye venison local produce before dinner long drive loch dunvegan little touches breakfast room each evening remote location granola single track road porridge
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Was really looking forward to this and immediately went for the seven course tasting menu, only one course could be described as special, the rest were merely good. The wine pairings were poor and when you realise you are paying around seven pounds per 75ml glass or £70 a bottle then you be much better choosing something from the list. Didn't stay at the hotel but at a local B and B which was only £80. Sat next to the kitchen door which meant constant swinging sounds and noise from the kitchen, not a table I'd sit at again

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Steviem71
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were so excited to return to The Three Chimneys after a couple of years absence. The food and service are still among the best we've experienced, but a couple of things left us with a "huh?" feeling. First of all, everything on the menu is now very Scottish. As a Scot I appreciate local produce and support local suppliers, but it seemed over the top and aimed at overseas visitors rather than people who enjoy innovative food.
We stayed in the rooms over by. They are spacious, well equipped and very comfortable ... although the creaking floorboards on the way to the bathroom in our room was not appreciated in the middle of the night. After we had dinner we came back to the sitting area to have a nightcap ... and found several people waiting to go over to the restaurant for late dinners. What was a quiet sitting area had become a holding room to handle more diners who were staying elsewhere. I can understand the economics of it all, but it does detract from the overall experience.

2  Thank ValandDon
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed at the House Over By and ate in the restaurant during July 2013. The meal was really excellent - amongst the best in Scotland. Service was impeccable too. Unfortunately the House Over By didn't match the standards of the restaurant. Although the room was nice, we found the whole thing strangely impersonal - and at £600 for dinner, bed and breakfast for two I think you are entitled to expect at least some personal touches. A hand with your bags, maybe, or some banter from the hosts perhaps. Next time we'll eat at the restaurant but stay somewhere else.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank RCM1008
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Very pretty setting, large comfortable rooms with I have to say THE most comfortable bed I have ever slept in, it was even better then the beds I’ve had at Claridges and the Lanesborough.

Unfortunately while the bathroom was large, it was a little tired and a separate walk-in shower would have been preferable however the toiletries and warm fluffy towels and robes are lovely.

The most negative and most unfortunate comment must be that a bowl of muesli and a couple of apples do NOT constitute a early breakfast. Surely an 8am departure on a Saturday morning cannot be described as excessively early? What happens if guests want a hearty breakfast before a days walk or fishing on the loch? Especially at 300 quid a night!

Pre-dinner drinks are served in the breakfast room, while it has stunning views out over the loch, it really does feel like you are sitting in an old peoples home, sea green walls, pvc windows and nasty furniture don’t live up to the clear aspirations of the owner.

I’ve written a separate review of the restaurant and like that, I just find myself unable to recommend.

Such a pity.

6  Thank SaUsAgEs-are-TaStY
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This was our second time at Three Chimneys for an evening meal (4 yrs between visits) and I can safely say it has not deteriorated in any way. Indeed, I prefer that it was slightly less stuffy and pretentious this tie round - the staff were extremely friendly and attentive, something a kin to the service you might find at the Kitchin in Edinburgh.

The setting speaks for itself and the food was just wonderful - amazing monkfish, succulent goat and delicious almond and blackcurrant tart.

Well done to all involved and keep up the good work! Not sure what the snobbish bad reviews are on about - this is Scotland not Manhattan - chill out people and you might enjoy life more! Oh, and if visiting, why not try and be on time....

4  Thank roos1ter