All reviewstasting menusplit levelsconesoystersisle of skyevenisonlocal producebefore dinnerlong driveloch dunveganlittle touchesbreakfast roomeach eveningremote locationgranolasingle track roadporridge
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My companion and I ordered the "Seven Courses of Skye" tasting menu, and spent an amazing four hours at Three Chimneys. The highlight of the meal for me was the venison two ways, and the 30-year Pedro Ximenez sherry from Australia that I ordered to accompany my marmalade souffle. Their Monastrell was also mindblowingly good, and their sommelier very personable and informative when I "talked shop" about how the industry goes on Skye (regarding his buying habits and how distribution works there). The other staff was incredibly friendly as well -- there was no sense of "proprietary tables" amongst the servers, and many of them engaged us in conversation as well as checked in to make sure we were in good shape throughout the course of our meal.

Probably the most expensive meal I've ever paid for in my life. I don't regret it a whit. By the end of our epic supper, we had both lost the power of speech due to needing to focus on digesting the deliciousness.

Also worth having a pre-dinner cocktail while sitting in their lounge; beautiful view of the bay, with a conveniently placed telescope already focused in on some distant seals at play (I get the feeling they were probably frequent visitors to that spot).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Evelyn T
Shoreside, Owner at The Three Chimneys House Over-By, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear NonPerdeVentura,

You have written a fantastic review about your meal at The Three Chimneys. The details you include prove to me just how much you savoured every mouthful and this is so rewarding for the whole Team. Everyone works hard, long hours in this industry, but they work fo the love of it! To receive such great feedback means a huge amount to every Chef and Waiter. Thank you very much.

One day you might make the return journey all the way to Colbost and if you do, we hope it will be as memorable an experience as your first!

SS

Reviewed August 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon and didn't want to leave. Lovely rooms, friendly and attentive staff, stunning location, and of course fantastic food. We ate at the restaurant each night, the highlight being the seven course tasting menu in the kitchen. Highly recommended! We even got to take part in the preparation of a couple of the dishes - my wife turned out a delicious soufflé.

One of the things I love so much about the Three Chimneys is the staff - everybody is knowledgable, genuine, professional and, most importantly, down to earth. You get the feeling that for the staff at the Three Chimneys it isn't a job for them, but a vocation.

It was sad to leave but we are looking forward to when we return to beautiful Skye so we can return to the amazing Three Chimneys.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JimandLaurene
Shoreside, Owner at The Three Chimneys House Over-By, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

Dear JimandLaurene,

I am so leased to learn that you had such a delightful time staying with as part of your honeymoon in Scotland. Thank you for writing this lovely review and for all the special mentions and compliments about the staff, the food, the rooms and our location.

We like to think we are a perfect place for honeymooners. We obviously met your expectations anyway!

Perhaps you will come again on an anniversary celebration in the future? I hope so.

SS

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Prior to taking in the London Olympics this past weekend I spent two nights at The Three Chimneys on the impossibly beautiful Isle of Skye. As others have noted, it is indeed expensive but, in my view, worth it. The staff was outstanding. The room was 'nice' but not amazing. The view? Oh my, hard to think of a more picturesque location, except perhaps Positano on the Amalfi Coast! The restaurant? As someone who considers himself incredibly lucky to have eaten at some of the best restaurants in the world, I'd place this one right up there in my top ten EVER. Part of that is due to my preoccupation with fresh seafood. This place rocks: when I naively asked where dinner came from, I was told "about four hundred meters from here"! The hake, roasted in red wine with a local Skye scallop was insanely good. And, let's not forget how incredibly beautiful the drive is just to get there. On my second day the hotel packed up a nice lunch for me and I set out for a long 16 mile walk/run to the remote lighthouse at Neist. On Skye you get everything - and I can think of no better base than The Three Chimneys. Cheers

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Shoreside, Owner at The Three Chimneys House Over-By, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Dear Copenhagenboy,

I am extremely pleased to know that you chose The Three Chimneys for your pre-Olympic stay in Scotland. We are certainly a very long way from the crowds in London and are always able to offer a special place to get away from the crush and clamour of city life! Thank you also, for comparing us with other remarkable beauty spots in the World. This is a lovely compliment.

I am delighted that you found every other aspect of your stay with us special and deserving of your compliments. Coming from Denmark, you must be very conscious of how the high rate of VAT inflates our prices, but as we never shrink from using the best possible, fresh, local, Scottish ingredients in our cooking (I note your comments about loving seafood!) and go a long way to find the most talented young Scottish staff to cook and serve it, we know that our pricing policies are very fair indeed. Add to this a meticulous standard of housekeeping and great attention to detail and personal service from our accommodation staff, I believe we are operating at the top-end of the market and I am very proud that The Three Chimneys is recognised for doing so with its 5 Gold Stars as a Restaurant with Rooms.

I do hope you will return and recommend us to your friends. Please do!

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Not to give away all of the secrets, but the room, bed, setting, furnishings are all worth the visit. The floors creak a bit in some places, but not enough to give it a negative rating.

The room is just "comfortable". The platform setting of the bed is nice.

If you are thinking about it, go ahead..you won't be let down.

Breakfast is...generous. Some of the sweetest strawberries I've ever tasted.

Room Tip: They are all good! But if I had to pick, I'd ask for a room 1 - 4 as they are off of the road. Love the little "backdoors" each had.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear BayouWanderer,

This is so nice - sent from the heart and well-meant in every way. It is great for other people to read such a clear and simple message. Thank you very much for writing it. If you are able to visit Scotland again in the future, we do hope you will include us in your trip.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

My husband and I recently spent a night at the Three Chimneys for dinner, bed and breakfast. It is hailed in many guidebooks as one of the best 'restaurant with rooms' in the area and they are not wrong! We thoroughly enjoyed our short stay, the staff were extremely friendly and went out of their way to make us feel at home as soon as we arrived.
The room was light, bright and beautifully furnished, spotlessly clean with a very luxurious bathroom. The area surrounding the Three Chimneys is stunning.
This place is expensive, but really worth the treat. The staff are extremely hard working and will go above and beyond your expectations.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Westhill1983,

You have given us a glowing review in every category and this is hugely appreciated by everyone who works here. Thank you very much indeed. Please try and spend more time with us in the future and enjoy more of what we can offer, plus exploring the Isle of Skye in all seasons.