“3 Cheers for 3 chimneys!”
Review of The Three Chimneys

The Three Chimneys
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Colbost
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Three Chimneys Restaurant is one of Scotland's most iconic restaurants, set in a stunning location beside the sea in the north west corner of the Isle of Skye. Colbost is situated on the shores of Loch Dunvegan, a wide sea loch that opens into The Minch, the narrow stretch of sea between Skye and the Outer Hebrides. The views are stunning whatever the time of year. The Three Chimneys is famous for specialising in the freshest local produce including wonderful seafood from the immediate coastal waters. The restaurant is owned by husband and wife, Eddie and Shirley Spear. The couple bought the traditional stone-walled croft house in 1984 and developed the business into what it is today, with an amazing worldwide reputation. The Three Chimneys has won countless awards and accolades. Head Chef, Scott Davies and his Brigade of young chefs are passionate about preparing and cooking the finest local ingredients. Waitrose Good Food Guide UK Restaurant of the Year 2018.
Reviewed June 3, 2012

This was our 4th visit and the quality was again superb. The food was as always without fault, my main course of baked beetroot surpassed my expectation and the hot marmalade pudding was sublime! The welcome and the attentiveness of the waiting staff could not be faulted. Our dining experience was also enhance by the friendliness of the other diners. And the sun shone - we were blessed!!! - look forward to visit no. 5.

1  Thank laverbairnies
Shoreside, Owner at The Three Chimneys, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Thank you Laverbairnies. This is lovely. We all look forward to welcoming you back again.

SS

Write a ReviewReviews (2,111)

Reviewed June 2, 2012

You are truly treated as kings & queens throughout your dinner. The best dish I have ever had here is the baked Lanark Blue Cheesecake. Heaven!

Shoreside, Owner at The Three Chimneys, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Thank you Mismouse. I am pleased that you felt treated like a king and queen. Brilliant. thank you for your lovely message. SS

Reviewed June 1, 2012

After 32 years as airline captain, now retired, I thought I had stayed at the best places in the world.
May 26, 2012 I realized I was wrong.
Everything at your place has a soul, bringing peace to the mind.
Your contribution to our motto "live today- tomorrow may never come" is highly appreciated.
Benny and Lillian
Denmark

Dear assensbenny,

From one "Soul" to another true "Soul" - thank you from the bottom of my heart on behalf of my Team at The Three chimneys and The House Over-By. SS

Reviewed May 31, 2012

Had a perfectly delightful evening on Thursday, 26 May. Booked well in advance once our holiday plans became clear and we were not disappointed. After much preliminary discussion - before arriving, of course - my wife and I decided on the Seven Courses of Skye menu and were very, very pleased. The standouts for us were the items with the most impenetrable names: the Loch Bracadale crab flory and the revelatory Colbost skink with Marag and Talisker crumb, which we agreed was among the most remarkable dishes we have ever tasted. Additionally, the King Scallop with gingerbread crust was delicious and the saddle of venison may have been the single greatest meat dish I have ever eaten. Well done all the way around.

A brief word about the service: I have been astonished to read generalized complaints about youthful and inexperienced wait staff at The Three Chimneys and how it lessened the experience for some diners. I certainly can't speak for other individual's experiences but I must say that we both found the service to be charming, notably pleasant and absolutely free of the stuffiness or haughtiness that one sometimes associates with world renowned restaurants. Our primary waiter - I believe his name was Hamish (he's has a motorbike and his brother also works there) - was an integral part of the evening's success and we can not commend him enough for his friendliness and assistance. Kudos also to Grahame who helped us navigate the rocky shoals of post-dinner aperitifs.

Many thanks to all and to Rab of Dunvegan Private Cab for transporting us. There was no way I was having several glasses of wine and tackling those roads!

2  Thank aerodrome62

Dear aerodrome62,

What a delightful, detailed review. Thank you very much for posting this. Thanks too, for the special mention for Hamish and Graeme and of course, our local taxi driver, Rab. It all counts very much to receive praise and excellent feedback and is very much appreciated. Hamish is very young, but is fast making a name for himself here. He has a lot to learn (don't we all!) but his natural ability and easy engagement with our customers has left us quite amazed. He has fantastic work-ethic for one so young and is aiming high. Graeme is older and more experienced, of course, but a marvellous team leader in his managerial position, giving lots of back-up to younger members in training. I have great faith in him and other members of the whole team.

Thank you very much indeed for heaping encouragement upon these lovely young people who work incredibly hard, rather than picking fault in their work, as others seem to enjoy doing. We all have to begin our careers somewhere and Scotland has a huge mountain to climb in encouraging young people into our Hospitality Industry. I work hard to do this and it is fantastic to get some good results!

I do hope you will be able to return one day. Keep in touch with us!

Reviewed May 29, 2012

We onlyhad lunchhere and I can'tstop raving about it, it was notjust lunch it was an experience . The service was sensational, the food perfect and the setting amazing. We have visited Skye every year since we met this year we go married in May and honeymooned in and around Skye, it seemed only right we visit here.

It was a scorching hot dauy and we arrived to say we were sorry we would have to cancel as we did not want to leave our dogin the car as the temperature was over 25. The member ofstaff who spoke tomy husband said he would be able to set up the 1 table outside since it was our honeymoon and we could eat out.

Wha a wonderful gesture and it was very much appreciated as this was a part of our honeymoon we had been looking forward to. All the staff were amazingly attentive, they were informative about our choices and knowledgable about the wines.

The food was amazingand so delicious, with fresh local ingredients and scottish beers and ales and even cider, our meal was served perfectly a feast for our eyes as well as our stomachs.I can only say you must try here for yourselves

I am so glad we did and all credit to the chef and all staff it was a truly memorable afternoon

Dear Ifer,

This is a stunning review of your honeymoon lunchtime experience at The Three Chimneys Restaurant on the Isle of Skye. Thank you very much indeed for taking time to write it and also, for the special mentions you give to our staff who went out of their way to look after you and your family on a hot May day! We had such a magnificent spell of weather!

Receiving positive feedback is so encouraging and rewarding for the Team here. I know how hard they work, the hours they put in and the dedication with which they work at providing their best level of service at all times. Of course there are bound to be mistakes from time-to-time. We are human after all and dealing with the vast assortment and age-range of customers in any one day, from any part of the world, does not make it easy to be perfect every time. But your comments are wonderful to receive.

We are all delighted that your visit to the restaurant was such a memorable one and hope that you will return - perhaps for a future anniversaty celelbration? I hope so.