Dunollie Hotel(Broadford)
  • Free Internet
$143
$529
$515
Kyle Hotel(Kyle of Lochalsh)
$138
$295
$288
Balmacara Hotel(Balmacara)
$234
All reviewsunderfloor heatingfloor to ceiling windowsfreshly baked muffinsisle of skyemodern propertyhaddockguest roomsstunning viewson arrivalthe perfect hostevery morningguest housewe've stayedliving roomcomfy bedstayed longerplaces to visit
Reviewed May 22, 2010

We spent two nights here and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. From the coffee & cake welcoming arrival to the great breakfast with fresh muffins to take on our daily excursions, nothing was too much trouble. Our room had a great view and our host was quick with tips on things to see and places to eat on Isle of Skye. The only negative was the creaking of the floor above us which may worry some people if you like to sleep in while others are getting breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2010

I will keep this brief, as it is clear from the rating and other reviews that this B&B is first class....

1 - The guest lounge is awesome and should not be overlooked, especially as the weather can be a bit dodgy on Skye (although the weather was superb for us).  There are two very comfy sofas, a roaring fire, lots of books / magazines. However, the key is the view, its such a great place to sit and relax. There is also a music system and a high speed internet connection if you wish to surf the web etc on your laptop.

2 - The style is very modern, fantastic proper timber floors (which can mean a bit of endearing creeking is heard as people walk around - awesome) with extremely comfortable beds and large roomy bathrooms. The Showers overlooking the view are superb.

3 - Breakfast is first class - very fresh "Skye" Salmon, lots of fruits / yoghurt and freshly cooked full breakfasts, with the option of Smoked Haddock and Kippers. A bit we particularly liked was the fact that Neil (the owner) adds to the ambience being dressed in a proper Chefs set of trousers and jacket - demonstrates real professionalism.

4 - Just a short drive away is the Kinloch Lodge, where the restaurant recently earned a Michelin Star. The food is fantastic, the standard is truly exceptional, and better than other One-Star establishments which we have eaten at.

We will be returning (and enquired about availability to do so when we were there) to enjoy everything that this place has to offer.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2010

I did some pretty thorough B&B research for our visit to Scotland and Isle of Skye (wanting to avoid fuddy duddy floral print everything with doily B&Bs) and was not disappointed with Tigh an Dochais. Modern building with beautiful light and features. Very Scandinavian - and no carpet in sight which was a relief. Room on the ground floor was lovely with wooden floorboards, comfy bed and spacious bathroom and nice touches like little chocolates in the room. There was a deck and we could step right outside to further take in the lovely views.

For dinner we asked Neil to recommended some local places to eat and ended up at a restaurant called Creelers. Service was spot on and food amazingly fresh and tasty. The big surprise though came the next morning when we turned up for breakfast. Amazing! Freshly baked muffins, smoothies on order, yoghurt, fresh berries, smoked salmon... The quality was outstanding, best we've ever had and we still talk about it.

I do agree though with a previous review that said the host was a tad overbearing on the info on arrival. But then I heard him be very relaxed with some older guests. Maybe he was making sure we understood that it was not ok to party and wreck the house. But we're not that young...maybe it's an Aussie thing :)

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2009

My partner and I are just back from a 2 night stay here and we didn't want to leave! It's the best B&B either of us have ever been to and we'll definately be going back next year.

Neil is a great host, he's very helpful and has lots of ideas for things to do. He's also a great cook and the breakfasts are amazing, we didn't need lunch as they filled us up so much and we got to take away some of his freshly cooked fruit muffins in a bag!!

The attention to detail is amazing and I would definately say it's a 5*. Underfloor heating in the bedroom and bathroom, a jar of chocolates in the bedroom, floor to ceiling windows with a fantastic view. What more could you want ;-)

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2009

This is a fantastic place. Arrived to be met by Neil who showed me to my room downstairs. More a little suite with huge bathroom, and fantastic views out to the sea through the floor-to-ceiling windows. Indeed the house is designed as such that all the guest bedrooms look out onto Broadford Bay. I was served coffee and house baked cake in the large guest lounge after I’d settled in. The house has broadband access, and I was provided with an Ethernet cable to connect using the sockets in the lounge and bedroom.

Neil is a very good host, and is keen to make sure you're comfortable. This is a modern house (built in 2005) and clearly designed for a B&B business. The décor is therefore in fitting with the architecture, but by no means is it soulless as some other reviewers have said. Indeed the building makes the most of the stunning scenery outside. It was a refreshing change from the chintz and knick-knacks encountered in other B&Bs. My only gripe is there was no bath with my room – this would be the perfect space to lounge around in a large bathtub. However, I think I was in the one room that catered for disabled guests, so had a large walk in shower was there instead, so understandable.

As with a stay anywhere it’s the little details that matter. Here it was the choice of teas for the rooms, the sweetie jar, ground coffee not Gold Blend sachets, fresh milk for the guest rooms. Why can’t every B&B be like this? Neil will even do a cooked dinner if booked in advance. Didn’t quite realise this, but would take advantage on a return visit.

But I would expect good things, on the basis of breakfast. This was very good, with a wide selection of food and fresh fruit available, including freshly baked muffins. The smoked salmon was beautiful – just melted in the mouth. He has sausages specially made for him, which are delicious.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo