“Absolutely ideal!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ardvasar
Morar Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 8 Ardvasar B&B and Inns
Wooler
“Absolutely ideal!”
Reviewed August 17, 2010

The weather for my solo weekend on Skye was perfection, so when I arrived at Morar, I sat on the terrace and watched the world go by, perfectly at ease and in the most astounding location. Maggie and Chris were all you could ask for in hosts - friendly and accommodating, but totally inobtrusive. Perfect! Also, the facilities were immaculate - clean, contemporary but also individual and comfy. I was offered and treated to some of Maggie's delicious soup and home-made bread for supper, then travelled the few miles to the Aird of Sleat for some dusky photo opportunities. Even the midgies were kind. Breakfast was a treat and, as I was up earlyish for the Armadale ferry (2 minutes in the car), had Maggie to chat to as she effortlessly cooked in front of me.

I really cannot recommend this fantastic B&B highly enough. I never needed to use the swimming pool as the weather was so beautiful, but can only assume it was as meticulously maintained as the rest of the house. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2010

We had a lovely stay at Morar B&B - Chris and Maggie were wonderful hosts that made us feel welcome and entirely at home. The house is a short walk (approximately 10 minutes) from Armadale Pier in the tiny (ie don't expect shopping and eateries) village of Ardvasar. The scenery from Morar house is stunning and the back of the property runs right to the rocky waterline. Borrowing the resident dogs, Mabel and Holly, made for a fun walk along the shore.

The rooms are comfortable and well furnished. There are a variety of sizes to suit different travellers - my partner and I stayed in the double room one night and a twin the next, due to availability, but both were very nice. The heated swimming pool is an absolute luxury and if you're tired of the rain, you can use the weather as an excuse to spend a relaxing evening swimming or reading a book while enjoying the lovely Skye landscape from the nearest window.

The nearest pub / restaurant is the Ardvasar Hotel, which has Isle of Skye ales on draught. We didn't try the entrees, but the pub food was ok. On the other side of the pier, approximately a 20-minute walk from Morar, is the Clan Donald estate, which offers a ruined castle, beautifully landscaped grounds, a cafe (which currently serves very good evening meals Monday-Wednesday), and a great museum / interpretive centre with a small research library. If you're interested in Hebridean history or have a family connection, this is the place to go. Even if you're not a history enthusiast, rambling throughout the grounds is worthwhile.

We travelled from Glasgow entirely by public transport with no difficulties, though if you have a car presumably you can range more widely. The southern part of the island is less touristy than the area around Portree, which we appreciated.

We've just returned and are already looking forward to our next visit to Sleat! I can't recommend this b&b highly enough!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We stayed at Morar last week along with two friends just for one night. We were made that welcome, it was like coming into one of one of our relations homes. The breakfast was to die for.with eggs just collected from under the hens in the croft outside. But that was after we had been for a swim in the superb indoor pool. Even the dog made us welcome when we went out onto the decking at the front of the house to take in the magnificent veiw.I would not hesitate to recommend this to any one.We did not arrive home untill yesterday but my wife rang up to ask the lady of the house if she would mind if she would go down to the village to purchase an item that she had seen in a shop. The lady readily replied that she would purchase it for us and post it on to us. That is what you call service. Excellent .Excellent .Excellent.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eileen072
Surrey, England
Reviewed June 19, 2010

1. Pleasant, friendly and helpful owners
2. Clean, comfortable and spacious rooms
3. Small cove at the rear of the house
4. We would most certainly go back

Make sure you visit the Skye Serpentarium in Broadford - it's a rescue centre for small reptiles, well worth the trip.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Rome, Italy
Reviewed June 6, 2010

Probably one of the most comfortable stays ever experienced. Clean, modern rooms with all the comforts (bathroom , shower, tv with dvd in every room). Great hospitality and entertainment (warmed indoor swimming pool!). Lovely terrace with wonderful view on the coast.
Thank you Maggie and Chris for making us feel at home. We'll come back!
The italian girls

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Edinburgh
Reviewed May 7, 2010

I was in Ardvasar/Armadale for a wedding and stayed here for two nights. I have to say we both thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and Maggie and Chris are extremely friendly and welcoming. The rooms and en-suite were lovely and clean, there was plenty of fresh towels and the shower was fantastic. The breakfast was magnificant - particularly the black pudding (our favourite), freshly laid eggs, home made bread, marmalade and musli. It was so good our friends came to join us the next day. I didn't use the swimming pool but I probably would next time as it looked fantastic. It was a very welcoming B&B that I would recommend to anyone. I also really liked that you could pay by card as there are little ATM's around Skye. Fantastic value for money with great service

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Garden Valley, Idaho
Reviewed April 7, 2010

This gem sits off the tiny “main road” in Ardvasar, very close to the ferry from Malaig and around the corner from the Ardvasar pub and small grocery store, for convenient meals or necessities.
It encompasses all that is Skye: Warm hospitality, views of hills and water and heather, rocks to climb over and beaches to play on.
Although it would be a shame to miss any of this, it would be no hardship to have to stay within. The rooms are meticulously furnished and clean, with Maggie’s quilts, fluffy, fresh towels, nice toiletries, comfortable beds and pillows, plenty of videos to entertain all ages and tastes, and a heated indoor pool with a jet, for lap-swimming...and there is the luxury of a shower in the pool room, if you don’t feel like traipsing through the house to your room with wet towels and suits (which will be happily supplied if you forgot yours).
In case you miss Fido or Kitty, there are friendly critters to cure your homesickness. Maggie and Chris might just let you feed the chickens or dig in the garden, if you came to Skye to fulfill your “crofting” instincts.
Breakfast here offers the guest a more creative choice than most, and remember, happy chickens supply great eggs! As a vegetarian, I was content with Maggie’s muesli, homemade toast and the lone fresh egg that Chris always wanted to double. You’ll also want to try their friend Lindy’s hard-to-beat marmalade, made from grapefruit, lemons and oranges. I was disappointed that the breakfast menu didn’t include fresh (or any) fruit, but you could ask (I didn’t).
I took advantage of my hosts’ generously provided WIFI, and made a nuisance of myself each evening, at the hall desk (a good spot for reception). They acted as though it gave them joy to see me diligently at work.
You’ll probably see more of Chris, who prepares breakfast and gives great advice on activities, walks and places (with a bonus of correct pronunciation, so you’ll sound like a native).
My only misgiving was that I felt a lack of concern for my room service, but that could be excusable, considering the respect they have for your privacy—and the fact that I am quite tidy and don’t require much looking after.
For a modern room, comfort and cleanliness, freedom to use the place as your own and roam where you will, nothing beats this B&B. There is plenty of literature and information for your stay on Skye. The walks right out the door must be enjoyed.
I spent four busy days in this area of the island and it was always reassuring that I had my lovely room to snuggle into, when the cold, early spring day was done...though, it was just as reassuring to know guests are welcome to stay in for the day, as they wish. This is a special feeling and the sense of acceptance I got in Chris and Maggie’s home makes it the B&B to check into.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ardvasar
Hotel Eilean Iarmain
West Highland Hotel
West Highland Hotel
#1 of 3 in Mallaig
Duisdale House Hotel

Been to Morar Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!