“Great Place!”
Review of Sonas House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tobermory
Sonas House
Ranked #16 of 27 Tobermory B&B and Inns
Forres, United Kingdom
“Great Place!”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed for a weekend in June. Our Red Poppy room was spacious and comfortable. The view from the B&B was amazing & the sunny weather a bonus. The hospitality of this family run business was beyond expectations. Thanks to Laura for arranging a visit from PC Plum, now that was an interesting evening!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I walked into my "wing" of the building on the first night and got placed in the spacious red poppy room. First impressions were great decor, nice big bed, lovely home made short-bread and ooh! What's this? A double measure of the local 10 year old Tobermory! I don't mind if I do!

WIN! WIN! WIN! WIN!

The next morning I was served up a mammoth breakfast which had everything except mammoth in it. I tried my best but couldn't finish it.

The next day I streamlined my order and still couldn't finish it!

On the third day I varied my order but alas I still couldn't finish it...

This is my last night and I've gone slightly avante garde and asked for a Stornoway black pudding and bacon sandwich. I should be able to manage that...

If you've never had Stornoway black pudding in your breakfast then I suggest you try it soon and I suggest you try it here.

The landlady and her parents are very approachable and all three probably make it into my list of the top ten nicest people I have ever met.

This opinion was cemented when I returned from my evening dinner to find a can of chilled lager left by my door. I walked from my "wing" (through the swimming pool room) to their living room to say thanks and was then introduced to their good friends before they poured me a (LARGE) dram and we had banterous chat until we could take no more.

A home from home (with a swimming pool and sound folk).

Highly recommended.

I've never, ever, felt like sending a thank you card to a B+B but I think I'll make an exception in this case.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank wolfbhoy
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in oct,weather was just as good as the room,very clean and plenty of space,pool was just the ticket after some hill walking.
breakfast was spot on and Laura was most helpful.
will never stay anywhere else on mull again!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
East Bridgewater, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We spent 5 glorious nights at Sonas House and believe it would now be impossible to stay anywhere else on Mull. The location is grand - quiet with spectacular views. You feel removed from downtown, but are within walking distance. Bedrooms are spacious by B&B standards and everything was so clean it all appeared new. Breakfast was fantastic - fresh produce with delicious homemade items. Laura was friendly and helpful in every aspect of our trip. Every note was pitch perfect with this gracious hostess. -MacLeans

Room Tip: We stayed in the house - can't go wrong with either bedroom.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Cheshire England
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Spent 8 nights here back in June, stayed in the 'Red Poppy' room. It was very clean, spacious & comfortable. With its own private patio overlooking the Sound of Mull - beautiful. We were made to feel very welcome by Joanie, Laura & John, on departure we felt as though we were leaving very good friends. The breakfasts were delicious & varied, the home made jam yummy! The breakfast area was a little small, but adequate. A real bonus was the pool which we often had to ourselves. The main part of Tobermory is about 10 minutes walk downhill, with a small selection of mainly tourist shops. Some good restaurants, of which our favourite was Cafe Fish. From the harbour there are plenty of boat trips, & lots of walking opportunities with plenty of wildlife & fabulous scenery. Hope to visit again (Sorry for late review!).

Room Tip: Both the Red & Blue Poppy room perfect.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Cheshire
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed here in early September for two nights. Sonas House is without doubt a lovely B&B, very quiet location, spectacular views, comfortable room and lovely breakfast. However, we did have problems with the WiFi and whilst Laura tried to help us gain access, it wasn't ideal for keeping in touch with our business (this was the only time we experienced any problems throughout our 2 week road trip). We did use the pool which was very nice. Overall we had a good experience, but I do think this B&B is a little overpriced. We ate at Mishdish and Cafe Fish and both were excellent.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

We had wanted to book one of the rooms that are actually part of the main house but they were booked so we were offered the 'studio suite' as if it were a realistic alternative. It isn't. The standard of fittings and quality of facilities is very good but it is made clear that you are not expected to eat in what passes for the 'breakfast room' . We were offered continental breakfast delivered to room which was very much second best. That said we did manage 2 mornings in the breakfast room which is probably the weakest area of the experience as it is a bit like eating in a corridor and looks like an afterthought rather than something planned for the comfort of guests - the food was fine though. The swimming pool, which is great, is directly overlooked by the breakfast corridor and the staff bringing the breakfast actually walk alongside the pool with food and drinks - and I mean right alongside the pool. This makes a morning swim a little 'public'. All that said it is certainly worth a good rating and a visit - but do get one of the rooms in the house.

• Stayed August 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tobermory
Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa
#1 of 10 in Dervaig
Glengorm Castle
Glengorm Castle
#4 of 27 in Tobermory

Been to Sonas House? Share your experiences!