“Do not miss a stay here!”

Western Isles Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Tobermory
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Fabulous! We stayed here for a four night stay on a recent coach holiday and we will definitely return! The room we had was very large and had magnificent views over the Sound of Mull. The beds were extremely comfortable with good bed linen and wonderfully comfortable pillows (rare in most places we have stayed). The standard of cleaning was high in all areas of the hotel, lovely biscuits daily and fresh milk was always available. The staff were all friendly and nothing was too much trouble, Claire,thank you for letting me in the room when mother had gone off leaving me the front door key (not the room key). This lady always had a wonderful smile no matter what.We were there on a day when gales were blowing and the rain pounding and the staff ensured that everyone had everything they required and had a good day! The food was excellent and beautifully served. It was lovely to have open fires in the communal areas. A truly peaceful place in a wonderful setting - not to be missed!

Room Tip: Choose a room that has a name rather than a number
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank David H
RichardNealon, Owner at Western Isles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Dear David H

Thank you so much for leaving such an effusive review. It really is much appreciated by all the staff.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

spent some time at this hotel,though slightly dated in appearance it has a warmth and charm missing from most hotels now. The welcome is genuinely warm and staff are cheerful and helpful all of the time,they go that extra mile to help.Food is excellent,good choice and well prepared and presented.
Those are some of the numerous assets of this hotel the only downside for us was the ensuite bathroom which desperately needs updating.We did complain when we were there of a strange smell in the bathroom which was attended to as soon as possible.
Would I recommend this hotel I would say on the whole yes due to the many assets but warn do not go expecting luxury fittings.

Room Tip: Try a room with harbour or sea view you will not be disappointed
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear subil

Thank your for taking the time and trouble to leave a review. We have updated many of the bathrooms but we've had to prioritise the ones with greatest need, so please accept my apologies that you had one that is on the cusp of being redone. Anyway, its good to know that it didn't significantly diminish the enjoyment of your stay.

We hope to welcome you back soon

Reviewed September 24, 2013

My wife and I visited the Western Isles Hotel for dinner one evening recently and really enjoyed our evening.
The whole conservatory area has been refurbished since our last visit and this has really improved the ambience of the whole room. There is a much cosier feel to the room, with curtains now framing the windows, the bar has been reduced in size and additional table(s) added. liked the end result!
Anyway, with a window table and the beautiful harbour and bay laid out beneath us, we enjoyed a really nice dinner. It was well presented and served, the food was piping hot and very tasty and the staff were very pleasant, friendly and attentive throughout the evening.
There was also the added attraction of a Gaelic choir singing in the adjoining function room!
We will certainly visit the Western Isles again in the future and would recommend it to anyone for a very pleasant dinner!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Tankerman Scotland

Thank you for your lovely review, we're really pleased you loved the relatively new décor in the conservatory. And well spotted for noticing that the bar has reduced by a good metre and a half. It was a relatively small change to make, but has had a disproportionate impact on the room as the bar no longer overwhelms the space.

I do hope you get chance to return soon

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Have just booked a 4 night December stray here, our 3rd visit. Excellent dining, great for foodies. Open fires and great views. A good place to walk empty beaches or just sit and watch the weather changing. Defiantly recommend it.

Room Tip: Worth paying the small amount extra for a harbour or sea view room
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear VBrandon

A terrific review, for which we are very grateful. I hope your bees have had a good season - ours strengthened enormously but we wont get any honey this year. Hopefully next! Look forward to seeing you both again in December

Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

Had a fabulous meal in the Western Isles .. Fish and Chips was honestly one of the best I've had anywhere! Portions were excellent, service was amazing, price is always reasonable. Been going to the Western for meals for a few years and the past few months it has really stepped up its game. Would strongly recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Emma D

Thank you so much for posting your great review. Its very gratifying that you dine with us regularly and feel we are improving. Everyone has worked very hard this summer and to know we're heading the right direction is great to hear. Thank you

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Small family run hotel on the isle of Mull Clean, friendly run hotel with very good variety of food Open fireplaces makes for comfortable stay when wet and cold Short walk to sea front but with a slight incline going back to hotel Hotel on hillside with wonderfull view over harbour and sea. A three storey building but with one setback for less abled there is no lift.However well worth that inconvenience.

Room Tip: All good but one side and end rooms have sea view
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michael C
RichardNealon, Owner at Western Isles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Michael C

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to write such a good review. You're obviously pretty fit and I'm not sure everyone would agree that its only a 'slight incline' from the harbour to the hotel. I think most folk would describe it as 5 minutes to go down and 10 to come back! The best thing about the hill is that it means we have spectacular views which you really enjoyed.

We do hope you get chance to return

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Great views and a downhill walk into the town.The building is old and and needs lots of attention.Reception staff were friendly and helpful,letting me leave my luggage as we had arrived early..Our room was on the back of the hotel with a tiny window.It was large and adequate. Toiletries were Aran Aromatics which I love. However the beds were most uncomfortable and we both spent a disturbed night.
We ate in the restaurant and I would recommend more training for the staff.The food was tasty but portions were small. When I commented that my main course of hot salmon and vegetables served on a bed of lettuce didn't work for me ,we were ignored and not asked is we wanted dessert or coffee.The best thing about the restaurant is the views!
However,breakfast was very good.Overall I don't think it represented value for money.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
RichardNealon, Owner at Western Isles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Dear Susan-Ash

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to leave your review. We've just replaced the mattresses in 3 inland view rooms, and I've tried unsuccessfully to work out which room you stayed in. Perhaps you could call me or email me at the hotel - details are on our website (I don't think I'm able to leave them here).

I'm sorry the staff didn't respond professionally to your comments, and this is something I'll follow up. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

I'm pleased you enjoyed breakfast and your stay overall.

Best regards
Richard

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tobermory
Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa
#2 of 2 in Acharacle
Park Lodge Hotel
Park Lodge Hotel
#7 of 27 in Tobermory

Been to Western Isles Hotel? Share your experiences!