The hotel is said to be undergoing refurbishment but we saw no evidence of this. There was no welcome at the hotel on arrival. We had 2 different rooms on the 2nd floor for our 2 night stay, both of which were dilapidated and in need of repair and redecoration. Every floorboard in the rooms creaked. The bed in the 1st room creaked and was so old you could feel the springs which lead to a poor night's sleep. Both rooms were not at all clean - unswept carpets, dusty, mould in the bathroom etc. There was carpet in the bathroom which is very unhygienic. This and other carpets were very old and threadbare in places. For the charge of £110 for the first night and £145 for the second for 2 people including breakfast, we would have expected a higher standard of room and considered this to be vastly overpriced and poor value for money. Our relaxing evening in the lounge was spoilt by a meeting of a group of bird watchers who took over the lounge area. The breakfast was average and served by non local staff who struggled to communicate.
On checking out, I noticed an amount for bar drinks which had actually already been paid for. I challenged this with the receptionist who said that it must be a mistake, took the charge off the bill but did not apologise. PLEASE BE AWARE there is at least one other review with a similar complaint. I also commented to the receptionist about the poor standard of rooms and the overpricing who said that my comments would be passed on.
Recommendations to the hotel owners - the 4 things that a guest needs from a hotel are
1) A welcoming and friendly atmosphere
2) A comfortable and clean room
3) Good food
4) Good value for money.
Unfortunately the hotel failed to deliver on all four points and I would not recommend this hotel and will never stay again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy stunning views over Tobermory Harbour or across the bay and out to the Sound of Mull. If excellent food, friendly service and a great atmosphere are what you're looking for, then the Western Isles is for you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Western Isles Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Western Isles Hotel Tobermory, Scotland