“good basic home cooking”

MacDonald Arms Hotel
Ranked #14 of 24 Restaurants in Tobermory
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“good basic home cooking”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

chips were REAL. atmosphere unpretentious. All of our food was tasty and VERY good value. Service was very good.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Brigidmc M

“Made to feel welcome”
Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

visited Tobermory on a very wet November day with my wife and two border terriers. We were all soaked and freezing and had been refused entry at 2 or 3 other eating places. We tried MacDonald arms and were made to feel very welcome by staff and locals. The food is home made and delicious and if you are looking to be made welcome then this is the place to go.

1 Thank eckjock
North Warwickshire, England
“Expectations perhaps too high”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I'm possibly being unfair with this review as our impression was completely at odds with some of the previous reviews. Looking back at my photos of Tobermory it appears that the MacDonald Arms has both a Public Bar (on the left) and a Lounge Bar. The Public Bar was closed throughout our four-night stay in Tobermory. Therefore this review is based on the Lounge Bar only.

We called in on our first night Tobermory, having planned to eat. On entering it looked nothing like I was expecting at all. Very little atmosphere, quite brightly lit and generally uninviting. We had one quick drink and left to find somewhere else to eat.

I should perhaps point out that we did hear that all the meals (ranging from £4 to £8) are home-cooked and quite reasonable in quality. The drinks were also cheap in comparison to other bars in Tobermory.

It just wasn't our cup of tea. We did pass by on other evenings and, although there was quite a crowd in one night, it still looked a bit depressing.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank BuzzardFlight
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“No frills good home cooking and lovely local staff :)”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

On my landlady's recommendation to get a good meal on a budget I went to the MacDonald Arms today and really enjoyed my meal and overall experience. I was on a business trip and had an expenses limit of £13 to spend and was assured that they had some lovely home cooked comfort food.

I wasn't over-enamoured with my first impressions of the place. It seemed like I'd walked into an old man's pub but the longer I sat, listened to the chat between travellers and locals, absorbed the atmosphere and took in the fantastic display of whiskies to be had I decided that I would be back the next day!

I ordered the scampi and chips within a minute of waling in the bar and immediately started to regret my decision as I studied the menu further to find lamb-chop casseroles, baked brie + beetroot cakes, venison chilli and beef, beer + veg stews.

My regret was short lived because when my scampi and chips arrived on a platter it was piled high with scampi (probably about 25 pieces) and the chips were nice home made chunky efforts.

I will be back tomorrow for the friendly staff and locals, some of their wholesome home cooking and I think I'll leave the car so I can get stuck into that fantastic selection of whiskies!

If you're wanting finesse and candlelight this isn't the place for you but if you'd like to be well fed and watered and have a bit of craic with the locals then give it a shot.

(I wouldn't expect to

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank wolfbhoy
Windsor
“No other option”
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

There was literally no other option for lunch on the Tuesday we visited. Nearly everything was made from the freezer or out of a supermarket container. Risotto was more creamy rice. Fish cakes got a big thumbs up. Prawns were fresh. Chips were tasty. Good selection of drinks. Clean. Good value. It was clear locals didn't really appreciate our children or dog.