“Must stay here”

The Glenforsa Hotel Mull
Ranked #2 of 9 Salen B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel and reasonable prices...the food is very tasty and the owners made us feel so welcome. The rooms are lovely decor, and the bed was comfy. I would not fault this hotel one bit. Will defo be back.
Carol From Alba Forklift Training Ltd

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed August 24, 2013

I flew up to Glenforsa from England with a friend and we spent 3 nights at the Hotel. Landing at the Glenforsa airstrip is, in itself, a magical experience and it is wonderful to climb out of the aircraft, after a long flight and walk the few yards into the hotel.

Alison and Brendan are so welcoming, helpful and friendly and, as both are experienced pilots, they are a rich source of local knowledge about flying around Scotland.

The whole hotel has a comfortable, informal ambience to it and it is easy to feel "at home" there, especially in the bar!

The food is a delight, with a decent range of bar meals and a good menu selection in the dining room. Everything mouthful was a pleasure, from starters right through to puddings and all freshly prepared. On two nights we had fresh fish, (skate wings and mackerel), caught earlier the same day by Brendan and beautifully cooked by Drew, the chef.

Thanks to Alison, Brendan and the staff for making our stay so memorable.

It was my second stay at the hotel and I hope to be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Had read mixed reviews about the hotel but a late deal made us to decide to take a chance and I'm very happy I did. Eating fantastic dinners and breakfasts with the most gorgeous view ever was great. Food all freshly cooked and beautifully presented and just perfect. The young chef makes the most of fresh local produce, the langoustine were to die for. Would happily recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The Glenforsa is an interesting place. It's situated next to a grass airstrip overlooking the sea. The building is made of logs imported from Norway. The guest rooms are small and Spartan. The bathroom, in particular, is cramped. But there's a nice common lounge with a sea view and a bar and restaurant. The food in the restaurant is quite good.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bloktwriter
Glenforsa, Owner at The Glenforsa Hotel Mull, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review The Glenforsa Hotel, I have to agree the room that you stayed in had a rather compact bathroom, especially for a well built chap like yourself.
The majority of our rooms however have more spacious bathrooms with a bath and a shower, rather than just a walk in shower cubicle.
We let our rooms on a first come first served basis, but when you book your stay if you request a room with a larger bathroom we will be happy to oblige if one is available.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

The hotel has very good Norwegian-style lodges and welcomes families. The restaurant is excellent. The food is really first-class.The owners and the staff are very friendly and helpful. I'd like to return there on an aircraft, if I could!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Three of us dined in this hotel on a Saturday evening. Overall the experience was woeful: we were informed the food was cooked from scratch therefore the chicken would be twenty minutes, which is fair enough.

45 minutes later we were still waiting and had not received any updates, or nibbles to keep us going. We were then 'ushered' (with a wave of a hand and no verbal communication) through to the restaurant, where the dog was kicked out of the way and a half-hearted 'the stove was full' was muttered by way of apology without actually saying sorry. Unfortunately we waited a further 25 minutes for any food to arrive, and requests for olives or such-like were dismissed with a 'yes they're coming' however none came.

When we finally received our food, it was over-cooked and the waitress was a little grumpy. Towards the end of the meal the hostess asked how it was and we made it clear that we were not happy. She blamed the chef and all of the cheques coming in at once (although restaurant was probably 1/3rd full). To her credit, she did later come over and offer desserts on the house which we gratefully accepted.

When the bill was received the hostess then asked us to come and see her in reception when we had settled up, presumably to apologise. We followed her towards reception around 30 seconds later and she was nowhere to be seen.

Overall, very very poor. Isle of Mull hotel in Craignure was a far better experience the next evening and I cannot recommend highly enough.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank stewartkev
Glenforsa, Owner at The Glenforsa Hotel Mull, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review.
We were asked to fit you in on a Sataurday night as you were unable to to get a table in a another restaurant nearby (you had not booked) Your party arrived as were taking orders for 26 bar meals.You would of been aware of this as you were having a drink in the bar. We prepare and cook all of our meals to order and we make sure that our customers are aware of this.
We do not serve olives as they are not included in the fresh local and home grown produce that our menu is prepared from, perhaps you are confusing us with the Italian restaurant you tried first? you were however given freshly baked bread rolls. Allison did apologise for the delay and noted that you had eaten all of your main courses. When you came to reception Allison had been called to serve at the bar which is not unusual on a busy Saturday night in August.
We do not kick our dog (Stella).

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I think the bad reviews I've read have been incredulous and completely laughable. I'm sure the owner must be respectfully holding back as I know he has been to and stayed in New York. He has been more than gracious in his responses to some of libelous accusations made here. That said, my family and I had a wonderful time. Food was great, piping hot (watch the steak pie!), and plentiful: all locally grown, caught, hatched. Brendan and Allison are amiable and accommodating hosts. The staff is just as nice. The hotel is justifiably and beautifully rustic and reminds me of my stays in Wisconsin -which were at more premium prices I might add. Having stayed at five star city hotels, I just really find this place much more enjoyable. The hound in the front lobby was a definite plus! It's close enough to Craignure to get to the first am ferry without rushing. The staff would have had a hot breakfast early, but we did not want to trouble them. I highly recommend this hotel. My only wish was that we would have had more time to enjoy this gem of an island.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salen
8 mi away
#3 of 27 in Tobermory
Craignure Inn
Craignure Inn
#1 of 4 in Craignure

Been to The Glenforsa Hotel Mull? Share your experiences!