“Good Basic Lodging”

The Glenforsa Hotel Mull
Ranked #2 of 9 Salen B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The Glenforsa is an interesting place. It's situated next to a grass airstrip overlooking the sea. The building is made of logs imported from Norway. The guest rooms are small and Spartan. The bathroom, in particular, is cramped. But there's a nice common lounge with a sea view and a bar and restaurant. The food in the restaurant is quite good.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bloktwriter
Glenforsa, Owner at The Glenforsa Hotel Mull, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review The Glenforsa Hotel, I have to agree the room that you stayed in had a rather compact bathroom, especially for a well built chap like yourself.
The majority of our rooms however have more spacious bathrooms with a bath and a shower, rather than just a walk in shower cubicle.
We let our rooms on a first come first served basis, but when you book your stay if you request a room with a larger bathroom we will be happy to oblige if one is available.

There are newer reviews for The Glenforsa Hotel Mull

Reviewed August 13, 2013

The hotel has very good Norwegian-style lodges and welcomes families. The restaurant is excellent. The food is really first-class.The owners and the staff are very friendly and helpful. I'd like to return there on an aircraft, if I could!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Three of us dined in this hotel on a Saturday evening. Overall the experience was woeful: we were informed the food was cooked from scratch therefore the chicken would be twenty minutes, which is fair enough.

45 minutes later we were still waiting and had not received any updates, or nibbles to keep us going. We were then 'ushered' (with a wave of a hand and no verbal communication) through to the restaurant, where the dog was kicked out of the way and a half-hearted 'the stove was full' was muttered by way of apology without actually saying sorry. Unfortunately we waited a further 25 minutes for any food to arrive, and requests for olives or such-like were dismissed with a 'yes they're coming' however none came.

When we finally received our food, it was over-cooked and the waitress was a little grumpy. Towards the end of the meal the hostess asked how it was and we made it clear that we were not happy. She blamed the chef and all of the cheques coming in at once (although restaurant was probably 1/3rd full). To her credit, she did later come over and offer desserts on the house which we gratefully accepted.

When the bill was received the hostess then asked us to come and see her in reception when we had settled up, presumably to apologise. We followed her towards reception around 30 seconds later and she was nowhere to be seen.

Overall, very very poor. Isle of Mull hotel in Craignure was a far better experience the next evening and I cannot recommend highly enough.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank stewartkev
Glenforsa, Owner at The Glenforsa Hotel Mull, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review.
We were asked to fit you in on a Sataurday night as you were unable to to get a table in a another restaurant nearby (you had not booked) Your party arrived as were taking orders for 26 bar meals.You would of been aware of this as you were having a drink in the bar. We prepare and cook all of our meals to order and we make sure that our customers are aware of this.
We do not serve olives as they are not included in the fresh local and home grown produce that our menu is prepared from, perhaps you are confusing us with the Italian restaurant you tried first? you were however given freshly baked bread rolls. Allison did apologise for the delay and noted that you had eaten all of your main courses. When you came to reception Allison had been called to serve at the bar which is not unusual on a busy Saturday night in August.
We do not kick our dog (Stella).

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I think the bad reviews I've read have been incredulous and completely laughable. I'm sure the owner must be respectfully holding back as I know he has been to and stayed in New York. He has been more than gracious in his responses to some of libelous accusations made here. That said, my family and I had a wonderful time. Food was great, piping hot (watch the steak pie!), and plentiful: all locally grown, caught, hatched. Brendan and Allison are amiable and accommodating hosts. The staff is just as nice. The hotel is justifiably and beautifully rustic and reminds me of my stays in Wisconsin -which were at more premium prices I might add. Having stayed at five star city hotels, I just really find this place much more enjoyable. The hound in the front lobby was a definite plus! It's close enough to Craignure to get to the first am ferry without rushing. The staff would have had a hot breakfast early, but we did not want to trouble them. I highly recommend this hotel. My only wish was that we would have had more time to enjoy this gem of an island.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have just returned from staying at Glenforsa where I flew in on a Friday and left Sunday morning to fly home.
The trip was arranged at the last minute to take advantage of the weather.
Alison and Brendan were hospitable and helpful and run a comfortable Hotel. The bar meals are excellant and the restaurant first class. I can recommend the steak, cooked to perfection.
On my next visit I intend to stay longer; its an excellent base for flying around the Hebrides

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Whilst I have seen somewhat mixed reviews on Trip Advisor, I can only declare that my wife and I have found this hotel one of the very best that we have visited on our tour around Scotland. We flew in to the local grass airfield, only 80 metres from the hotel, to be greeted by owner Brendan and his wife Allison. They have made us most welcome and presented us with some of the most delicious food that we have experienced anywhere. This hotel is most comfortable, is situated in an area of exceptional beauty and is the ultimate place at which to chill out. Unfortunately, we need to leave tomorrow but would not hesitate to return to this hotel if we are ever back in Mull.

Highly recommended !!!

Room Tip: All rooms appear to be equivalent and good.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bgcolvin
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We enjoyed our 4 night stay here. Well situated for exploring Mull. We ate at the hotel on three of the 4 nights. The management was friendly and helpful. They gave us info to get to Staffa. There were only 3 points which did not make this a first class place. The first, the room was very dark and we needed the lights on most of the time. The advertised wi fi did not work in the room. The meal the first night was pricey for the quality. The bar meals the other 2 evenings were fine.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Glenforsa, Owner at The Glenforsa Hotel Mull, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we are sorry that you could not get wi-fi in your room, there are a number of wi-fi nodes throughout the hotel to ensure 100% coverage of our free wi-fi service and occasionally these need resetting, if we are informed of a problem this only takes a couple of minutes.Our restaurant serves only the very best locally sourced produce supplemented by vegetables from our garden,eggs from our chickens and fish caught from our boat, we are aware of what is charged on other restaurants on Mull and we are confident that our prices represent extremely good value while maintaining a very high standard.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salen
Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa
#8 of 27 in Tobermory
Glengorm Castle
Glengorm Castle
#4 of 27 in Tobermory

Been to The Glenforsa Hotel Mull? Share your experiences!