“Good Food but Pricey”
Review of Mediterranea

Mediterranea
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Salen
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We had a lovely meal in the restaurant but I thought it was a wee bit overpriced especially when we received the bill and it stated service charge not included, at that price it should have been. I heard one other diner complaining to the waitress that this was outrageous and asking her if he didn't pay for the service if she wouldn't get her wages, which of course she will so surely that means service IS included otherwise what is she getting paid for?
The service was in fact quite average, we were overlooked at first and when the waitress finally came over she apologized saying she was very tired and clumsy at that time of night (it was only 8 o'clock). I hoped to get olives and bread before my meal as I saw them on another table however they never appeared and they were not on the menu for ordering that I could see, the waitress however seemed very friendly with the people at the 'olive' table and spent a good while with them chatting and joking.
Overall I thought the food was delicious and I particularly liked the crostini starter that tasted very fresh and flavorsome. The meals at other tables looked very good too and the chef came out to be rightfully complimented at one point which was nice as she was the one doing the real hard work, perhaps the 'tip' should actually be given to the backstage geniuses creating the lovely meals.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Nice little restaurant, friendly staff. Food good and big portions (which is good) and the wine we had (forget which I'm afraid) was also good. Went as a couple. Stand out dish for me was the calamari starter. Little expensive for what it is, but its still good food and well worth a visit

Reviewed June 29, 2014

The atmosphere was lovely in this restaurant. We visited on the same night as a large party of 15 which impacted on the level of service we received. Nevertheless the staff were friendly and the food was delicious! Very fresh and reasonably priced. Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

For a tiny village in a remote Scottish island to possess a restaurant like this is a miracle! Apparently it is the only Italian restaurant on Mull, but puts many local restaurants in Italy to shame. As it was a Tuesday evening we didn't expect it to be busy, but booked a table half an hour in advance and it was wise, because the place soon filled up. Complimentary bread and olives were served as we arrived. Young and helpful waiting staff were efficient but not over-intrusive. I had local salmon cooked and served with Italian flair; my wife had a pasta dish. Both were substantial portions, so much so that we skipped the dessert. Not chain restaurant prices but much better than chain quality.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

Just rounded off a great two weeks holiday on this fabulous island with a very good meal in a great little restaurant. Mussells, Scallops and Tiramisu well recommended served by efficient and friendly staff. Don't miss out on a visit here.