“Quaint B&B near the ferry”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fionnphort
Seaview Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 5 Fionnphort B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed here last week and had a wonderful night. John and Jane were very welcoming and served a delicious breakfast. The B&B is very close to the Iona ferry terminal. The bed was comfortable and the room quiet. We had a beautiful view at breakfast across the bay to Iona, and even were able to see dolphins swimming by.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Wanderer61, Owner at Seaview Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Thank you for taking time out to post your review following your stay with us at Seaview and for your kind comments.

We really like your description of quaint, meaning 'attractively and charmingly old fashioned'. Seaview is a traditional Hebridean cottage built int he 1860's from the local pink granite offering 21st century comfort, service and facilities and of course the added extra for everyone is the view from the breakfast room with those dolphins cavorting in the bay that morning an added bonus.

What a lovely way to end your visit to Mull and Scotland and we do hope will leave lasting memories of your short stay here.

Slainte,

Reviewed April 20, 2013

We recently stayed at this b&b and were greeted by John on arrival who showed us around and then helped us to our room. Although the room was very small it was clean as was the ensuite.

We ate in the restaurant/pub next door that evening and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The staff were very welcoming and friendly.

When we retired for the evening, unfortunately we were not able to have a restful night due to the hardness of the beds – not firm, just very hard and as a result we were awake for most of the night and arose extremely tired and sore.

We were greeted at breakfast next morning by John who asked us how we were and it when it was explained to him about our sleepless night he was apologetic. He said that the beds were new and they had been expensive so could not understand that they were not comfortable. He offered to let us try out a different room which we declined to due not knowing whether the bed would be as hard until we had retired for the evening and said we would just head off home a day early. He then took our breakfast order and went off to the kitchen.

As the door had been left opened we could then hear our situation being discussed and a ladies voice could be heard to say that she hoped we didn’t expect to get our money back as we were leaving a day early. We were extremely upset and embarrassed by this as money had not been mentioned at any time during our conversation with John . We got up and closed the door as we did not wish to hear anymore.

When both John & Jane came into the breakfast dining area, the conversation that ensued can only be described as bizarre. Jane asked us if we were there ” just to cause trouble” (her exact words). We were completely baffled by this as we’d had virtually no contact with her up until then other than a very brief conversation on our way out the previous evening . She then went on to say – and again, her exact words ….”here’s the deal – you won’t be getting a refund for last night but we won’t charge you for tonight”. Her whole manner towards the situation was confrontational and totally unacceptable – a complete contrast to John’s which had been apologetic and helpful .
We asked for our breakfast to be served. The breakfast was fairly average for a b&b and after we had finished, we returned to our room to pack and we left.

When we were outside packing up the car John came out and again apologised, asking if he could re-book us on an earlier ferry, and we accepted his offer.

If the whole situation had just ended with the conversation with John at the breakfast table then there would have been no need for this unfavourable revue as he handled the unfortunate situation well however we left extremely upset by what occurred following that, due soley to the way in which Jane subsequently dealt with it.

Suffice to say we would not return to this b&b and would not recommend it anyone.

The two stars awarded for this revue are for the cleanliness of the establishment and John’s helpful attitude.

9  Thank valley2202

We have been expecting this review - this couple are what is known in this part of the world as being ‘at it’ and our suspicions have been confirmed by the reviewer’s own admission (as new users to Trip Advisors) as they have purposely gone out of their way to post their comments. We are not surprised by the comments left by the reviewer or that she has been selective in what she has said as this takes her comments and the situation out of context.

First of all, our rooms are small; however they do exceed the requirements set by VisitScotland who assess us at this high grade each year. We don’t disguise the room sizes – we display photos on our website showing the bedrooms and we make it very clear that our home is a traditional Hebridean cottage built in the 1860’s, both on our website as well as here on TripAdvisor. The clue is in the word ‘cottage’ and although we don’t have large rooms, more importantly our welcome, hospitality, food, customer service, attention to detail, friendliness and helpfulness definitely is.

We have invested a significant amount of money in replacing our beds and the zip link twin beds in this particular room are new (2012) with over a thousand pocket springs in each (medium comfort) mattress on a sprung edge base. This type of base has a fully sprung top and not just the edges as its name suggests. Considered the most luxurious of bases, they provide even support across the whole mattress, with no hard edges, which helps create a softer feel and works with the mattress to 'take the strain'. The result makes the whole bed feel softer and will increase the life of the mattress.

The beds are extremely comfortable – we have both ‘road tested’ the beds ourselves, both as twin singles and as a super king size double and since having them have regularly received numerous compliments from guests about their comfort.

Beds are subjective and what will suit one person doesn’t necessarily suit another. I asked the guest why hadn’t she rung the ‘emergency bell’ during the night to let me know so I could have done something about it, to which she replied she wasn’t going to get me up in the middle of night just because she found the bed uncomfortable. (The guest had had every opportunity to tell me about the beds being uncomfortable between coming in from the pub after their meal earlier in the evening and going upstairs to their room for a couple of hours before going out again to the pub at 9.30 pm, as they spoke to me in the kitchen on their way back out). I also offered to make the twin beds up into the super king double for the following night, as well as to change rooms so she could try another bed and also offered her pain killers and anti-inflammatory medication. All my offers of help were refused and the guest insisted that as her back was so painful and she was unable to walk properly they were going home.

What I can say is that the reaction of this guest and her use of an offensive swear word to me at the breakfast table in describing her nights sleep was out of all proportion and unacceptable. In over 30 years of working in the hospitality industry I have never been spoken to like this by a guest.

We have an open door policy at Seaview – the front door is always open and guests are welcome to come and go as they please. The kitchen door from the hall way is also kept open so that guests can see us, approach us and chat to us if they so choose. As we had nothing to hide, naturally I discussed the guest’s complaint with my wife Jane who was cooking breakfast in the kitchen and we also discussed how we were going to deal with the complaint especially in view of the hostility of the manner I had experienced in the breakfast room.

The dangers of eavesdropping on a private conversation (and I know this because the husband of the woman was caught by me quickly returning to the breakfast table from standing at the sitting room door listening), is that you only hear a small part of what is said and very often make incorrect assumptions. The discussion between my wife and I included how could we make the situation better for the guest especially as I had already offered everything I could, how we could resolve the complaint and seeing as they were insisting on leaving it might be better to just give them their money back, which as it happens was Jane’s suggestion. When I returned to the breakfast room to let them know I saw the husband returning to his chair at the breakfast table in the dining room having been stood at the sitting room door listening to our conversation; the couple then made a further complaint about how unprofessional we were about discussing their complaint and I returned to the kitchen to tell Jane there was a further complaint about the conversation we had had and which had been heard.

At this point we were beginning to feel as though nothing we could do or offer was going to resolve this situation and so Jane accompanied me into the breakfast room where she politely asked the guest what the problem was and how could she help? The conversation that ensued was bizarre indeed – the guests took offence at everything they were asked, everything they were offered, everything that was said and the woman even ridiculed the way my wife spoke (Jane doesn’t speak with a Scottish accent) by raising her voice and pointedly waving her finger at Jane .

The offer to change the ferry booking from the Sunday to the Saturday was made and done by Jane and accepted by the husband. His cases were also carried out to the car by me and I shook his hand. I would like to point out that the apologies I offered in the house and again outside at the car were for the poor night’s sleep that the guest had experienced.

Interestingly, despite a great show of walking with a ‘bad’ back to and from her bedroom, once outside this guest walked with ease from her car to the shop next door and was seen again in the ferry queue at Craignure an hour or so later walking normally with ease across the road. No sign at all of a bad back!

This situation is regrettable and we do hope that users of TripAdvisor will read this review in context to the others we have received. My wife and I endeavour to be friendly and professional at all times to help and please our guests and we were disappointed that on this occasion despite our best efforts this guest was not even prepared to give us the opportunity to rectify her poor night’s sleep.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed at this delightful B&B for a week recently, on my first visit to Mull. I couldn't have picked a better place: gracious host and hostess, super breakfasts made with prime fresh ingredients, comfortable room, and immaculate en-suite. Jane is a really good cook; John is a mine of useful local knowledge, and the lounge has a very well stocked library of local information. The house is perfectly located: next door to the left is the Post Office and General Store; next door to the right is the local pub with very good bistro food; and it's a two-minute walk to board the ferry to Iona. But the best attraction was their welcome : they go that extra mile to make sure that your stay is as comfortable as possible, and they're genuinely nice people. I wouldn't contemplate staying anywhere else on my next visit to Mull.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Wanderer61, Owner at Seaview Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Hello and thank you for such kind and generous comments.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us at Seaview and that we were able to make your stay so comfortable and welcoming. We enjoyed looking after you and look forward to having the opportunity to do so again sometime in the future. Love the profile photo - keep up the walking :-)

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay of two nights. We were made to feel at home and our hosts helped with lots of local knowledge and helpful info. Will certainly recommend it to friends. The views at breakfast were fantastic.
Glenys and Terry Taylor

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Wanderer61, Owner at Seaview Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Hello Glenys & Terry,

Thank you for popping by and posting a review for us following your recent stay. Delighted you enjoyed your stay here at Seaview and it's good to know we were able to help you make the most of your time here. The view from the breakfast is fantastic - as you can imagine it's great for sitting in and watching the world go by :-)

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We didn't know quite what to expect by visiting the Isle of Mull but it was so much better than expected. We did wonder where we would end up on the single track road to Fionnphort but it was well worth the trip when we got there. This was mainly down to our stay at Seaview B&B. We were made to feel very welcome by Jane and John (and the dogs) and John very kindly arranged a wildlife tour which gave us the chance to see what we came to see - the Sea Eagle. The view when having our breakfast is something we think about every day. Seaview was one of the best B&Bs we have stayed in - the breakfast (with the view) was outstanding. We can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Wanderer61, Owner at Seaview Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Hello Amanda,

Thank you for popping by and posting your review. We are delighted your first visit to the Isle of Mull was so much better than you expected. We understand the trepidation of driving 37 miles down a single track road and wondering where it is you are going to end up; sometimes we call it the 'white knuckle' drive for first timers :-) We are also delighted that your stay with us helped make your stay worthwhile and that you were able to see the Sea Eagles. We look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the future so we can share Mull's other hidden gems with you both.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We spent 2 nights at Seaview and wish we could have stayed longer. Great location only 2 minutes from ferry to Iona. Rooms are quite small but very clean & comfortable. Lovely ensuite shower room. Very nice freshly prepared breakfast served in conservatory with view over to Iona.
John & Jane are very friendly and welcoming. So are the 2 dogs Megan & Lainie!
Lots of lovely walks from the doorstep & a nice pub next door for evening meals. A very relaxing place to unwind. Comfortable lounge with lots of local information, maps & books.
Very reasonably priced for the standard of accommodation & attention to detail. Mull and the Seaview both surpassed our expectations!

Room Tip: Lunga has a small window seat with a great view over to Iona. Brand new ensuite shower room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Wanderer61, Owner at Seaview Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for your lovely kind comments. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back again sometime in the future.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was our third visit to Seaview and as always we had a lovely time. John and Jane made us very welcome. Jane is a great cook and we enjoyed the venison casserole - infact it was the tastiest venison I have ever had. The cheesecake and apple pudding were also delightful. My husband tackled the seafood special - very impressive - he is still talking about it! John is very knowledgeable about the area and is well respected across Mull according to several people we met. He is keen to preserve the environment and this is reflected in the way Seaview is run. The rooms are clean, warm and cosy and provided us with everything we needed. It was a delight to eat our meals overlooking Iona and we often lingered absorbing the peace and tranquility. There is a shop and a pub nearby - this serves reasonably priced meals - and of course the ferry point for Iona and Staffa. A good base for walking and wildlife spotting.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are available. Our latest one was at the back but the view was pleasant enough over t...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Wanderer61, Owner at Seaview Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Hello Carol,

Thank you for dropping by and posting your review. Delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit with us again - your kind words and comments are very much appreciated. If you would like the venison casserole recipe email me directly and I'll happily send it on to you. Hopefully the photo Alan took of his seafood platter will keep him going until you come again :-)

We do love where we love and we are keen to care for our surroundings as much as we can; it was good of you to notice our efforts in the running of our business and our home. We do our best without preaching or compromising on the quality of our service, care and product that we offer our guests.

Many thanks and look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the near future.

John & Jane Noddings
(Megan and Lainie too of course)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fionnphort
Western Isles Hotel
#7 of 27 in Tobermory
Bellachroy Hotel
Bellachroy Hotel
#1 of 10 in Dervaig

Been to Seaview Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!