“Unexpectedly good pub food”
Review of The Keel Row

The Keel Row
Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Fionnphort
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: http://www.yell.com/b/The+Keel+Row+Restaurant-Restaurants+_+Pub+Food-Isle+Of+Mull-PA666BL-2000868/index.html
New York City, New York
“Unexpectedly good pub food”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

No reservations taken here so you need to learn their check-in system, enjoy a drink, and wait for the food - it is worth it! More gourmet than you would expect. Great soups, fresh fish, delish desserts. Everything homemade, much locally sourced.

Visited July 2014

“Great food, nice staff, very welcoming atmosphere.”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I came here with my family two nights in a row while we were touring the Ross of Mull.

The food was exceptional; very well-made, and reasonable prices for fair portions. None of us went home unsatisfied.

A lot of the food is locally-sourced, - such as the Tobermory rainbow trout which was a special when we were there, - and the Mini Haggis Supper starter. It doesn't get more Scottish than battered, deep-fried haggis. Personally, I'd recommend the lasagne, and the trout.

The staff made us feel welcome, and were very friendly throughout the night. A couple of reviewers have mentioned a rude, 40-something server, but he wasn't there on the nights we were there (Saturday and Sunday.)

I was surprised at the value of the food. The Keel Row is the only restaurant - as far as I know - in this area of the island, so I was expecting to have to pay lots for lazy food, but this wasn't the case. For a family of three, drinks, starters, main courses, and a cheese platter to share came to about £60, which isn't bad, in my opinion.

My only complaint is how busy it was; both nights we had to wait over 45 minutes for a table, but we didn't feel under pressure to leave quickly. Luckily, there's a bar right next to the restaurant, where you can open a tab for the night, including food. Also, there's free WiFi, which was an absolute godsend, as the south side of Mull has literally no phone signal whatsoever. Not just no 3G; you can't even send a text, let alone upload photos to Facebook.

Overall, a great place, nice staff, very good food, not too bank-breaking. If you're coming back on the last ferry from Iona, or just in the area looking for some food, this is really the only place to go, but even if there were other places to choose from, I think I'd still want to come here.

1 Thank Jon L
London
“Simple wholesome dinner”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

After a day of touring Iona we wanted to eat somewhere easy and homely. We were recommended the Keel by a local captain. It was spot on. Fortunately, we arrived early and did not had to wait long for a table for eight of us.

The food all round was excellent; the sea food was fresh and generous. We had langoustines; scallops and lobster: all were excellent.

There were daily specials which on a blackboard which disappeared very quickly.

No stinting on the desserts side: homemade and large servings.

Staff were very friendly and helpful; easily accommodating the whims of eight including four young children.

Overall, very pleased and excellent value.

1 Thank Ben-Saud
Scotland
“No reservations taken, but excellent food!”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Title says it all, really! We went for an early drink in the bar to ensure we were first through the door as it only really caters for several customers at the same time - however, this results in really excellent food. My main was scallops with pea and bacon tagliatelle and it truly was the best scallop dish I've ever had. Will be back.

New York City, New York
“Great lunch”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Four of us ate at the Keel Row for lunch with everyone enjoying their lunches. The spicy wedges and fish and chips were particularly good. My one year old son played among the picnic tables outside and all of the customers as well as staff were very friendly. The view was beautiful and the beer was refreshing.