“A great holiday”

Ranked #1 of 10 Dervaig B&B and Inns
Lanark, United Kingdom
“A great holiday”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My wife and I have recently returned from a two week holiday on Mull. Our accommodation throughout was at the Bellachroy. We could not have been looked after any better. The room was clean and comfortable; all the staff were very pleasant and the food was excellent in both quality and value. They do an excellent job in sourcing locally and it shows. The restaurant was packed virtually every night so booking a table is essential.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Iain S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Thai first
Marblehead, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We travelled to Mull in June to catch up with family, unfortunately we could not get to stay at the Bellachroy as it was full, however they were able to give us a table for eleven for a family dinner. The food was quite spectacular, far and away the best of a two week trip including London and the South of France, and the staff could not have been more helpful. A great destination!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Markinch, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Have eaten twice at the Bellacroy this holiday. Good atmosphere, even better food, good service and unobtrusive background music. The menu is good and the Vegetable Platter for sharing is quite something!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2012

This was my first ever trip to Mull along with a group of like minded friends who were there to climb Ben More. I had already decided I was having some creature comfort this trip and picked the Bellachroy on speck, I was not disappointed. Comfortable rooms, fantastic food and plenty of it. I liked being able to pick your time for breakfast in the morning and the pre order that went with that. The weekend could not have been any kinder to us weather wise, wall to wall sunshine throughout the weekend. Can I also throw in a big thanks to the group of French people who we ended up sharing a right good time with on the Sunday night. The hotel staff were always helpful and attentive and it gets my vote for a return visit.

Room Tip: Ask questions when booking
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Our first trip to Mull but it won't be our last. The Bellachroy is definitely well worth a visit and is an excellent base for exploring the secrets of Mull. The rooms are homely and comfortable. You can expect a warm welcome from all the staff. The food is wonderful, in particular their seafood and meat platters, and sticky toffee pudding! Excellent real ales. A great week with fantastic weather.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
north yorkshire
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We stayed here for 6 nights in May 2012 during the heatwave. We had one of the attic rooms but neither of us being tall it didn't worry us. We also thought that booking breakfast the night before really speeded up the process of breakfast so no-one had to wait very long. The staff were excellent and helpful, and when I hurt my back they organised painkillers and a straight-backed chair for me which was very much appreciated. The food was very good but to me the portion sizes were extreme. We both ordered haddock and chips on the night of our arrival but I could manage only about a quarter of it which at £16.00 for the dish was not value for money. Subsequent nights I stuck to the starter menu which was not very varied.
Also, when I booked the room the price was £95/room/night. By the time I paid, it had gone up to £135/room/night. I think this was excessive and it would have been fair to let me know in advance. The room was a fair price at £95 but well overpriced at £135 and I wouldn't have booked at that price.
Having said that, we did enjoy our stay but probably won't return.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rumpuscat
Bellachroy, Owner at Bellachroy Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Whilst we welcome and value all our customer feedback we were concerned that this review implies that we are in the habit of overcharging our guests, which is definitely not the case.

We have double checked all bills associated with this guest and can verify that they were charged the correct amounts for their haddock & chips £11.50 (which we feel is quite reasonable as it is fresh, local, and a generous portion size!) not £16.00 as stated in this review and only charged £95.00 for the room, as confirmed to them at time of booking (which they agree was a fair price). We would like to state that we have never overcharged any guest as suggested in this review and feel that this review is an unfair and inaccurate reflection on the way we run our business.

We are by no means in the habit of suddenly changing guest prices, and on the occasion where a guest has amended a booking, any changes and costs would have been re-confirmed in writing in advance. We are confused as to how this guest can suggest that they were over charged in this way. If they would like to contact us directly we would be happy to discuss the situation with them, in the hope that next time they think about visiting Mull they may not be “in two minds” as to whether they return to stay with us, and we hope to be able to welcome them back to our hotel on a future occasion.

Nick & Debbie Hanson (owners)
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This was my 8th consecutive visit to The Bellachroy on my annual trip to Mull, and yet again the standards were of the highest order.

There is real value for money in staying at The Bellachroy, and always a warm welcome. The food was yet again of an excellent standard, and the rooms clean comfortable and well appointed.

I would recommend staying here as an excellent base to travel around the Isle of Mull.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dervaig
Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa
#4 of 26 in Tobermory
Park Lodge Hotel
Park Lodge Hotel
#7 of 26 in Tobermory

Been to Bellachroy Hotel? Share your experiences!