“Very good food”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Craignure
Leicester
“Very good food”
Reviewed April 1, 2009

Food was very good and service in restaurant very efficient but a little too quick.Room was OK, but room service was poor ( had to ask for toilet rolls). Excellent spa facilities.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
BobWalker, Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 7, 2009
Many thanks for your comments regards your stay with us recently. We are always greatfull for guests to make their views on their stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
Reviewed March 29, 2009

I booked the Spa weekend break package as a birthday surprise for my wife which included a mini facial or 30min massage as part of the package. On arrival at the hotel we were greeted by a very nice girl at reception who checked us in and handed over the keys. As a person who spends an enormous amount of time in hotels throughout the UK on business, I was none too impressed by the level of cleanliness in the room. The TV hadn't been dusted and the room carpet looked like it had been used in a dog kennel.
There were also no towels in the room at all until what we assumed was a chambermaid, walked into our room un-announced to put them in to the toilet for us. To be fair though she did apologise. To top it all off, we headed down to the spa to enquire about when we could have our included treatment. We were amazingly told that we wouldn't be able to have them as the spa was fully booked until the Monday (We were leaving on the Sunday). My immediate reaction was to head up to the reception to speak to the Manager. The girl at reception went off to get the manager at my request then returned moments later to tell me that the manager was too busy to speak to me and that if a cancellation came up in the spa, she would inform me!!!
When I questioned the managers ability to come and speak to me face to face, the receptionist then informed me that it was not the hotel's fault the spa was fully booked, rather, it was their head office's fault as they accepted the booking for the package. I found that comment to be somewhat bizzare what with the appointment book sitting on the desk at the spa reception in the hotel???
I then called the head office in Edinburgh where a nice young lady confirmed that it was indeed the hotel's responsibility to ensure that they could supply what they were selling. She then atempted to call the General manger at the hotel whilst I was on hold and was told exactly the same thing I was told i.e. "The manager was too busy to speak to her". She was informed that the manager would speak to me as soon as he was free. As we had then missed the last ferry back to the mainland waiting for the manager to contact us, we had no option but to stay in the hotel that night. The next morning my wife and I decided that we were not going to be kept waiting in a hotel room for the manager to come and see us, so we decided to go for a drive round the island. Low and behold, we were called just after 11 by the hotel receptionist to inform us that they had a cancellation in the spa for 12pm, unfortunately we were on the other side of the island and were in no position to be back at such short notice.
Another call to the head office in Edinburgh ensued to try and track down the elusive manager of the hotel this time by a customer services supervisor in Edinburgh but surprise surprise, the manager was not available to speak to him either??

My wife's birthday was ruined by inneficiency and a complete lack of organisation from a manager who appears at face value to treat his clients with contempt and has litle or no time to speak to them other than thank them from behind a computer screen for their comments on a website rather than face to face when the problem arises.

The food was reasonable though and the waiting staff attentive and friendly (Too attentive in some instances as my wife and I felt rushed through the service).

I can only assume that those who have given this hotel a five star rating have either left their review for the wrong hotel or have led a sheltered life.
I stayed in a budget hotel chain in Manchester last week at short notice which was infinitely cleaner and better run than the Isle of Mull Hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
BobWalker, Bob Walker Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 7, 2009
Many thanks for taking the time to write your comments regards your stay with us. I have in fact replied to your letter which you should receive this week explaining all the details that you mention.
Many of our guests who specifically come to the hotel for the pool and spa do in fact telephone prior to arriving to book their treatments which then avoids any disappointment and we will be checking all the areas where one can book to ensure that this message is made quite clear to any guests in the future.
My apologises and as mentioned there is a fuller explanation on its way to you.

Travelers are raving about these Craignure hotels

stirling
Reviewed March 8, 2009

The hotel is located 3minutes from the ferry terminal. The service at reception was courteous and proffessional. The room was a decent size with views out over the water. The bathroom was clean and was fitted with a bath which was nice. The spa facilities were great and the outdoor hottub excellant. I would imagine they would get quite crowded in high season bearing in mind that my visit was in feb. We had booked a DB+B package so were tied to the hotel for our main meals. The breakfasts were buffet and brilliant (if you like full scottish/english!) The evening meals were ok. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Book this hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2009

First time at Isle of Mull Hotel but it will not be my last. Staff friendly, food excellent, terrific views from bedrooms and great leisure facilities. A very relaxing & enjoyable stay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Dunfermline
Reviewed January 11, 2009

Last weekend(3rd January) we returned from a very enjoyable and relaxing four-night stay for New Year at Isle of Mull Hotel. The food, the friendly and very helpful management and staff were all excellent and contributed to our enjoyment. They went out of their way to make everything as comfortable as possible for all the guests. We enjoyed it so much we have already booked for New Year 09/10 and we are also going again for Valentines weekend. We love the Isle of Mull and our stays at Isle of Mull Hotel, it always feels like home from home whenever we stay there. So we have just one thing to say to you all moaners out there - get a life! Hello to Bob, Sean, Carrie and all, we will see you all on 14th February.

• Liked — The views over the sound of Mull and all the Staff
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
BobWalker, Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 25, 2009
Many thanks for taking the time to review your visit to us at New Year and i will certainly pass on your remarks to the staff. It was a busy time however very enjoyable and everyone seemed to be of the same thoughts as yourselves. Look forward to seeing you at Valentines.
east kilbride
Reviewed January 4, 2009

this was probably the best short break we have ever had. The food was superb and the staff could not have been more helpful. We will definitely go back again and as a result of this experience try one of the other hotels in group.

• Liked — the food
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed December 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
BobWalker, Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 6, 2009
Many thanks for your kind words and i am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. When we read coments like yours it makes the job worth while. I will certainly pass on your comments to the staff.
Reviewed December 30, 2008

I checked in at 6pm and my room was freezing, I closed windows, curtains etc and turned the heating up full. It was still the same when I called reception an hour later, a member of staff had to come back to turn the heating up fully with a screw driver as it was impossible to do without one. We had 2 rooms which were exactly the same, freezing! It was 11pm I took my coat off. When I brought it up checking out the next morning I spoke to the duty manager who explained that it was self control heating and the house keepers turn it off in the morning to be more energy efficient. So I asked the question "if we would like a warm room next time should we check in at 3pm to turn our heating up?", the answer was "yes". In fairness the staff were lovely and breakfast was great but this ruined my time here after wanting to use the facilities unfortunately I was trying to keep warm instead. Sorry but I feel that if a Hotel is trying to be more energy efficient more reaserch needs to be done to avoid this, heat in a room should come as standard.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Freezing cold rooms
  • Stayed October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
BobWalker, Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 5, 2009
Many thanks for your comments on your recent stay and i have to agree with you that heat in the bedroom is and should be standard and for the lack of it i apologise.
The heaters are supposed to be turned up on the morning of the rooms that are arriving and i can only surmise that this was omitted in your case.
Again my apoligises.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Craignure
Oban Bay Hotel
Manor House Hotel
Manor House Hotel
#1 of 13 in Oban
Mingarry Park Luxury Accommodation & Restaurant

Been to Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!