“Not impressed with the way staff are treated”

Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Craignure
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here during our honeymoon. We were met by a surly receptionist who had a bad attitude. The restaurant had staff who treated each other in a derogatory way. They had a new staff member who asked a colleague for help and was refused. Then laughed at as he made a mistake! The bedroom door did not lock and we had a person wander in in the early hours. The only redeeming thing was the Spa. This area was lovely and the australian lady who looked after me was excellent. Afraid there is not much else to recommend this place. Sadly.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank angi01
Gen M, General Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Hello and thanks for your review. I am sorry if you felt there was an issue with your welcome on arrival. I do wish that perhaps you had asked to speak to mysel or my wife, about the issues you mention as this would have given us an opportunity to check and look into things.. After the event, it is not really possible to find out about the incident you mention.
Kind regards Neal Goldsmith

Write a ReviewReviews (1,488)

Reviewed September 1, 2013

There is a reason why there are so many terrible and poor ratings on Tripadvisor for the Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa.It is well located with a great views from the hotel's lounge and restaurant then you get to your room !

After going up and down stairs about four times and a maize of corridors we finally got to Room 49. A cold, damp and very musty smelling room, a bathroom in need of refurbishment, an uncomfortable hard lumpy double bed and no view.

We asked if there was another room and where told the hotel was full that night but we could move to Room 2 the next day. Room 2 has got a wonderful view and a more comfortable bed but also has a not so great smelling bathroom.

The hotel has a multi cultural staff, some of which where very good and others who where abrupt or just didn't understand English very well. The buffet breakfast was well cooked and the restaurant and is well decorated as are the lounge and reception areas.

Would I stay there again or recommend it to a friend - defiantly not !

Room Tip: Do not stay in rooms 2 or 49.
1  Thank marshallLancashire

Hello and thanks for your review. I am sorry that we fell below expectation and do wish that perhaps you had asked to speak to me during your stay to discuss matters. The hotel, like all hotels, is constantly under refurbishment and as I write there are decorators here painting bedrooms and corridors. Mattresses are constantly replaced as are other items. The design of the Hotel does mean there can be a walk to rooms, but no further than many large hotels, and we are always happy to assist with luggage if asked. I can see from your review that reception were as helpful as possible in moving you when they could, We do have a variety of staff from across Europe, but all do speak and understand English. I can only apologise if you were disapointed in any way, this is not our aim. Regards Neal Goldsmith

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Stayed 2 nights in room below the dining room. The views were spectacular but when the dining room was in use it was very noisy in our room - we could here the staff hoovering! Bed was not very comfortable and no shelves in the bathroom to put anything. Ate at hotel on first night and had packed lunch next day both very good. Spa facilities very good. Staff were very attentive but when checking out was not asked if we had enjoyed our stay which I thought was very odd.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not below the dining room.
1  Thank Rona J

Hello and thanks for taking the time to write and post your review following your stay with us. I am sorry if any hoovering in the restaurant disturbed you and I have spoken with the team and reminded them of times when hoovering is permitted and when not. I have also spoken with reception, we do normally as a matter of course ask if a guest has enjoyed their stay on check out and I apologise if this did not happen. Thanks for mentioning these things, so that we can take action, I am pleased overall you enjoyed you stay and hope you will return. Best regards Neal Goldsmith

Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Stunning scenery on a beautiful island. Food was nice but not spectacular, also, we asked to have dinner at 7:30 and were told it wasn't available yet when we dined at 6:45 the restaurant wasn't even half full even by the time we left around 8. Found this odd. Rooms were clean but basic and from the website I was under the impression it was going to be luxurious. Overall, I had a good time but expected more from the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank SammyA91
Gen M, General Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

hello and thanks for writing and posting your review. I am sorry if we fell below your expectations in any way, this is never our intention. Guests and meal times have to be staggered in line with kitchen availabilty, as all our food is cooked fresh to order, in particular items off the al la carte, and I am sorry that we could not accomodation your initial time request.
I hope that overall you will have considered that the hotel was good value for money and that perhaps you will visit again. Kind regards Neal Goldsmith

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We were a bit disappointed at the external look of the hotel when we arrived, but stepping inside you see straight out on to the water and big picture windows meant you could sit admiring the view. Room was clean and functional - again with the stunning water views. The bed was really comfortable. Nice toiletries supplied in the bathroom. Is a bit far to the next place for food so we ate in the restaurant and were pleasantly surprised a how good it was. A sensational chowder followed by grilled langoustines and washed down with a very reasonable bottle of Pinot grigio. The staff in the restaurant were great.
Breakfast was good and there was a plentiful selection of hot food to choose from.

Unfortunately, didn't get a chance to use the spa or leisure facilities as we were too busy sight seeing around Mull!

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room, not under the restaurant area!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MJ62_11
Gen M, General Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

hello and thanks both for visiting the Hotel and your review which has been shared with the team and I hope will be read by many. Yes the hotel outside does not look amazing, I imagine when it was built it was quite something, but whilst we cant change the outside, we do I hope give customers what they want inside. Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you again soon., Regards Neal Goldsmith

Reviewed August 28, 2013

My Husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights from the 23-25th August. We ate in the Hotel both nights in the Restraunt on the Friday and from the bar menu on the Satruday on both occassions the food was fantastic. The views from the restraunt are beautiful.

We had read some review previously and they were not good but we have no complaints at all. The food was fantastic the views are gorgeous the staff were very very friendly and chatty and the spa facilities were great. Lovely outdoor hot tub with gorgeous views. The bars are also very well stock with a wide rane of whisky and other drinks.

1  Thank suzyghughesy

Hello and thanks for writing and posting your lovely review, which I hope others will read and that it will help them to consider giving the Hotel a visit. Do hope you will visit again soom. Best wishes Neal Goldsmith

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Reception staff were unhelpful. The hotel has very long corridors and lots of stairs with no lifts - this was not made clear. All our party were senior citizens - no help was offered with luggage. The room I was in had been changed from a single by partly demolishing a wall - there was a stub wall that was up to the edge of the bed. The old headboard with bedside light was on the wrong wall so no bedside light available. The mattress sagged. Another couple in our group had requested a double but were given a twin - this was put right. Breakfast staff did not appear to speak English so our party did not end up seated together. No staff were available again to help with luggage when we left.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Phyl B

Hello and thank you for your review following your stay. I am extremely sorry if you were not satisfied with anything. I have not seen or heard a comment before about reception staff being unhelpful, they do go out of their way to asssist, and if they could not help you with anything, I do apologise. Requests for double or twin rooms, are or course that, requests, and with all we do try and accommodate this where we can, I am pleased that we were able to asssist your friends. Many of our staff are from various part of Europe, recruitment on the Island can be difficult, although I do assure you that they all speak, understand and write English, Assistance with luggage is always available on request for all guests,however I do believe you were part of a group and as such, your group guide would make all luggage arrangements. Once again after the event I can only apologise if there was anything that did not meet your expectation. I am always here to speak with guests during their stay. Regards Neal Goldsmith

Also consider these accommodations in or near Craignure
Western Isles Hotel
#7 of 27 in Tobermory
Glengorm Castle
Glengorm Castle
#3 of 27 in Tobermory

Been to Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!