“atrocious table d'hote dinner - good views”

Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Craignure
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa is the largest hotel on the island and as such seems to be geared for large parties !! It's location, overlooking a nice inlet, with views to the Ferry Terminal and onwards to the mainland, are great, on a good day !!!
The dinner menu, is akin, to high class, school meals.... and cooked in a similar manner.
The vegatables on our 1st night, had been regurgitated so many times, that the broccoli was brown. The jus for the lamb, was bisto gravy, with extra cornmeal added to thicken it up.... The chef can cook, as we had a lovely sea bass..... but only because we chose to have no sauce !!!! Service is of the eastern variety type, where it is made very obvious to guests that the staff are very unhappy in their job. Really disgraceful.
Good pool and spa. Children predominate and management and parents seem to be unable to stop them running up and down corridors, screaming at the top of their voices as they go !!!! Not somewhere you would go for peace and quiet....

Room Tip: all rooms have sea views, the quieter ones are furthest away from the reception and spa area
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gastronaut_11
GemahG, General Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2011

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel.

The menus are all done to company standard and we generally do not receive complaints, however when we serve over 3000 meals per week we can on occasion get it wrong and I appreciate this is of no consolation to yourself.

I very much regret the problems you experienced during your stay at the hotel. I would like to assure you that I am now dealing with the issues highlighted and reassure you that this is not the normal level of service I would care for our guests to receive.

Crerar Hotels strive to deliver the best possible products and services for our guests. As a company, we welcome feedback; it is through this feedback that we can continue to monitor and improve the services that we offer.

Gemah

Write a ReviewReviews (1,489)

Reviewed September 8, 2011

I find it hard to relate some of the other reviews to this hotel. Our room was clean, a decent size, and it had a telephone and a fantastic view. Sure, the hotel would benefit from a general upgrade, but this is a small Scottish island and not some sleek metropolis. It doesn't claim to be a country house hotel and neither does it charge the kind of rates you'd encounter in such a place. What it does do well is to provide clean, comfortable rooms and an excellent breakfast close to the Oban ferry and within striking distance of the main attractions for visitors to Mull - Tobermory and Iona. In my experience the staff were incredibly helpful and friendly and I'd have no hesitation in returning there or recommending the hotel to friends.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room with a view - it's stunning.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
GemahG, General Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2011

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel.

We are pleased you enjoyed your short break with us and hope that we can welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed September 5, 2011

I stayed in this hotel last june for 3 days. I liked the location of the hotel, in the middle of nature, at the sea side. I enjoyed the quality of the full Scottish breakfast, the swimming pool, the WiFi access (in the hall, not in the rooms) and the welcoming staff.
Unfortunately, the quietness of the place got a bit spoiled in the morning by the lack of sound proofing in the room and I had the feeling that my neighbours were waking up in my room. The quality of the bathroom was not the best.
But, as a general impression, this hotel was a nice and average place to stay for a few days.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank DeniZinho
GemahG, General Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor.

We are pleased you enjoyed your short break with us and hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed September 4, 2011

great hotel, with great location, very clean and tidy meals very good staff very friendly and willing to help. spa facilities swimming pool and hot tub were just what was needed to ease away the stress would certainly use this hotel again and highly reccomend it to anyone

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
GemahG, General Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor.

We are pleased you enjoyed your short break with us and very much look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed September 2, 2011

It started already at reception. Not a nice welcome at all by one of the employees!! Not helpful, very short and close to rudiness. Rooms were ok, clean but not very spacious. Same with the bathroom. Although the restaurant staff (mostly Eastern country young people) , were very friendly, due to the language barrier they were not very efficient at all ! The food was ok and the breakfast buffet was good. The big problem was the checking out. No possibility to check out the evening before!!! We had to leave early morning so we wanted to pay the night before. NOT POSSIBLE. We had to wait until tthe next morning when the receptionist would arrive at 8 am. We could only pay for everything until THAT evening. Ridiculous. Absurd!!! Let alone the friendliness at the reception counter, So be aware!! If you need to leave early....you can't pay and they will not help you to find a solution !!! Oh, and I forgot to mention, There is no phone in the rooms!!! So if anyone needs or wants to call you (such as my mother of 86) you can not be reached in your room.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank boomer40
GemahG, General Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2011

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on trip advisor.

I have spoken with the reception team regarding your comments and I can only apologise you felt they were close to rude, this is not common practice and certainly not how I wish for my guests to feel.

I am sorry you were unable to settle your account the previous night, the reception desk in manned 8.00am until 8.30pm.

The hotel provides telephones within all bedrooms, I therefore cannot understand your comments regarding this issue.

Reviewed September 2, 2011

we attended a wedding at the hotel and thought the managemnt and staff were very good!
I had creted the wedding cake and Mike and Gemah(managers) were very accommodating, giving me a free run of the kitchen to work on the cake.

as we were paying a group rate i thought cost to be reasonable but the full price might put some people off. hotel is a bit 'worn' but Mike informed me they were closing for a total refurbishment. hotel extrerior is very dated and needs attention for sure!

but great location , great staff and great stay!

Room Tip: rooms are slightly small but good. TV signal not good the view more than made up for that
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor.

We were pleased you enjoyed your short stay with us, it was a pleasure being able to help accommodate you in the kitchen to work on the fabulous cake, and certainly the best we have ever seen!

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa in the not too distant future.

Reviewed September 1, 2011

I had the misfortune of visiting this hotel on Sunday 28th of August this year.I wanted to have dinner with some friends.I enquired at the lounge bar for a dinner menu and to ask if I could make a reservation for for dinner in the next 30 minutes or so.The bar tender barely looked at me and and told me the menuwas on the bar and looked at it as if to say get it yourself which I did! Drinks wee ordered and we went to sit down only to be told the whole seating area weas reserved for guests at a wedding,undeterrred we went into the restaurant to try and eat,the waiter asked if we had a reservation and were residents,things become complicated despite only 2 tables eating in the restaurant....what a joke!
A so called 3 star hotel with proper chefs should be able to cope with unexpected or late resevations in the restaurant and the bar staff need to be properely trained...be warned !

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank JJOllie

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on trip advisor.

I have personally spoken with the bar person who was on duty and he has asked me to pass on his sincerest apologies, he did not intend on coming across as being rude.

The alcove area was reserved for the wedding party we had in house, however there were many other tables available within the lounge and downstairs area.

The waiter was quite right to ask whether you had reserved a table and if you were residents. Although the restaurant appeared to be empty when you looked in, all tables were booked to be used within the next hour, however had he not asked the questions he would have not known if you were already on his dinner list and of course he would have needed to know purely for billing purposes.

I am sorry you felt let down on this occasion and apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Gemah

Also consider these accommodations in or near Craignure
Western Isles Hotel
#7 of 27 in Tobermory
Glengorm Castle
Glengorm Castle
#3 of 27 in Tobermory

Been to Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!