“My favorite place in all the world”
Review of Baile-na-Cille

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Timsgarry
Baile-na-Cille
Ranked #1 of 1 Timsgarry B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“My favorite place in all the world”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We have stayed here many times and have always had a fabulous time. Richard and Joanna are wonderful hosts, the location is perfect and rooms are lovely. If it wasn't so far from the US, we would come every year!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Hoganas, Sweden
Reviewed September 26, 2012

As we were on Harris and travelling to Lewis we were browsing the Internet to find somewhere to stay. And luckily we found Baile-na-Cille, one of the most wonderful places we have ever stayed in. Very personal and with the most wonderful landlord that we have ever met in Scotland. The room was quite alright and the evening meal was great, a hearthy Scottish dinner with "a twist". As we arrived our landlord Richard was cooking both some chutney and the meat for dinner and the hole place was smelling of good food. Richard is a really wonderful person who welcomes you into his "home". We would like to come back soon. The view over the beach are just amazing. We can't recommend it enough, it's a place with personality and the location is just marvelous. Just hope I haven't said to much so it will be fully booked next time we go there. Thank you Richard!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Biirgitta_A
Hexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed with my partner at Baile-na-Cille for an all too short week at the beginning of August; the most recent of many visits spanning 20 years. As usual, we were overwhelmed by the whole experience. The view of the bay as you come over the brow of the hill never fails to take your breath away, this year with the added bonus of the deer paddling in the creek. We were welcomed with open arms and made to feel at home as soon as we arrived. The accommodation was comfortable and spotlessly clean, the service exemplary and the food delicious. Our request for vegetarian meals was met without so much as a raised eyebrow and we were treated to a range of interesting and tasty dishes during our stay.
Jo and Richard are the perfect hosts - always charming and considerate. Nothing seems to be too much trouble.
We look forward to taking our holidays at Baile-na-Cille for the next 20 years!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Geoff H
Verbier, Valais, Switzerland
Reviewed September 15, 2012

i write and edit guidebooks for a living. i never tell the owners. in this case, the owner has a major chip on his shoulder. lovely location. he just does not want to work. if you pay up and smile, he is pleasant. mention the filthy state of the shower, and he turns nasty. the food is good but massively overpriced. just don't say so. overall very bad value for money. but stunning location. not recommended at all.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Doug S
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2012

A lovely peaceful spot - the views are breathtaking and the gardens/beach would be perfect on a good day. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The public areas in the house are fascinating and together the whole place feels very welcoming and homely. I was welcomed by Richard who had stayed up despite my relatively late arrival. He helped me find somewhere safe for my bike which is just as well as the winds were well up during the night and following morning, I only dined there one night but the food was sublime! My only regret was not being able to get the recipe for the aubergine/tomato dish :) If you're looking for 'chain hotel bland', then this is maybe not for you but otherwise it's well worth visiting here - I had a really nice time - many thanks to all - guests, staff and owners alike.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank NeilAitkenhead
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Stunning position in remote Lewis - it really is as good as it looks in the photos - Jo & Richard do a fabulous job looking after their guests. The food was inventive, plentiful and delicious. Stayed 5 nights and would have happily stayed longer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank robindaly
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I have never written a trip advisor recommendation for anything, but my experience at Baile na Cille requires that I do! I sincerely hope that Jo and Richard (the proprietors) do not have any more guests like me come to visit their B&B, for their own sanity. If it is the case that you are prone to disaster, you might consider making a reservation at Baile na Cille. Where do I start? Getting the manual car from the airport that I was in a panic about how to drive? Or negotiating how to reschedule my St. Kilda trip that got cancelled two days in a row? Or how about the Highland cow I hit with my car in the dark just miles from their place? By all counts I should be in a psychiatric ward from all that happened, if it were not for Jo and Richard 's concern, attention, and unbelievable help. I won't actually list the things they did because I would hate to have this be an expectation of their guests! But needless to say they absolutely saved my butt and saved my vacation. If you are the kind of person that wants to stay in a corporate, laminated, sterile hotel, stay clear! But if you are the kind of person who loves comfort, warmth, and good cheer, stay here! I have never been treated with such care and kindness by people I was paying. A truly special place. And a great deal, by the way, for solo travellers, both in terms of the cost plus in terms of always having very nice people around to talk to.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank PJ H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Timsgarry
Hotel Hebrides
#6 of 24 in Stornoway
Twenty Seven
Twenty Seven
#3 of 24 in Stornoway

Been to Baile-na-Cille? Share your experiences!