“Uninspiring”
Review of Caladh Inn

Caladh Inn
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Stornoway
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Nothing wrong with this hotel, but just all "average". Friendly reception, clean and warm room, but small single bed. Tea making facilities. Probably oldest TV I can remember seeing, so old it didn't show the pictures in the right format, but there are worse things in life!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank AH444

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Stayed here for three nights whilst exploring Isle of Lewis and Isle of Harris.
Room very clean and tidy, very quiet, staff polite and courteous, evening meal was very good as was the breakfast. Not far from the ferry terminal which was convenient at 5am!!

Room Tip: From what I saw all rooms are the same
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Phil M
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Stayed for one night in this hotel , it's very basic but it is a 2star hotel so can't expect luxury. My room was a double and of a decent size , the heating could have been a tad warmer but it was tolerable and not cold , my room faced the front and I thought wasn't noisey even though it faced the main road. Inside the room was most things that you would need my only gripe was the folding iron press didn't work. The toilets are a bit irritating with the noise after flushing and the extractor makes a bit of noise. The resteraunt was very good , the carvery is a good idea and seems to be popular with guests. The staff are friendly enough and willing to help . Overall would I go back , no I don't think I would the hotel looks a bit dated and needs tarted up , having said that there's not too much wrong with it.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank McIntosh95
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Stayed here a year ago while they were upgrading. It seems that the only thing upgraded were the doors to the rooms. The furniture and decor is tired and dated. There was only one available socket in the room - which stank of smoke - and the television was a 4:3 version so old that it had no remote control. It was impossible to get a signal on the free wifi. Extremely disappointed, but at least the food was good in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Get a room that has a view, rather than one that looks onto another wall 4 feet away.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank spotthescot
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I do not recognise the less than generous reviews after my one night stay here. It is a very very good 2 star hotel. My room was a good size twin and the bathroom was very large. The room was clean, tidy and well maintained.
The staff were all very helpful and friendly. I would highly recommend the great value evening buffet meal. So many choices, all hot and fresh and good quality. The breakfast buffet was ample, hot and tasty. The coffee was great.
There is a nice bar beside the restaurant. Guests can use the snooker room which is a lovely space to use if you are with friends even if you don't want to play.
It is not fair to expect 5 star quality when the hotel aims to satisfy at a different level. It should be judged and reviewed in comparison to other places in the same range.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank alanandsara
Reviewed February 20, 2014

If you're looking for a traditional restaurant serving good local food/produce, go somewhere else. The black pudding served at breakfast is drowned in oil. It is a modern hotel and restaurant and fine if you like that sort of thing. The room I stayed in had no view other than a dark enclosed area and noise from other rooms and in the corridor seemed like it was coming from inside my room. Staff though, were really friendly and always pleased to help.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Tom L
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Please be aware this hotel has a 4 star rating and I can tell you it does not even get a 1 star ! Moved from room to room because of the staff making noise at midnight. I eventually was given a "refurbished"" room. I was at a loss to see what had been refurbished . There was no curtain on the bathroom window which over looked the roundabout and a main road,and the "view " out the other window was a huge skip which the staff late at night used to throw rubbish in! The furniture was stained as well as carpets. I don't mind basic hotels but as it is advertising as a 4 star I was very disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank lesleyb456
FOHManager, General Manager at Caladh Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Thank you for your review. While it’s lovely to receive many good reviews such as those further down the page, critical comment is equally welcome if it helps us to improve service.

Firstly, it’s important for me to correct a factual error in your review, so that TripAdvisor members are not misled. This hotel does not have a 4 star rating and is never advertised by us as 4 star. The hotel does, in fact, hold a 2 star VisitScotland rating. We inspect and maintain our rooms to that standard, so that we continue to receive the rating from VisitScotland .

We are in the process of refurbishing bedrooms – currently 20 rooms are being modernised with new bathrooms and replacement windows as appropriate and others will follow.

I would like to make a more thorough investigation into the matters raised in your review and would appreciate an email from you with a little more detail, if you would be kind enough to write to me at Christina@calahotels.com.

Our first priority is to provide our guests with hospitality that pleases and we’re generally successful in that aim. However, on this occasion we appear to have failed and I offer you my apologies

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stornoway
The Crown Hotel
Doune Braes Hotel
Doune Braes Hotel
#1 of 1 in Carloway
Stornoway Bed and Breakfast Ltd

Been to Caladh Inn? Share your experiences!