Caladh Inn
Harris Hotel(Tarbert)
  • Restaurant
Aultbea Hotel(Aultbea)
View Hotel
All reviewsferry terminalbreakfast was buffet stylesnooker tableresidents loungecoach tourstar hotelreception stafftown centreplace to eatshort staypleasant hotelone night staytwo nightscomfortable bedplenty of parkingtea and coffeeroom was large
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Stayed here in May 2012. The room was average and the view not so good. (Industrial compound!) But I ate in the empty restaurant and have to say the food was rather good!! The staff were very helpful and friendly throughout. I ate out the second night and wished I stayed at the Caladh for the carvery!!

Room Tip: Ask for a view, you never know!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Frazman
Reviewed April 22, 2012

This is such a shame! The staff are great, very helpful but the rooms......well out of a group of 3 travelling on business.....we changed rooms several times. Book in straight forward and easy, everyone very helpful, the reception area is not bad. Lift up to the rooms, a bit scary due to the slight drop when you get to the second floor.

My first room - bed was like a bag of rocks. Window was filthy looking over a yard, ok I can cope with the view but please clean the window, bathroom grouting needs a good bleach, turn my sink tap on and my colleague and neighbour thought the place was haunted due to all the clanging and squeeking.....Changed rooms....much better!

Colleague 1 First room - same view as we were next to each other and mucky window, toilet was falling off the wall to the extent that she was rocking (no drinking involved) when she sat down (!), made a cup of tea and the milk (all 4) went off 3 months previously....requested maintenance. The Handy man decided he needed to replace the whole toilet etc, so we asked for a room change, given a room with a large skylight. Considering the weather on the Isle of Lewis with rain and hail this was not the best option. We requested another room, they were fully booked until the next day. Next room was a family triple room and was fine for a few days.

Colleague 2 First and Only room - Seemed all ok, probably the best of the lot!

Food in the restaurant very, very good, carvery or menu options. Again great staff!!

Warning the lift is a bit dodgy, it seems to get to the floor and drop a few inches, its never level with the floor. The lift goes off at 11pm, so if you are out in Stornoway be ready for the stairs! The hotel is a maze of corridors, one wrong turn and I think you may be lost for days!

I would stay here again, as long as I was not paying and I could choose my room!!

Room Tip: Room 31 - Room 46 from our experience are OK - front rooms overlooks road
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Food is very good within the hotel the day staff are well trained and polite. Management are very polite in and around the hotel and are pleased to see you. I was let down by the night porter service for sure. I have to score high due to the day staff at the hotel were very good but i would score Terrible for the night service in this hotel.

Night service very poor !!!

I was told that a night porter would be on at night. I came down to the bar down stairs during the night to do some work on my computer at this time I was looking for the night porter to find out the password to get internet access. I walked about the hotel looking for somebody but I noticed there was a chap sleeping at reception on a couch. I thought he may of been a guest due to him not wearing a uniform but I needed to know the password. I woke him and he was very rude to me saying on awakeing "WHAT IS IT YOU WANT !!". I got a bit of a shock at this time I was thinking he may of been a guest after all but no he was the night porter. I finally got the password after about 10mins when i had to ask another guest stading outside if she could help me. She just laught when I told her what happened, she told me he is normally there most nights when she is here at the hotel as well. The lady comes down to make phone calls back home due to no signal in her room many thanks to her if she is reading this.

Another than that DAY staff are very good and well trained.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank james f
Reviewed December 24, 2011

You walk into a nice modern looking reception with friendly staff. You go up to your floor and are instantly taken back a couple of decades with the decor, a bit chilly as well.

On entering the room it's basic, although clean and tidy, and has all that you need for a short stay. I'm convinced the windows in the room were single glazed as the noise from the road outside was ridiculous.

The ensuite was definitely single glazed and even though the window had a frosted style sheet on it, there was no curtain, so it could be a little unnerving. The mirror, the cracked shower head and the grout between the tiles could all do with being replaced.

In the restaurant, Eleven, I was greeted by friendly and welcoming staff on the first two nights and then staff who couldn't be bothered on the second two nights. Can't fault the food though. Good quality and excellent portions.

In all, as the title says, just glad I wasn't paying.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Roscomillennium
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Like many hotels in Stornoway, the common areas of the hotel are refurbished and modern but rooms need updating.
What sets this hotel apart from the rest is the food. Dont be put off by the words 'buffet' or 'carvery'. I find whats on offer to be exceptional in both selection and quality. There is also an a la carte menu with daily specials. Service is efficient but unobtrusive and the whole experience is great value. Give it a try.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business