“Brilliant place to stay”
Review of County Hotel

County Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Stornoway
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Stayed 2 night while exploring the Hebrides. The rooms were very comfortable with good en-suite facilities, tea/coffee making and TV. The breakfast was very good and the hotel dining was really interesting offering a mixture of authentic Indian or English meals. The staff were very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for County Hotel

Reviewed August 10, 2014

Stayed in this hotel whilst in Stornoway for work. Arrived just after 9pm on the first night so we just missed the last call for food, but the staff stayed back to cook for us which was nice of them. The guy who checked us in was brilliant. Decent sized room with a really comfy bed. Shower was just alright. The 3 nights we were there, we had supper in the hotel. First 2 nights were lovely (Garlic Chicken curry first night, Chicken Dopiaza second night), 3rd night I had a cheeseburger which was nothing special. Overall, great hotel that I would recommend to people coming here.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We arrived by yacht late on Saturday night. Everywhere was booked. The County Hotel moved tables, found seats and made us very welcome. There was food for all tastes, those that had the Indian menu said it was excellent and my lamb shank was to die for.
Top marks to all staff.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Toni D
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Stayed at this hotel this week for an overnight business trip, the hotel is very centrally located and within a couple of hundred yards of the Ferry Terminal so great that there was no extra drive at the end of a 3hr trip on the ferry. The hotel looks a bit dull and dated looking from the outside , however inside the hotel looks fine very old worldly with a bit of character. The bedroom I had was room 4 and it was a really good size with decent decor and looked to me as if it had recently been renovated, the outlook for my room was out onto the main road but it didn't suffer from traffic noise. Downstairs there's a bar/ resteraunt I wouldn't say it's the best iv ever visited but it wasn't bad . Overall I enjoyed my stay and probably would consider staying over again. I forgot to say I thought the bed and linen were superb. Parking at the front of the hotel was easy to get a parking place.

Room Tip: Room 4 would be a good choice.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 26, 2014

First time on the island and stayed at the County Hotel for 2 Nights. Where do I start. Bed is only is 4 foot wide so a couple has to hang onto the side so you don't fall out. What they say on their itinerary on the web site is not offered. No hair dryer(so advised to bring your own) no trouser press, no seat in the room so apart from the bed no where to sit. No wardrobe, only hook at back of door to hang clothes. No ladies sanitary facilities offered in bathroom. Shower has no power, but it is a nice bathroom. Bedside lights don't work, no literature in the room to inform you what's available on the island. Even though the hotel has 18 rooms there is only enough parking space at the rear of the building on rough ground for 4 cars, after that its up to you to find a parking area.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
6  Thank WendyandCraig2013
Reviewed February 27, 2014

the last twice we have visited the County Hotel for a meal we have unfortunately been refused service this is because being a couple we were unable to sit at an empty table for four, even though there were several empty both times. Not a good image for visitors. We are a local couple and there was no welcome at all.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kitkat18
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I sit here in my rubbish room so cold my nose is freezing despite being in my bed for 2 hours. Room décor is from 1974. I don't mean its decorated like the 70s I mean it has not been decorated since the 70s. Dinner was advertised as a lamb bhuna but it was more like a sheep fat stew. The wireless was the last straw. I get faster data transfer on 3G than a full strength signal from their wireless access point. Hotel wasn't cheap either. Glad its for one night only. I'm NEVER cold. cant wait to GTF. would be 1 out of 5 but the staff are very friendly so one point for them bringing the total to a rubbish 2/5!

Room Tip: Best tip is choose a room at another hotel
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank Dave R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stornoway
Royal Hotel Stornoway
#1 of 1 in Carloway
Hebridean Guest House
Hebridean Guest House
#6 of 24 in Stornoway

Been to County Hotel? Share your experiences!