“What a Gem!”

Solas Guest House
Ranked #7 of 24 Stornoway B&B and Inns
“What a Gem!”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Myself and my husband visited Stornoway as our last stop on a tour of the Outer Hebrides and we couldn't have landed at a better place than Solas. Absolutley perfect in every way, the room was very spacious and immaculate with huge shower and a generous supply of coffee, tea, hot chocolate and biscuits. Iain and Karen were the perfect hosts and we would not hesitate to return should we get the opportunity. It is well located near the airport so close enough to the town but with the peacefulness of the sea views. The airport did not bother us at all with minimal volumes of flights happening on a daily basis. Can't recommend this enough and can't wait to go back. The Isle of Lewis is also a gem in itself and we were very sad to leave!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Stayed here for 4 days in june (our second visit) Iain and Karen( the owners) are the most delightful couple you could meet.The accommodation is absolutely first class and the food is the same. Our only problem we had was that we only stayed four days! however we hope to rectify this next year.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dalry, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

This was the first b&b we stayed at on a 3 day road trip. The place is run by a lovely couple which you can tell truly cares about their guests. Our bedroom was very spacious with a good size en-suite bathroom. The decor is very modern so you don't feel like being away from home. Our room came with a balcony with a lovely view over the bay and Stornoway airport. Solas Guest House is located in a quiet and relaxing area of the island and was perfect after a long day on the road. Breakfast was great and the scrambled eggs divine! One of my best b&b experiences so far, I highly recommend this place.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Elvy M
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night only, but would have been happy to stay a lot longer. Spacious, modern room and bathroom, fabulous veranda, great sea views... Friendly and great service. Scrambled eggs for breakfast to rival my mother's... Can't think of anything else I would have wanted...

• Stayed April 2014
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

My other half and I enjoyed a wee break together and chose to stay in style at Solas. Sooooo much better than any other hotel in town. Karen and Ian were very welcoming and made us feel at home. We were even offered a wee drink after a day out!
The room was gorgeous (the whole house is stunning!) and decorated very well. The Superior Room had the most amusing (yes, amusing) panoramic view. You got the whole coastline and beach to your right, then the airport runways to your left! You can hear the planes, but there are not many and it wasn't actually disturbing. The balcony (enter the wind at your own peril) had a second inside door to doubly protect the room from the northerly wind. This also helped reduce the noise from next door (the taxis know it as the B&B that looks at the airport).
There was a great selection of teas, coffee and hot chocolate in the room. The shower was massive and really powerful (let it run for a few minutes to heat up!). The wifi was decent too. The breakfast is awesome. Ian makes his own sausages and they are lovely. There is a good selection and it is all freshly cooked for you (you fill out a menu request the night before). Filled me up for the whole day! It is 2 minutes from the airport and 3 miles from town (9 pound for a taxi). We 100% recommend staying here.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I have just returned yesterday from my stay at the Solas Guest House and had such a great time I wanted to write this review while it is still fresh in my mind.

My colleague and I stayed here for 3 nights from 14th-17th January.

We came in from Glasgow and Edinburgh so arrived at different times. On arrival at the Airport I could immediately see the house it is in an excellent location some 300yrds from the airport but dont let that put you off it is a very quiet airport with flights starting from around 9am and finishing not long after 7pm. I didnt hear the planes in those times either unless the balcony doors were open.

As soon as you arrive at Solas you feel instantly welcome, in some b&bs the service is great but you just don't feel at home - however Karen and Iain are warm and friendly and excellent hosts.You instantly feel welcome and it doesn't feel contrived at all - just genuine. Karen and Iain really make this place what it is - nothing is too much of a bother. They are there if you need them but give you the space and privacy you require. They also offered a welcome G&T which was gladly accepted on our arrival! Another point which makes it so special is the breakfasts!! Iain is a butcher and you can tell - the cooked breakfast was beautifully cooked and the sausages to die for! A must if you go!

Now to the rooms which were equally great! I was in the larger room which was beautifully decorated and very big with plenty of space. My colleagues room was also decorated to a high standard and although slightly smaller than mine it was very spacious also. Each room has an en-suite bathroom with very powerful shower. The rooms both have a balcony overlooking the bay and my colleague and I had the luck to witness the sunrise from our balconies watching the Bright orange full moon go down - quite a sight! The beds were very comfortable and cozy with plenty of pillows and the blackout curtains ensured the room was pitch black at night - this must be a huge benefit in the summer when it is light for most of the day!

All in all we had an amazing time - the rooms were gorgeous which was important to us, the breakfasts were amazing and the hosts fantastic. I would have no hesitations booking here again and will recommend it to anyone. Hopefully I will have an opportunity to return as I have no doubts this is the best on the island - you would be mad not to go here!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank ryanxash
South Wales
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Stayed here for two nights just before Christmas. It's in a great location near the airport and a short hop into Stornoway. Karen & Iain were excellent hosts and provided some wine & beer on arrival after a rather bumpy (and delayed) flight in from the mainland. Great room with 'hidden' en-suite and views across the bay. Breakfast was great with a good choice and quality to boot, especially the sausages. Wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple