“Terrible evening”
Review of Caledonian Hotel

Caledonian Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stornoway
Caledonian Hotel
Ranked #23 of 24 Stornoway B&B and Inns
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Terrible evening”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I went to the steakhouse on September, the 8th, and I had a very bizarre evening. Definitely not a place I can recommend.

The food was okay. I had mussels as a starter, price and quality were acceptable. As a main, I had a rump steak. I have had better steaks in my life, I have had worse stakes in my life – but generally speaking, I would have expected more from a restaurant which calls itself a steak house.

The terrible thing was the service, particularly the head waitress. Yes, she was friendly to me, albeit not very attentive. The problem was how she behaved towards the other waitresses. Halfway through my meal, I stopped caring for the food and just felt sorry for the employees. Her behaviour was so unbearable that it spoiled the whole experience of dining out.

The head waitress was constantly yelling at the other waitresses. She was so loud that I could hear everything – I could give you now a detailed summary of her personal problems and the problems of her employees (“If she comes without a hair tie again, I am going to fire her”). The saddest thing was that one of the other, younger waitresses called her “mum” at some time – obviously she was her daughter. The reaction: The head waitress yelled at her in the most aggressive voice “Never call me mum again”. At one time, my beer glass was empty. The head waitress was standing right next to me. But instead of asking me whether I want another one, she just screamed to one of her co-workers “You do not care about your customers enough!” - Then she left my table. The only reason I gave a tip in the end was my fear that the younger waitresses would get in trouble if I would not do it. The restaurant is not very big – probably 12 to 14 tables. When I was there, only 3 tables were full (6.00pm until 7.30 pm). I do not even want to know what happens if all tables are full and it really becomes stressful.

When I left, I felt very bitter and – I have to say – somehow cheated of my money. The staff did not even try to whisper. They had no problem whatsoever to share all their thoughts and aggressions with me. But when I go out for dining, I do not only want to enjoy the food, I am also looking for a quiet and relaxing atmosphere. The behaviour of the staff was unbearable – there is no other word to describe it.

Room Tip: I was not a resident at the hotel but only came for dinner.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank TravelPhilAB
Marie T, Front Office Manager at Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear that you did not have an enjoyable meal in our Steakhouse Restaurant. We are shocked by the behavior of the waiting staff and can only apologize to you that it ruined your evening. On this date due to sickness we had to use agency staff whom dont usually work here. After reading your review we will not be using this agency again. The staff that work at the Caledonian Hotel pride themselves on excellent customer service, we can asure you this behaviour is not normal. I hope that if you are on the Island again you will give us another chance to show what brilliant service we can give.

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Grantown-on-Spey, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I had excellent cod meal in the bar. Nothing outstanding elsewhere its a hard working commercial
hotel on the harbourside of stornoway ,i had a single room 201 with a view of roofs, tv reception very poor on bbc channels not a tourist hotel

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Donald m
Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed your meal in our lounge bar.
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Only book at a last resort, needs updating, corridor stinks and one of our rooms stinks of urine. Breakfast is okay but doesn't make up for the horrible rooms. Staff are great though and friendly. Only staying because there is nowhere else available.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank nmilne
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry you didnt enjoy your stay with us. The rooms are a little outdated but we are refurbishing the bedrooms this winter.
We are sorry that you think the room smelt of urine, this is very unusual and had you brought it to our attention at the time we would have sorted it out for you.
We are pleased you enjoyed your breakfast.

Travelers are raving about these Stornoway hotels

Inverness
Reviewed July 8, 2012

The restaurant has nice decor and a friendly atmosphere. The food is good and varied for a steakhouse. The waitresses are nice but could do with some training - service is extreamely slow. Also, ahead of the meal we had preordered as it was a large group. Upon arriving, a waitress informed us that there was not enough steak for everyone so someone would have to choose something else - excellent! At the end of the meal the group asked for coffee - only to be told that "we do not serve coffee". Some simple training and carefull management could greatly improve this restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for a table near the window.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank InvernessSarah2011
Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed your meal in our steakhouse Restaurant. We are sorry to hear that on this occasion we ran out of the steak you would have liked, we can only apologize.
Regarding the waiting staff, we have had some problems in the past with sickness and had to use agency staff - we now realize from reviews on trip advisor that these staff are not up to standards, we will not be using them again. We can assure you we now have dedicated customer focused waiting staff in our restaurant and hope you will visit us again so we can prove it.
Lanark, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Had room 203 - Single Room with view over water & ferry
TV worked in my room but other guests had no reception. Shower was useless and bathroom needs to be upgraded....now
Only pub grub available on Monday as steak house it closed Monday
Staff pleasant but £69 for a single room is not value for money. Would book another hotel when returning to Stornaway.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Mike W
Nairn
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Basic clean and warm rooms that are centraly located and handy for the ferry terminal. The Bathrooms were reasonably well maintained and clean with plenty of Hot Water.

There is ample parking at the front of the hotel

The food is passable but I would really expect a steak house to be able to cook a steak to the customers request.

The service is friendly and unobtrusive.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Millport18
Reviewed March 11, 2012

I stayed here for three nights on business. First impressions were poor. I walked in and the staff member who was to check me in was telling her friends a story in the bar. She saw me but continued with her story and I waited at least 4 minutes to be served - not good. The staff member was very polite but this is not a good first impression. The hotel is very tired and in seruious need of upgrading. 80's style colour scheme, old carpets abd bed covers and seriously chipped furniture and doors. The tap on my bath was baddly chipped as well - the whole place gives an impression of very little money spent on quality fo accommodation. Breakfast on my first day was spoiled by orange juice that was rancid. I pointed this out and the staff member tasted it, said it was off, and said he would throw it out. On the second day breakfast my cutlery was very greasy. The bed springs stuck into my back. My radiator was extremely noisy when heating so I turned it off at night, and of course it got cold.
On the plus side there was plenty of hot water very quickly in the bathroom. I would have moved hotel but as I was working all day and just needed somewhere to sleep I left it as it was.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business