“Brilliant meal. Again”

Dining options: Reservations
Stornoway
“Brilliant meal. Again”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I have reviewed Solas before, but make no apologies for singing its praises again. Went there last Saturday night with friends and had a wonderful meal. Knew there was a bit of a re-shuffle in the kitchen and was delighted that Eoghainn has managed to add to the restaurant's already blossoming reputation.
I started with the smoked salmon terrine which was rich and strong, but light and very tasty.
The main course was venison and I have to say, whist always a fan of the meat, I have on occasion found dishes (not here) where it has been poorly cooked leading to a disappointing meal.
This was perfect.
Simply perfect.
I can honestly say that I have seldom tasted a meat dish so succulent.
I am not known for being silent for long periods of time, but I'm afraid my contribution to the conversation at our table completely stopped whilst I 'appreciated' what was in front of me.
I followed with the Banoffee Pie and a dollop of ice-cream, then in a moment of clarity ( I don't have many), asked for the cheese-board and a coffee.
The perfect compliment to one of the best meals I've had in many years

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank NorrieT

Topanga, California
“Surprisingly good”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is a restaurant in the Cabarfeidh Hotel. We were there early so had the place almost to ourselves. The food was excellent. We were seated by the big window wall which was pleasant.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank wsk3
Penicuik, United Kingdom
“Great food and service”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

This restaurant is in the Caberfeidh hotel and is fairly large, however the service was simply great throughout the evening. Restaurant staff were attentive and the menu was very varied with dishes that would suit most tastes.

The meal was just superb, well cooked using local produce with good size portions all very attractive presentation. The food tasted great!!

If in the area again we will revisit the restaurant for a great meal.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Broomhillbillys
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Solas and the Sun”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We've been again with friends who are locals. This time for Sunday lunch. It was a blustery day, but when the sun came out, it was pretty hot in the conservatory bit and you had to put up with the sight of the smokers standing outside the windows, so maybe better to sit inside..
Interesting wine list and we had a goodish NZ pinot noir. I thought my Lewis lamb was a bit ordinary, but the mussels as a starter were brilliant; I needed a spoon to eat all the very tasty sauce. Service was a bit up and down, but mostly attentive.

• Visited April 2013
Stornoway
“Consistently excellent”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

If a hotel is judged by its staff and its food, then the Cabarfeidh Hotel in Stornoway and the Solas restaurant are right up there with the best. We ate there last Wednesday and enjoyed a wonderful meal. Being able to swap and mix between the set menu and the a-la-carte enables you to enjoy the full range of wonderful local produce on offer and was no trouble to the staff who were only too willing to ensure we got what we wanted.
Local scallops, monkfish,lobster, crab,salmon and mussels were available for those who love their maritime produce; I had scallops for my starter, Fiona, monkfish adorned with scallops for her main.
Vivek and his team ensured the meal was cooked to perfection.
The management team of Tom and Paula are as friendly, attentive and professional as the best staff in the business.
Seek them out.
They will make the difference between a great meal and an exceptional one.
Rhoda and Amy on the front desk will ensure you get the service the hotel is reknowned for.
I have to admit I take my mother and grown up kids (when they are at home) to the restaurant regularly for the similarly excellent, and great value, lunch menu, so I'm kind of biased when it comes to the Caberfeidh/Solas.
I reckon if it's good enough for me to spend my money there regularly, I think it's good enough for you to try it at least once.
I promise you won't be disappointed.

• Visited July 2012