“Great food and service”

Ranked #15 of 42 Restaurants in Stornoway
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 4, 2013

This restaurant is in the Caberfeidh hotel and is fairly large, however the service was simply great throughout the evening. Restaurant staff were attentive and the menu was very varied with dishes that would suit most tastes.

The meal was just superb, well cooked using local produce with good size portions all very attractive presentation. The food tasted great!!

If in the area again we will revisit the restaurant for a great meal.

2  Thank Broomhillbillys
There are newer reviews for Solas Restaurant

Reviewed May 4, 2013

We've been again with friends who are locals. This time for Sunday lunch. It was a blustery day, but when the sun came out, it was pretty hot in the conservatory bit and you had to put up with the sight of the smokers standing outside the windows, so maybe better to sit inside..
Interesting wine list and we had a goodish NZ pinot noir. I thought my Lewis lamb was a bit ordinary, but the mussels as a starter were brilliant; I needed a spoon to eat all the very tasty sauce. Service was a bit up and down, but mostly attentive.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

If a hotel is judged by its staff and its food, then the Cabarfeidh Hotel in Stornoway and the Solas restaurant are right up there with the best. We ate there last Wednesday and enjoyed a wonderful meal. Being able to swap and mix between the set menu and the a-la-carte enables you to enjoy the full range of wonderful local produce on offer and was no trouble to the staff who were only too willing to ensure we got what we wanted.
Local scallops, monkfish,lobster, crab,salmon and mussels were available for those who love their maritime produce; I had scallops for my starter, Fiona, monkfish adorned with scallops for her main.
Vivek and his team ensured the meal was cooked to perfection.
The management team of Tom and Paula are as friendly, attentive and professional as the best staff in the business.
Seek them out.
They will make the difference between a great meal and an exceptional one.
Rhoda and Amy on the front desk will ensure you get the service the hotel is reknowned for.
I have to admit I take my mother and grown up kids (when they are at home) to the restaurant regularly for the similarly excellent, and great value, lunch menu, so I'm kind of biased when it comes to the Caberfeidh/Solas.
I reckon if it's good enough for me to spend my money there regularly, I think it's good enough for you to try it at least once.
I promise you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank NorrieT
Reviewed February 29, 2012

The food at Solas is always of a high quality, and the presentation is great. The saying "Breakfast like a King" must have been written to describe the Scottish breakfast served here. It is cooked to order, piping hot, and has enough on the plate to feed the largest appetite.

Evening meals are equally of a high standard. The early bird dinner, served from 5pm until 6pm, is exceptional value. I had a gorgeous dish of mussels in a creamy garlic sauce, followed by chicken breast stuffed with crowdie (a type of soft cheese), and they were fabulous. I was too full for dessert, but had coffee and delicious home made tablet (fudge), and the cost was only £13.95, not counting the coffee.

I recommend this restaurant to both visitors, (as I was) and to local people.

1  Thank Giggy5373
Reviewed November 26, 2011

We stayed in Stornoway for 2 nights as part of our trip with Norwegian friends. We ate in this restaurant on the second night. It is in the Cabarfeidh Hotel, about 400 metres from the harbour. We were not quite sure what to expect, as the restaurant was large. However, after a drink in the cocktail bar we were called to our table, and were pleasantly surprised - we were the only people in the restaurant and a special area behind a glass partition had been laid out for us. We felt special already! The menu was superb and so was the food and wine. The waiter and waitresses were very attentive, efficient and friendly - just the kind I like. We had a great evening.

3  Thank GeorgeSinclair