“Excellent lunch”

Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Port Ellen
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed November 5, 2012

As usual, an excellent lunch, friendly staff, and a reasonable price.
Good specials menu, and I can really recommend the crab chowder.
We will be back!

Reviewed September 27, 2012

This is a useful little place to eat lunch or stop for a coffee. The food was ok. Staples like jacket pots, sarnies etc., with a few more ambitious specials on a board. I had venison and red cabbage which was good; the venison not overcooked and tender. Haggis jacket potato went down a storm. Soup was a little tasteless. But basically if you don't go in with high expectations you'll be happy. The excellent Malt will cheer you up. The service is hit and miss. Our food was served swiftly the times we went there but the waitresses then disappeared. If you're in a hurry to pay the Bill you can do so at the counter in the next room. Steer clear of Islay beer it's filthy. Choice of white or red wine - one bottle of each. White was delivered to the table warm in a vacuum cooler which we were told would cool it down. We switched to red.

Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Really pleased, service excellent!

Of course finished with a great tour and a tasting!
Well worth the visit, would go back again. Staff very friendly.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

My partner and I had been for a nice long walk and decided to call in to the kiln cafe for a bite to eat and a cuppa. I had visited here before and was raving about it to my partner (his first visit).
When we arrived at 3.20 there were a few tables occupied with customers tucking into nice looking food. The waitress came over to us and looking a bit flustered asked us what we wanted, when I said we'd like lunch she disappeared off to find a colleague who said we could have soup! Then she promptly disappeared! We sat at a table for a few minutes before deciding that we didn't fancy staying in what seemed like a hostile atmosphere!
I felt really miffed as we'd travelled the length of the island to get there before they stopped serving. 3.45 according to the sign outside and on the distillery times leaflet.
It's a real shame but I really don't think I shall give Ardbeg my custom again, it's always been a favourite place while on Islay.

2  Thank honeycat2307
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We had stopped at the Ardbeg Distillery cafe a couple of times before on previous visits to Islay and so headed back again when cycling along the south coast. It can be quite busy around lunchtime - we had to wait ten minutes or so for a table. The menu is very good and well priced - although we were disappointed that the meringue with fresh fruit and cream and caramel sauce wasn't on the menu this time as it was a meal in itself! Places for lunch are quite limited along the south end of Islay so even if you do not do the Ardbeg Distillery tour it is still worth paying a visit to the cafe.