“Disappointed by rude service”
Review of The Old Kiln Cafe

The Old Kiln Cafe
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Port Ellen
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My partner and I had been for a nice long walk and decided to call in to the kiln cafe for a bite to eat and a cuppa. I had visited here before and was raving about it to my partner (his first visit).
When we arrived at 3.20 there were a few tables occupied with customers tucking into nice looking food. The waitress came over to us and looking a bit flustered asked us what we wanted, when I said we'd like lunch she disappeared off to find a colleague who said we could have soup! Then she promptly disappeared! We sat at a table for a few minutes before deciding that we didn't fancy staying in what seemed like a hostile atmosphere!
I felt really miffed as we'd travelled the length of the island to get there before they stopped serving. 3.45 according to the sign outside and on the distillery times leaflet.
It's a real shame but I really don't think I shall give Ardbeg my custom again, it's always been a favourite place while on Islay.

2  Thank honeycat2307

Reviewed July 28, 2012

We had stopped at the Ardbeg Distillery cafe a couple of times before on previous visits to Islay and so headed back again when cycling along the south coast. It can be quite busy around lunchtime - we had to wait ten minutes or so for a table. The menu is very good and well priced - although we were disappointed that the meringue with fresh fruit and cream and caramel sauce wasn't on the menu this time as it was a meal in itself! Places for lunch are quite limited along the south end of Islay so even if you do not do the Ardbeg Distillery tour it is still worth paying a visit to the cafe.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Lovely food for a light lunch or even a heavy lunch if you go one of the desserts. I had the cheesecake - amazing - the best cheese cake I've ever had!

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Had several meals here and everything we ate was superb! Too bad it's not open in the evening! Quick and attentive service.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

We were at the Old Kiln Cafe during the Whisky Festival so it was inevitablly busy and we had to wait a wee while for a table. That was no problem and the food was served quickly. We had a light lunch which was very moderately priced and it was up to the standard that we have come to expect at this establishment. We always make a point of eating there once during our stay on the island.