“Worst B&B I've Ever Stayed At!”
Review of The Monachs

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Charlotte
The Monachs
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Access to the house is via a very hilly stone track, be aware of chipping to the paintwork of your vehicle! The entrance to the house has high slippy slate steps with no handrail. Greeted by a drunk male who directed me to a current guests bedroom, and nil assistance with luggage. Both he and his wife were unfriendly. Steep winding stairs to the bedroom which had no kettle, nor milk, nor a descent shower. Laundry was left lying on the landing, which was an obstruction. Breakfast must be between 8am and 9am! at a large round table with other guests! Too bad if you dislike the smell of bacon or listen to guests bragging about hunting! This couple need to clean up their act and also clean up the dog faeces lying around outside. The only good thing about it was I LEFT. This is not a B&B that is suitable for anyone with impaired mobility, if you value privacy, if you are a vegetarian, aye, this pair of old fools are at it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BrendaBlairgowrie
There are newer reviews for The Monachs

Reviewed May 16, 2012

We began our tour of Scotland on Islay and decided to book a room at the Monachs based largely on the reviews below. We were most certainly not left dissapointed! From the moment we arrived until the last minute we were there we were made to feel like this was a home away fom home. As hosts, Ronnie and Mari were always on hand to ensure our Islay experience was a rich one, from the welcome whisky that greeted our arrival to the hearty breakfasts we started each day with. The rooms were spacious and impeccably designed, with comfortable beds, amazing views and an eclectic collection of antique furniture. There's not much more to say other than this: a trip to Islay would not be complete without a stay at the Monachs!

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Timtheradge
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Not sure how much more I can say that hasn't already been said by everyone else except that we arrived on a windy wet night, were running late due to the ferry and the weather, and yet we were welcomed outside, Ronnie helped us with the bags, we were offered a glass of wine or whisky, the kids were offered a glass of juice or milk.... A better welcoming I'm not sure I've experienced before. Our two boys loved Gillas the dog and that she kept trying to "steal" the kit kate out of our room - an unending source of mirth.

Although it's a short drive out of Port Charlotte we had the added bonus of a young deer bounding across in front of our car on the drive home one night - you couldn't have made the boys happier!

A fantastic B&B, very welcoming and I heartily encourage you stay here. Not to mention that so many other B&B's on the island appear to be kid unfriendly!

Thanks Ronnie and Mari :)

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank JxRx
Reviewed October 13, 2011

A fine B&B run by an awesome couple and their lovely dog who can fetch a scotch bottle by name! Our room on the first floor was reasonably spacious, quiet, good size bath, clean towels and linen and had a great view. Breakfasts cooked by the hosts were un-compromised and Ronnie was always helpful with maps and directions (not that one really needs it in Islay) and Marie was prompt to help with restaurant reservations. One of my finest B&B stays indeed.

Room Tip: If you want it really quiet then choose the rooms on the first floor.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Dravidiantraveler
Reviewed October 10, 2011

This is the most amazing Bed&Breakfast I have ever stayed at in my life:

every detail is made with so much love, you can tell that the Browns are living for this place.
+ outstanding night having whisky and sharing stories together with Ronnie in front of the fire place
+ the breakfast is prepared with so much care, fresh fruit every day (it is actually indescribable how outstanding it is - I have stayed in many 5-star hotels over the past couple of years and nowhere was the breakfast made and served in this way)
+ really nice view from the rooms, rooms prepared with much care
Last but not least, their wonder dog is amazing, able to bring whisky, water, vodka or whatever you you tell him to.

All together, this was an unforgettable stay. Ronnie and Mari, see you next year, cheers, Paul

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Paul_from_Luxembourg
Reviewed September 22, 2011

My wife and I recently stayed here on our honeymoon and the experience was fantastic. Our hosts were warm and friendly, the breakfast was great and the views were spectacular. We would highly recommend The Monachs (just like a lot of other people here on tripadvisor).

Be sure to follow the directions on the web site and in your confirmation for finding this B&B - it's definitely out in the country and, if you're not looking for the white stone on the side of the road exactly 2.8 miles out of Port Charlotte you'll end up driving back and forth quite a bit.

Room Tip: Ignore my rating on the swimming pool - it's a mis-click.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank James M
Reviewed September 19, 2011

I went whisky tasting on the Isle of Islay for my Dad's 70th as a suprise with my 2 brothers. We had a great time staying here. It was clean tidy comfortable, great breakfasts. Ronnie and Marie our hosts were very welcoming and nothing was too much troble. Although nearer Port Charlotte than Port Ellen, where more distilleries are situated, it is easy to get around and we would not have discovered Porthnahaven and one of the lovely beaches on the Atlantic coast if we had not stayed in this area. Port Charlotte also has a lovely hotel and restaurant.
Everyone looks for different things in accomodation but if you want great food, ambience, amazing views and to be made to feel very welcome I would strongly recommend this place to stay.
If I ever come back to Islay I will stay at the Monachs.

Room Tip: sea view, but both our twin rooms were lovely
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Glenegedale Guest House
#1 of 1 in Glenegedale
Dha Urlar Bed and Breakfast
No photo provided

Been to The Monachs? Share your experiences!